Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Mr. Exhaust Wrap Yes or No?! (Read 305 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Mr. Exhaust Wrap Yes or No?!
Reply #15 - 04/03/12 at 18:36:54

Retread wrote on 04/03/12 at 13:53:09:
Darn, worse than the oil wars..... Can I soak the wrap in oil first? What kind? Grin

What kind of oil or what kind of wrap?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Re: Mr. Exhaust Wrap Yes or No?!
Reply #16 - 04/04/12 at 00:38:38

My own two cents' worth.

The "Header wrap" issue is widely discussed in Classic car Forums, especially among those who race classic cars.

It has been generally acknowledged that header wrap will cause the headers to retain much more heat than was originally planned by the engine designers; the excess heat will then either disperse as hotter exhaus gases (hence, the exhaust system has to be redesigned) or remain within the head and, especially among 4 - 8 cylinder cars, cause head warp and exhaust valve wear and seizure.

Of course, the Savage engine is by no means to be considered a race-tuned engine, nor do we rider her in "fast lap" style... so, why worry ?

The point is that header wrap is not good for a healthy head, especially if we consider the engine is air-cooled.

So, unless somebody rides up Smoky Mountain Pass in the deep of winter, I personally see no point in wrapping the exhaust.

For those unsure, check classic bikes (especially the Brits and the Italians) you will see that the exhaust pipe clamp / flange is actually finned, to help disperse heat.

B U T

If you MUST wrap it, read this advice I found in a HotRod website:

If you choose to wrap the header you need to prep it first. You need to paint it with HIGH degree resistent paint. After that you can wrap.

If yoursis a daily driven water will not stay trapped as it will evaporate.

Premature header welding failures are known to happen on CHROMED cheap headers replica.

Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:32:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mr. Exhaust Wrap Yes or No?!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.