Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Mr. Exhaust Wrap Yes or No?! (Read 305 times)
mataux
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mr. Exhaust Wrap Yes or No?!
03/29/12 at 06:43:03

Exhaust Wrap Yes or No.
Shall I? or shall i not?
Why or why not.  Is exhaust wrap cause damage to the engine?

IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Mr. Exhaust Wrap Yes or No?!
Reply #1 - 03/29/12 at 07:01:26

It is mostly a matter of looks, it will keep you from burning your hands, feet, does hold temp longer on cool down which will keep exhaust valve from warpage (Although I have never heard of this happening unless NO exhaust pipe was present).. But it won't hurt anything, will trap moisture in wrap and cause surface rust on pipe wrapped...

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #2 - 03/29/12 at 08:32:31

it will trap moisture... but only while the bike isn't running.

That exhaust gets hot enough to evaporate moisture out of the wrap pretty quick. wrap will accelerate rust if it gets wet while the bike is cool.

In some headers, wrap keeps the pipe hotter, allowing gasses to move faster giving a boost in performance. Our header doesn't get any performance benefit from being wrapped; it is purely aesthetic aside from preventing burns (though burns will still happen if something touches it for a longer time, the wrap just slows the rate at which heat is transferred to whatever touches it).

I've got mine wrapped so that I could ditch the heat shield and to cover up some blemished on the pipe that were already there. It also prevents me from burning my knuckles when working on the engine hot, BUT i still burn a bit of rubber from my boots off on it if i rest my boot there (because I removed the heat shield by the right foot peg).

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 03/29/12 at 11:44:20

I tried the wrap but when it gets wet the steam doesn't smell that great.  I had the header ceramic coated instead and removed the heat shield.  If the high temp black paint wears off of my MAC muffler to any great extent, I may do the same to it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #4 - 03/29/12 at 13:25:40

Savage_Rob wrote on 03/29/12 at 11:44:20:
I tried the wrap but when it gets wet the steam doesn't smell that great.  I had the header ceramic coated instead and removed the heat shield.  If the high temp black paint wears off of my MAC muffler to any great extent, I may do the same to it.

How expensive is it for ceramic coating and how does that hold up to use/abuse?

--
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 03/29/12 at 17:50:34

I had the ceramic done in 2007 by a guy I found in Irving, TX.  He was retired and had converted his garage to a workshop with large ovens (kilns?) where all he did was ceramic coat stuff as a part-time business; mostly custom exhausts but he did engine blocks and such too. I think he's since retired fully and doesn't do it anymore as his web site is no longer functional and he was probably in his early 70's when I had this done.  It ran me around $50 at that time but it was almost 5 years ago.  The stuff is extremely tough.  The guy took a couple of pieces he'd coated previously and banged them together pretty hard; there wasn't a scratch or chip at all.  It definitely cuts down on the radiant heat too.  Below is a link to that thread.  When I was searching for it, I found other, more recent posts where they said it was about $100.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1178810607/

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
highlander10
YaBB Newbies

Keep Walking

Groningen, Netherlands
Reply #6 - 03/31/12 at 06:53:50

Hey savages,
since we discuss about exhaust wrap, do you know how many meters or inches i need so as to wrap the exhaust? Wink

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #7 - 03/31/12 at 07:31:11

If you have a nice shiny header pipe and want to keep it that way, don't wrap it, because it will take alot of cleaning to restore the chrome if you take the wrap off. Otherwise, wrap it with DEI titanium..

It won't cause damage to the engine.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 04/01/12 at 20:46:29

Built2Last wrote on 03/31/12 at 07:31:11:
If you have a nice shiny header pipe and want to keep it that way, don't wrap it, because it will take alot of cleaning to restore the chrome if you take the wrap off. Otherwise, wrap it with DEI titanium..

It won't cause damage to the engine.

Even that may not be enough.  My header was "blued" to a honey color before I added the wrap.  When I removed it weeks later it was blued very badly.  The is was one reason I began looking into ceramic coatings.

Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #9 - 04/03/12 at 05:10:05

spacepirates wrote on 03/29/12 at 08:32:31:
it will trap moisture... but only while the bike isn't running.

Does the bike spend more time running or not running?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #10 - 04/03/12 at 05:46:15

Gyrobob wrote on 04/03/12 at 05:10:05:

is the bike exposed to more moisture running or not running?

--
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #11 - 04/03/12 at 09:56:07

spacepirates wrote on 04/03/12 at 05:46:15:
Gyrobob wrote on 04/03/12 at 05:10:05:

is the bike exposed to more moisture running or not running?

I asked you first.

Exposure to moisture while running is mostly irrelevant, anyway, since it is exposed to a thousand times more moisture (duration) while parked.

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #12 - 04/03/12 at 10:27:05

Gyrobob wrote on 04/03/12 at 09:56:07:
I asked you first.

Exposure to moisture while running is mostly irrelevant, anyway, since it is exposed to a thousand times more moisture (duration) while parked.

bah, i disagree, but I don't think arguing my point will get me anywhere.

I am lucky enough to park in a heated garage, so my bike isn't exposed to almost any moisture when compared to riding in all weather conditions (including plenty of rainy days here in Pittsburgh). Last year I had my bike die on me because I tried to ride through a puddle that hid its true depth to me (hint: it ended up being significantly deeper than the opening of my exhaust). Even sitting in a garage with light humidity for a year wouldn't added up to that amount of moisture, not that turning the savage into a submarine is a typical use case.

besides, unless water is actively getting on your bike when it is stored (at least put a cover on it, come on!) it wouldn't be much different with or without wrap.

if you don't like the look of it, fine, so be it. i can take that as an acceptable answer. if you argue that our bikes' triple-walled header is going to rust out orders of magnitude faster, i just don't buy it. faster, sure, but not that fast.

--
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #13 - 04/03/12 at 10:59:18

spacepirates wrote on 04/03/12 at 10:27:05:
Gyrobob wrote on 04/03/12 at 09:56:07:
I asked you first.

bah, i disagree, but I don't think arguing my point will get me anywhere.

I am lucky enough to park in a heated garage, so my bike isn't exposed to almost any moisture when compared to riding in all weather conditions (including plenty of rainy days here in Pittsburgh). Last year I had my bike die on me because I tried to ride through a puddle that hid its true depth to me (hint: it ended up being significantly deeper than the opening of my exhaust). Even sitting in a garage with light humidity for a year wouldn't added up to that amount of moisture, not that turning the savage into a submarine is a typical use case.

besides, unless water is actively getting on your bike when it is stored (at least put a cover on it, come on!) it wouldn't be much different with or without wrap.

if you don't like the look of it, fine, so be it. i can take that as an acceptable answer. if you argue that our bikes' triple-walled header is going to rust out orders of magnitude faster, i just don't buy it. faster, sure, but not that fast.

The fact you don't buy it just means you don't understand.

Do a little experiment.  Go get a piece of steel tubing and wrap maybe 6" of it in cloth, or, even better, if you have some exhaust wrap to spare, use that.  Put it on shelf near where you keep your bike, and leave it alone for a few months.  After that, come back and see which is corroded more, the unwrapped part or the wrapped part.

On a bike with a header sweater, riding around in the rain will have almost no effect at all because the water is steamed off immediately.  It's the long term effect of a very tiny bit of corrosion each day (temperature ups and downs) caused by moisture being trapped, condensed, and evaporated by the exhaust wrap that discolors and even corrodes a wrapped exhaust pipe.

IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 04/03/12 at 13:53:09

Darn, worse than the oil wars..... Can I soak the wrap in oil first? What kind? Grin

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:22:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mr. Exhaust Wrap Yes or No?!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.