Send Topic Print
My now rusted bike... (Read 281 times)
metri

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Ottawa, Ontario
My now rusted bike...
04/01/12 at 06:39:32

I just felt like sharing my sad story. 2 years ago I finished my savage chop and it was pretty nice.
http://www.briansopinion.com/?p=38 will show you the pre- rusted bike.

I left it in a covered parking garage that wasn't heated for the winter and everything rusted. The handle bars (chrome ruined), one front fork let, battery box, sissy bar.... all ruined. It was such a disappointment. I love that bike and can't bring myself to ride it in rusty shape. It's embarrassing.

I'm thinking of parting it out (I'll post picks in Market place when I strip it.)

I would have a Lancer cam/carb, custom billet footpegs / handgrips (but handgrips are for a Harley bars so you'd have to take the SS cable too as it's custom Barnett cable), I guess there is some nice SS bar risers but they go with the to triple tree as that had to be machined as well. Anything else worth pulling off before I send it to the scrap heap?

Such a sad day yesterday... Time to find another bike.

I saw retreads bike for sale in the marketplace. Pretty nice rebuild. Wish there was one of those around the corner Smiley Maybe I could drive that home...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: My now rusted bike...
Reply #1 - 04/01/12 at 06:52:04

Why did it rust up so bad?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
metri

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #2 - 04/01/12 at 07:12:07

Excellent question I wish I could answer....

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #3 - 04/01/12 at 07:52:41

Sweeeet build! Why not just fix the areas that have rusted? Seems a shame to scrap it.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
metri

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #4 - 04/01/12 at 08:09:37

I did think of fixing it, but the seat is ruined, and the frame needs to be sanded and repainted... I figure it would be too expensive and time consuming to fix. It's really such a shame.

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #5 - 04/02/12 at 06:05:45

metri wrote on 04/01/12 at 08:09:37:
I did think of fixing it, but the seat is ruined, and the frame needs to be sanded and repainted... I figure it would be too expensive and time consuming to fix. It's really such a shame.

I disagree. I have had my bike since 2003 and in all that time the only nights it spent covered or "inside" were during maintenance. Needless to say it accumulated some rust over the years but I recently took it 100% apart and am going through it methodically cleaning, sanding, and repainting. Its starting to look great. The finished product will look great and I will appreciate it that much more. here is a pic that shows you what I am talking about.

very satisfying

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 04/02/12 at 09:02:18

Id run a coupla dry wall screws thru bolt holes so I could get down on it easier, Im doin some of that on mine, but its on the bike, 500 grit wet dry hauls the crappy old finish off pretty well,, then 800 & 1,000 grit to smooth it, I have a polish kit to put on a drill,, I hope it works out.

Id put oil on all the rust on the bars & silvery places & let it sit a day or so, then wipe & see how it looks, Brass brushes( dont buy a cheap one) dont scratch chrome. Once youve got the rust off, a wipe with some Ospho will stop the rust, A TINY little pinhole in the chrome will let rust stain a large area,, You may not be in near as bad a shape as you think.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #7 - 04/03/12 at 01:25:31

(I think I read this somewhere)

was there a way of somehow electrifying the whole frame
with low current over winter to prevent rust this way??

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #8 - 04/03/12 at 04:37:09

If you replace the bike, what is going to
stop another from rusting like this one?

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - 04/03/12 at 07:32:31

Good gravy man! That bike is sweet why dump it. Post some pics of the rusted bike...unless it's unsafe I'd just clean the rust off and ride it like a RAT bike!

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #10 - 04/03/12 at 11:50:33

you know what, he is right.......and I am such a nice guy that I will take that rusted hunk of junk off your hands for you. Dont worry about a thing just sign the title over and everything will be OK.  Grin

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #11 - 04/03/12 at 14:51:57

HEY.....wait a minute...this post was on April Fool's day....

but if you're for real thinking of scrapping it...I'll take it...no April Fool's either...I'll pay for shipping

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 04/03/12 at 17:09:34

From trusty steed to rusty steed,, Id ride it anyway..

IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #13 - 04/04/12 at 01:13:21

Man that's such an awesome looking scoot that I'd be hard pressed to say rust wouldn't add a little character.

I know when the inside of my bolts and joints started to rust on my pristine 2001 after I got I thought it was 'bad'. But now I've realized that if the rust comes after a time you've purchased your bike it's just a symbol of your and the lady's time together. I even have a bolt I took out of the sissy bar in the weeks after I got it that I refuse currently to put back. It was the first imperfection I made to the bike and for whatever reason it has some significance even if for the worst since this was the first machine I started wrenching on.

But I feel ya, letting rest get to your lady can make you feel so guilty. Sometimes you just have to embrace. I'm with others, post some pics!

IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #14 - 04/04/12 at 01:23:03

Splash07 - Nice work you're doing there.

I'm a college rider and it's beautiful to see appreciation for bikes that aren't a Suzondaki 1000 Super Sport. That doesn't just pertain to our beloved Savage there's just so many people on this forum that do great work.

Point being, I hate to see such an awesome bike be the cause of tear shed when it is a real piece of work. The only time I enjoy overfilling my gas tank is when I see such a piece steal my attention away from the pump thumping away on the outer road.  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 11:22:29

General CategoryThe Cafe › My now rusted bike...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.