Air flow........ (Read 142 times)
Georgiadigger

Abandon
"Hope" for
Gods sake?

Rebel from the GA SC line
Air flow........
03/31/12 at 23:52:47

Can you drill holes in the right side of air box to help air flow or does this hinder flow from under the seat? Would I have to rejet the carb if I created more air flow? I just bought a 2007 S40, it backfires very little. I was thinking of blocking flow from under seat and building a air dam from the side. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Respectfully, Rocky

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Air flow........
Reply #1 - 04/01/12 at 00:01:08

Any change to the air box and you will have to rejet.

WWW   IP Logged
Georgiadigger

Abandon
"Hope" for
Gods sake?

Rebel from the GA SC line
Reply #2 - 04/01/12 at 01:01:26

verslagen1 wrote on 04/01/12 at 00:01:08:
Any change to the air box and you will have to rejet.

Would this include exhaust changes? I added a Blue Collar exhaust, runs smooth, I didn't notice any changes but, in sound. Thanks for your reply. Y'all run a great forum. I ran a Relic Hunting forum for eight years, about drove me crazy.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 04/01/12 at 06:53:36

You will be hard pressed to improve air flow over the OEM filter/air box.

IMO I see no need to change jetting.....no matter what you do to the OEM air intake system. Even the exhaust can be opened up a little w/o changing jetting.
Of course this can vari at between bikes and elevations etc etc.
If it runs good, and a plug read shows it to be running good, don't rejet,.....IMO

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 04/01/12 at 08:00:19

Remember, not every "mod" yields the intended/desired results. Its good to be prepared to Un Do whatever you do..Start small, you can add holes, be scientific, check performance against the clock, not the seat of your pants.. Dont ask me how I learned that,,,okay?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HJH

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cheyenne, WY
Reply #5 - 04/02/12 at 13:08:23

I drilled several 3/8" holes in the airbox cover, just as I used to do with motocrossers, before I replaced the stock muffler with a Dyna and re-jetted my Savage, and I have a stock-sized K & N filter.  Drilling the airbox cover helped the two-strokes breathe better if I cleaned the air filter often enough, and since I live at altitude, more air, even with less oxygen, can't hurt.  That said, I could have just put a cone filter on it, but was ready to ride the bike and quit working on it at that point. Since I did it before re-jetting, I can't tell you whether you will have to re-jet, but I'd be surprised if it leaned the mixture enough to require it.  A check of the spark plug before and after would tell you.

Silver '02, Dyna, Raptor Petcock, VM carb at 6000 ft, Q2 needle, 12.5 pilot, 170 main, UFO, Verslavy, Pirelli 150/90, Plexistar 2 Windshield, K&N filter, Tourmaster II bag, Progressive Shocks
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #6 - 04/03/12 at 23:50:41

I installed a cone K&N onto my bike. Was a bit of a struggle to squeeze in but fits like a glove. I left the jets that I put in with the HD Dyna muffler, 55 w/ bleed holes pilot and 152.5 main. Adjusted the idle screw to compensate. Somewhere around 3 turns out from what I remember.

I seem to have noticed a s small improvement in power and response at the high end. Many also claim they have gained no advantage. At the very least I'm satisfied with the look, intake sound, and easy to inspect filter.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #7 - 04/04/12 at 00:54:20

Georgiadigger wrote on 03/31/12 at 23:52:47:
Can you drill holes in the right side of air box to help air flow or does this hinder flow from under the seat? Would I have to rejet the carb if I created more air flow? I just bought a 2007 S40, it backfires very little. I was thinking of blocking flow from under seat and building a air dam from the side. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Respectfully, Rocky

I had had my carb rejetted with the view to replace the standard airbox with a large (4-5") K&N filter scrounged from a scrapyard.
Unfortunately I could not source a piece of rubber tubing that was the correct diameter AND had the correct 90°angle I needed to go from the carb to the filter, which I wanted flat on the right side, under my thigh.
As was on my very first bike, a Ducati 450cc Scrambler (see red can below seat)

So, there I was with an overly rich mixture and no time to go back to the mechanic. What to do ?  Roll Eyes

I drilled a number of 8mm (1/4" or 5/16") holes on the side of the REAR half of the airbox.

Why only the rear half? Because the front half is there for looks only.

Air/Fuel Mixture improved, but not so much as not to foul plug.

Have a new airbox cover now, and have (finally) rejetted the bike, will let you know how she behaves.

Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:26:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Air flow........

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.