Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
hehehe this is gonna be good (Read 1011 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: hehehe this is gonna be good
Reply #15 - 04/06/12 at 11:43:00

You can always address clutch slippage,, first, build the bike & run it. No sense in loading a gun & pointing it at your engine unless you have to.
Id stay stock in the clutch, completely, & see if itll hold the power.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #16 - 04/07/12 at 14:53:13

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/06/12 at 09:37:42:
If youre gonna use stiffer clutch springs, you mite find yourself in a bind.. those clutch throwout levers are a weak point. I put washers under my springs & mine broke in about 5,000 miles., They break on others who havent done anything,, You really dont want that hunk flying around in there, its big & could do a lot of damage. I got very lucky,

I put Barnett springs in mine and have had no trouble at all.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #17 - 04/09/12 at 04:37:57

& others with stock springs have.

No need to tempt it, IMO, Unless I had slippage, Id leave it stock in the clutch.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
baker87

ridin since 06

venus tx
Reply #18 - 04/09/12 at 13:33:36

u say ur going roller, how are u looking to convert the rocker arms to roller set up? k9500winmag wrote on 04/06/12 at 08:48:01:
Ok, so the head has been shaved by only 0.010, essentially enough to resurface it, polished the valves and seats, mild port/polish on the exhaust side, and a groove job. Measured and programed for new lifters. Rollers instead of pushrods, lifters from 400 series stainless with titanium rollers. If I can sneak the parts through trying to get everything that moves in the head titanium nitride coated. Just trying to setup for ordering a big bore kit and programming a stroker crank one of these days. Mastercam is such a wonderful thing to have hehehehe. At one point im going to have to get a bigger carb huh? Custom cut black onyx gaskets are on the way! Has anyone heard of modifieing an ignition coil from another bike to fire this thing? Im worried that the stock ignition is not up to the task and a hotter plug and coil will really wake this motor up when im done. Grin

ride hard/live hard
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 04/09/12 at 20:21:46

Justin,

I think Bill needs to come over and offer these boys his sage performance advice while they whittle on 400 stainless and plug in electronics from other bikes and put in bigger clutch springs to fix problems they don't even really have yet from all the extra horses they are going to get from the whittled stainless and plugged in electronics.

Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 04/10/12 at 01:01:32

Theres gotta be a point where it stops being a good idea to pour $$ & time in this engine. How many dollars & how many hours for that last tenth of a pony? The power/performance increases are in proper jetting, exhaust opened up,intake unrestricted, cam replaced & weight trimmed off,,those are quick easy ones, porting & polishing,,, pretty slow & tedious, returns smaller, rebuilding the valve train outta titanium? I dont think the rpm is high enough to bother,, cost is extraterrestrial,return? Nonexistent,, or negligible to the point of being technically nonexistent. Certainly not worth the cost,.
Reinvent the wheel if that makes ya happy, but you could accomplish something that needs done & have $$$ left in your pocket,

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 04/10/12 at 04:21:48

All of this is true, but it sounds to me like this guy just wants to play with his new baby... give her a real super massage. I just hope he doesn't build her into a hand grenade. Even if you can double the power; hell but on a Turbo! (I swear I think I saw that on a Savage somewhere) you'll have to either re-engineer the entire bike, or realize that all that fast living is bound to put a dent in the bike's longevity.
Might just be easier to throw a GSXR plant into the frame and be done with it!
BUt what the Hell, Have fun!! I know I'll be watching...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 04/10/12 at 05:27:04

Yea, I used to pour hour on top of hour into control line airplanes, $$$ I didnt have,, & crash the blasted things. I know all about spending precious resources to achieve things that wont pay out, took me a Long time to realize that isnt how people get ahead. &, Even after I did figure that out, I found myself STILL spending my time doing things in hopes of saving $$$ & accomplishing the goal when, after all was said & done, I coulda bought what I needed instead of building it or hired the job done & come out ahead. Im a lot better about it now, & Ive gone thru the learning curves so I can do some things now I couldnt do 3 years ago, like wire an electrical outlet. Like Built to Last & his wrinkled tank,, sure, he could fix it himself, but the time & $$$ he would spend on materials & learning how, he could spend a lot less $$ & a lot less time working with a pro & learn some things & get it fixed a lot quicker & save a ton of $$ & frustration. That said, I still congratulate the determined when they set out to do something & win.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #23 - 04/10/12 at 08:18:25

So if I made a heavy duty cluch rocker thing (Mine's allready broke once) then its ok to bring out the "BIG" springs.   Next time the clutch cover is off I'll be looking at it.

That thing with the rocker arms sounds interesting , but we are picking up two valves at a time ... I need to see a picture .... The idea of lowering friction is inchanting !
Do we really need both valves to open ?   I mean it would still run with only one set.  
Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 04/10/12 at 08:41:18

The design in a bit flaky. The radius on the inside cut is where mine broke.. Is that where others gave up?
If It was for me to do over & I was just determined to jack up the clutch springs, I would have it welded up in that radius, a backbone welded on the other side, heat treated to relieve stress & machined on the radius,,

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 04/10/12 at 08:43:54

If you want to double the hp on a Savage, you can do it cheapest with nitrous injection.  

However ..... you will quickly find the first item of the failure chain, then you will fix that then go find the next item on the fails list.  Clutch, gearing, spark plug electrode, piston top, you can add whatever you want to the nitrous fails list, they are all out there.

People "pop talkin" about putting in electronics from other bikes and whittling new cam actuation systems out of soft 400 stainless is just that, pop talkin.   But then again, we haven't seen him actually do anything yet except take a bike apart -- he may surprise all of us and be an expert level machinist.

That case hardened, speciality steel thin spidery rocker system came from a need to keep weight down, strength high and bridge the gap from the center of the big bore all the way over to the dual valves.

Best of luck making your own replacement out of 400 stainless that will fit inside the functional envelope.

As far as decking his head, his set-up was kinda off for those sorts of cuts, wasn't it?   Plus the carbon and gasket residue was still evident on the surface he claims to have decked.

==============================

The eccentric that drives the clutch rod is a sintered powdered metal part.   We have seen what ? 6-10 ? of them break over the years, generally when the clutch rod is at the edge of the eccentric's travel zone (eccentric all cocked up and pushing at the sides of the rod).

Keep your clutch rod replaced so as to stay in the sweet spot (clutch lever to case marks) and you will likely have no issues out of it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #26 - 04/10/12 at 10:13:49

If you want to double the HP of a Savage,.. you bought the wrong bike...

There's 3 to 5 little ponies in there just beggin' to get out, but after that, you're setting the timer ...

The big single performance engines are in high-end dirt and motard bikes, and their maintenance schedules are measured in hours...  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 04/10/12 at 10:20:27

motard

That has been a common word for years, but I cant see it or hear it w/o "retarded motorcycling" running thru my head..

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #28 - 04/10/12 at 10:59:12

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/10/12 at 10:20:27:
motard

That has been a common word for years, but I cant see it or hear it w/o "retarded motorcycling" running thru my head..

JOG's only kidding, Boule'tard .. Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 04/10/12 at 11:05:55

Oh,, yea,, Uhhh,, present company excepted,, of course!

dang,,

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:21:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › hehehe this is gonna be good

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.