Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ryca decompression linkage issues (Read 237 times)
Savage 1987

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ryca decompression linkage issues
03/29/12 at 20:06:22

I have spent a few nights trying to rig up my Ryca decompression linkage.  The problem I am experiencing is that pushing the foot lever won't open the valve.  Before installing the linkage I tested the spring loaded lever that operates the valve.  I was able to feel the point at which the valve opens up.  With the linkage installed there is too much resistance to the point were the rod that Ryca provides begins to flex and even bend.  As far as I can tell there is nothing obstructing the movement.  I don't want to force it, because I am scared I will break something.

I keep thinking that maybe it has to do with angles.  So I tried threading all the fittings differently - all the way, half way, etc - and I still have had no luck.

Am I missing something obvious?

Anyone have any ideas for me to try?

Is it possible that the internal bits of the engine are currently positioned so that extra force is required to open the valve?

I am really all out of ideas...and its late...any help is appreciated!

Thanks.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Ryca decompression linkage issues
Reply #1 - 03/30/12 at 01:01:41

IIRC, just swinging the linkage doesnt actually open the valve,
it only actually affects the valve once the engine starts spinning. but I coud be wrong.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 03/30/12 at 04:22:49

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/30/12 at 01:01:41:
IIRC, just swinging the linkage doesnt actually open the valve,
it only actually affects the valve once the engine starts spinning. but I coud be wrong.

I don't think that's right.  The lever mechanically lifts the valve off the seat just a teense so the cylinder doesn't seal on the compression stroke.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 03/30/12 at 05:04:37

I agree it needs to, cuz if the piston is at the beginning of the compression stroke when ya poke the start button, it needs to have the compression released,, & the decomp timer only fires for a very short time, So,, I spose yer rite..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #4 - 03/30/12 at 05:14:04

Here are some pics of the linkages on our two bikes.  I did a movie of in it operation, but I can't figure out how to convert the highdef file into something that will play here.

VALVE CLOSED

VALVE OPEN

IP Logged
Savage 1987

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/30/12 at 06:39:55

Gyro,
when pushing the foot lever, does it take heavy pressure in order to operate?

Or is it just a little more than resting your foot on the lever?

I am trying to get an idea if the problem is with my Ryca linkage or with the springy thing on the cylinder head.

Also, do you have a link to the video?

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/30/12 at 07:24:24

There are others on here that I have seen, who get rid of the foot pedal all together and simply operate the lever by hand from the top of the cylinder head... that might be an option. It sounds like that was working for you before to installed the linkage and such.
You'd just want to be sure to do something with it to keep from burning your hands when the engine is hot... I think I saw someone on here made a small wooden handle for theirs? I might be mistaken about that...
Just a thought...

IP Logged
Savage 1987

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/30/12 at 08:49:29

Yeah, I remember seeing someone put together a nice little setup that was hand operated. There were some good pictures too, if I recall.

I searched for it but couldn't find it.

Does anyone remember who that was?

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #8 - 03/30/12 at 11:15:47

Savage 1987 wrote on 03/30/12 at 06:39:55:
Gyro,

I am trying to get an idea if the problem is with my Ryca linkage or with the springy thing on the cylinder head.

It's a little more pressure than just resting your foot on it, but it works fairly easily.  I can see how those setups with a 2" lever put on the valve lifter shaft would work without much effort.

Just got back. I'll have another crack at the video.

« Last Edit: 03/30/12 at 13:31:23 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 03/30/12 at 15:21:53

Disconnect the linkage & see what it takes to get it to do its thing by hand. Check linkage travel whil;e disconnected/

IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #10 - 03/30/12 at 18:34:09

I gave up on the Ryca-supplied decompression linkage and made my own hand operated decompression lever using part of the Ryca linkage.

Photos of my linkage are in this album:
https://picasaweb.google.com/gmbhsg/RycaDecompressionLinkage?authuser=0&authk...
Click on the thumbnail photos to see them full size.

I had to bypass the clutch engagement switch as my left hand is now occupied with the linkage, not the clutch. But it works fine, looks better, is less complicated, is lighter, etc., etc.

Here's an album of the completed bike:
https://picasaweb.google.com/gmbhsg/CompletedRyca?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCN...
Click on the thumbnail photos to see them full size.

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #11 - 03/30/12 at 20:09:16

Savage 1987 wrote on 03/30/12 at 06:39:55:
Gyro,

Here's a video of my ex-girlfriend moving the linkage with two fingers.

« Last Edit: 04/11/12 at 20:22:07 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
Savage 1987

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 03/31/12 at 06:29:41

Thank you everyone for the pictures, video, and suggestions.  

With the linkage removed, when I operate the valve with my hand, I can definitely get it to travel further into the open position than I can get it to go with the foot lever.

I am beginning to wonder if the valve is actually open enough when I use the Ryca linkage and foot lever...and I just don't realize it.  

What if I continue on with my project, assuming that I got the decompression linkage set up and operating correctly.  When I get to the point of starting the engine up, am I going to do damage if the valve isn't open?  What are the ramifications if I go this route?

I don't want to get hung up on this.  I want to keep making progress (morale booster) so I can eventually finish and ride!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #13 - 03/31/12 at 07:25:38

Savage 1987 wrote on 03/31/12 at 06:29:41:
Thank you everyone for the pictures, video, and suggestions.  

With the linkage removed, when I operate the valve with my hand, I can definitely get it to travel further into the open position than I can get it to go with the foot lever.

I am beginning to wonder if the valve is actually open enough when I use the Ryca linkage and foot lever...and I just don't realize it.  

What if I continue on with my project, assuming that I got the decompression linkage set up and operating correctly.  When I get to the point of starting the engine up, am I going to do damage if the valve isn't open?  What are the ramifications if I go this route?

I don't want to get hung up on this.  I want to keep making progress (morale booster) so I can eventually finish and ride!

All the decompression thing does is to lift the exhaust valve maybe 1/16" so the combustion chamber is not sealed for the first time the piston goes up on a compression stroke.  Without raising the exhaust valve, asking the starter motor and gears to force that huge piston up and through a compression stroke is doable, but it puts a big strain on the starter motor and gears.  Once the engine is spinning around, even if it isn't running yet, there is enough flywheel effect for the starter motor to keep things turning over even with the exhaust valve sealing properly.

So, the important thing is to just have the exhaust valve intentionally not sealing for the first time the piston heads north for a compression stroke.  Therefore, it's not critical when you let up on the decompression lever.  It's only a big deal to push down on the lever just before you hit the starter button, and hold the lever down for a second or so, or, if you want, until the engine starts.

The engine will run with the decompression lever pushed down while it keeps the exhaust valve from sealing.  This is similar to a motor that'll run (poorly) with a warped or burned exhaust valve. Don't do this on purpose.

One thing you could do to verify the decompression function is working is to see if the compression chamber is sealed with the decompression lever pushed, and with it not pushed.  There are lots of ways:
-- rotate the engine over with a wrench and compare lever up to lever down
-- put the bike in 5th gear, and have someone push you while you compare lever up to lever down
-- if the bike is on a stand (rear wheel free) put the bike in 5th gear and see if it is easier to turn the motor over with the decompression lever pushed
-- Take the spark plug lead off, push the lever down (raising the valve) and hit the starter button.  If the motor turns over easily, the exhaust valve is lifted.  If it does not, you have some troubleshooting to do.
-- if the lever is NOT lifting the valve, you will notice it's really hard to push the piston up through the compression stroke
-- if there is not much ambient noise, you'll hear air hissing past the lifted exhaust valve when the lever is held down while the piston goes up the compression stroke.

If, when you get your linkage all set up, you see the lever on the top of the cylinder head moving more than 20 degrees or so when you cycle the foot lever, you almost certainly are lifting the exhaust valve.  If you see it moving as much as my ex-girlfriend was able to make it move in the video, you're okay.

IP Logged
Savage 1987

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 03/31/12 at 07:58:17

Alright, I am going to keep moving on the project and see what happens when I get to the point of starting the engine up.  

Thanks again everyone.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:22:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ryca decompression linkage issues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.