Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Noob question about mini apes (Read 203 times)
joeyzaza

1970 ski doo one
lung,1996 savage one
lung

worcester Ma.
Noob question about mini apes
03/29/12 at 18:10:46

If I want to run 10" apes will I have to change any of the cables or anything? what is the largest ape bar I can get away with without having to lengthen anything??

1996 savage, Jardine slip on, k&n air filter, Lancer jet set, 155 main, 55 pilot, 2.5 turns mixture screw, Low profile chrome l.e.d turn signals, 12,000 miles and looks new!
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Re: Noob question about mini apes
Reply #1 - 03/29/12 at 19:18:42

I haven't had any luck with them reaching 10" apes...

IP Logged
joeyzaza

1970 ski doo one
lung,1996 savage one
lung

worcester Ma.
Reply #2 - 03/30/12 at 17:13:57

So going with apes is going to be quite a project.

1996 savage, Jardine slip on, k&n air filter, Lancer jet set, 155 main, 55 pilot, 2.5 turns mixture screw, Low profile chrome l.e.d turn signals, 12,000 miles and looks new!
  IP Logged
joeyzaza

1970 ski doo one
lung,1996 savage one
lung

worcester Ma.
Reply #3 - 03/31/12 at 06:20:14

I want to change the set up I have long arms and dont like the stock bars. If I go the drag bar route what is a good riser height? they sell 2"-6" risers. I have the 6" forward controls. I dont want to be bent in half but I want a more aggressive postition.

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #4 - 03/31/12 at 07:28:00

Ok, so I tried installing some Voodoo Vintage Straight Shot 10" mini apes, came up about 3-4 inches short on stock cables... so you're gonna have to rewire if you go higher than 6" mini apes most likely.. and yes I even tried throwing all the cables behind the fork tree to eat up the slack.. I myself want arms straight out, so I'm going with some 6" minis for now untill I get my nuts together to rewire for my 10"ers... I had the 2005 pull back riser drag bars, I don't know about the cable length of any earlier models that had buckhorn bars and what not...

I'd pull the bars apart and see how far you can stretch everything, putting all the cables behind the fork tree, then make your decision. It didn't take me 4 hours like everyone says, I took them apart for the first time in about 30 minutes, and woulda had the installation complete within an hour if my cable had enough length  Angry

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 03/31/12 at 07:39:29

Pre '05 LS650's have buckhorn bars. The clutch cable and brake line are 4" longer. The throttle cable is different, but the wiring should re-rout OK. I have 8" rise ' Frisco bars on mine with the older short risers, and have had no trouble with the wires and cables reaching. And the bars can be moved forward and back as you need.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #6 - 03/31/12 at 07:58:01

Hey Arteacher, what kind of threadlocker did you use? Seems like my '05 had some white factory thread locker..

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #7 - 03/31/12 at 10:38:00

I don't think that white stuff is thread locker. I think it's the poor man's never-sieze, which is milk of magnesia. If it was thread locker they wouldn't have had to use so much. Huh
On mine there were holes drilled in the ends of the bolts for safety cotter pins.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 03/31/12 at 10:46:40

I thot that stuff was put on by line workers to mark the bolt as tight..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #9 - 03/31/12 at 11:01:19

arteacher wrote on 03/31/12 at 07:39:29:
Pre '05 LS650's have buckhorn bars. The clutch cable and brake line are 4" longer. The throttle cable is different, but the wiring should re-rout OK. I have 8" rise ' Frisco bars on mine with the older short risers, and have had no trouble with the wires and cables reaching. And the bars can be moved forward and back as you need.

This was not the case when I swapped bars...
Mine is an 05 with the drag bars & pull back risers, I got a used throttle cable from another member that was from an older bike with the buckhorn bars. The connection was different @ the grip, and it had a different angle at that end, but when I layed it side by side with my stock cable they were the EXACT same length  Embarrassed

Can't comment on the clutch though, the one I picked up was NOT a stock cable  Cheesy

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #10 - 03/31/12 at 11:03:53

JoG- the stuff that I'm thinking he's talking about is applied liberally to the entire stud, right up to where it goes in the riser itself. It's used to make sure the spacer does not rust to the stud.

IP Logged
joeyzaza

1970 ski doo one
lung,1996 savage one
lung

worcester Ma.
Reply #11 - 03/31/12 at 19:16:14

What company makes the 8" mini apes? That sounds like a good start. I hate my stock 1996 bars. As I said I have long arms and they sit me in a laid back kinda goofy position. I love the fprward controls but wanna stretch my arms now.  I just ordered some killer front and rear chrome foot pegs and want to change the bar set up to give it a meaner look. I cant decide if I should do 4" chrome risers and drag bars. or if I should do the ape route??? I think I want to do the apes. WHATS THE 8" APE WEBSITE
Ill order them right off and try that out...

The other one is HAS ANYONE TRIED THE HARDTAIL STRUTS?????? DZ-CUSTOMS???? it lowers the bike 3" and makes it a hardtail. I love the look.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #12 - 03/31/12 at 19:30:16

What company makes the 8" mini apes?
Builtwell.

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #13 - 03/31/12 at 20:23:43

joeyzaza wrote on 03/31/12 at 19:16:14:
What company makes the 8" mini apes?

Voodoo Vintage makes the best apes...

http://www.voodoovintage.com/products.html

Builtwell makes some slick ones as well though..

http://www.biltwellinc.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=1

IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 03/31/12 at 20:38:59

Joey, I'm 6'1" and I have Routy's FC's as well. I went with a pair of Santee Wide  XLX style drag bars with 1.5" risers. The fit is perfect for our size; the reach, the look and with the Fc's it feels like a Caddy. I found a pair of mint Suzuki C90 risers for $25, including shipping(I got lucky). The Santee's have a 5" rise and the stock S40 cables just make it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 02:27:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Noob question about mini apes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.