Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Half shell helmet vs full face (Read 521 times)
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Re: Half shell helmet vs full face
Reply #30 - 04/09/12 at 12:19:11

Mine is a 3/4 with full face shield to protect eyes and face from gravel, bugs, etc.

During my 40 year hiatus from riding, I spent 5,000 hours behind a 3/4 helmet in airplanes.

I tried a FF, but I don't like the restricted vision that results.  It's all about personal preference, but I'd rather have my full vision - up, down, and to both sides to be able to avoid an accident.  I agree that if the worse happens, FF provides the most protection.

But I perfer to be able to see all around me, in hopes of seeing the hazard coming and avoiding the wreck in the first place.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #31 - 04/09/12 at 12:44:47

I dropped $550 on a Shoei (sp) FF, wore it home from the shop, and haven't worn it since.
It was a hot day and my glasses were fogging up, even with the shield opened up a bit. Huh

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 04/09/12 at 13:35:40

yeah, as much as high end helmets cost, (shoei's and arai's) it's extremely frustrating when they don't work right, I can't take that kinda risk with that much money.  Nolan is about the highest I can go if I find one on sale, but they don't usually fit my head right, they are more round than my head.  I just ordered a Bell Revolver EVO in yellow from a local yamaha place, i tried a bunch on and the large was just a bit lose, and the medium I tried on with EVO was really pretty good.  the interior sun shade comes down completely over your face almost so that's awesome and it's a modular which I want so hopefully this is my last helmet for awhile.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #33 - 04/09/12 at 14:34:23

Art, I'm only 65 miles west of you and I have never had my glasses fog up even on the hottest days. Aren't there air vents on your helmet that can be opened? Was that day 90 degrees with 90% humidity?  Undecided

Is it a flip up? or non flip up? Mine is a flip up and you can pop it open any time and get a face full of air.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #34 - 04/09/12 at 14:34:48

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 04/09/12 at 12:19:11:
Mine is a 3/4 with full face shield to protect eyes and face from gravel, bugs, etc.

During my 40 year hiatus from riding, I spent 5,000 hours behind a 3/4 helmet in airplanes.

I tried a FF, but I don't like the restricted vision that results.  It's all about personal preference, but I'd rather have my full vision - up, down, and to both sides to be able to avoid an accident.  I agree that if the worse happens, FF provides the most protection.

But I perfer to be able to see all around me, in hopes of seeing the hazard coming and avoiding the wreck in the first place.

I agree with Jerry for once,I believe seeing is of the most importance.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #35 - 04/09/12 at 14:50:36

Bill -

Mark this day on your calendar in celebration of our agreement on something !!

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #36 - 04/09/12 at 15:10:24

"I tried a FF, but I don't like the restricted vision that results."

??? what, are your eyes on the side of your head like a whale?  Shocked

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 04/09/12 at 15:15:20

the new Nolan N104 is praised for it's big eyeport, the N43 is great for it's eyeport, so there are full face kind of helmets out there with big eyeports

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #38 - 04/09/12 at 15:19:19

Hey, we old fighter jocks like to keep our heads on a swivel and look out all directions.  

We were trained to some degree in how the human eye works.  Believe it or not, you perceive the motion of a "target" with your peripheral vision more than looking straight ahead.  Tunnel vision gets you killed when you don't see the bogey who is approaching from your rear quarter or quartering into you from ahead.

I'm almost afraid to say it for fear of jinxing myself, but pilots only have 10% the chance of being involved in a serious auto accident as does the general population because we are so cognizant of our spatial awareness all around us - left, right, up and down.  At least that holds true for those of us who are still alive.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #39 - 04/09/12 at 19:20:58

I guess in a few years we will see some huge advances in RC Car drivers abilities,, after some of these pushbutton generation kids get out of the military after flying drones around & killing innocent people,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 04/09/12 at 19:27:03

I aprroach the topic as such: do I prefer my Full - Face or Half of it...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #41 - 04/09/12 at 19:54:02

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 04/09/12 at 15:19:19:
Hey, we old fighter jocks like to keep our heads on a swivel and look out all directions.  

Starlifter wrote on 04/09/12 at 15:10:24:
"I tried a FF, but I don't like the restricted vision that results."

??? what, are your eyes on the side of your head like a whale?  Shocked

Hey, I know what the problem is... she's got a turbo swivel head... and a too loose helmet.

hmmm... fast and loose... my kind o girl.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #42 - 04/10/12 at 08:06:58

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 04/09/12 at 15:19:19:

We were trained to some degree in how the human eye works.  Believe it or not, you perceive the motion of a "target" with your peripheral vision more than looking straight ahead.  Tunnel vision gets you killed when you don't see the bogey who is approaching from your rear quarter or quartering into you from ahead.

I'm almost afraid to say it for fear of jinxing myself, but pilots only have 10% the chance of being involved in a serious auto accident as does the general population because we are so cognizant of our spatial awareness all around us - left, right, up and down.  At least that holds true for those of us who are still alive.

Agree with all that, Jerry.  Head on a swivel is a very important function, whether you are flying F-4s (did), gyrocopters (do now), or motorcycles (do now).

Let me plug the wheat-free thing here in connection with the head on a swivel.  
-- Once I got into my 50s, the swiveling became more and more a problem,... just a general stiffness, a reduced mobility, and actual pain if I tried to swivel too far.
-- Turning 64 last year, I was reduced to turning my whole upper body to check for traffic, or to back up a car, etc.  
-- In Oct, I stopped eating all grains, including wheat.  Within a few weeks I had neck-twisting capability that equalled what I had had two decades ago.  A wonderful thing.  Much safer now,.. and no pain anymore.  All my joints now feel all loose and rubbery like they did a long time ago.

Pertaining to helmets, my first several helmets were soup-bowl style or "full" style, meaning no face protection.  I started wearing helmets in 1960, though.  Full face helmets were not available.  A few years after they first came out, I bought my first full face helmet, a Bell something or other.  I've worn only full-face helmets ever since.

Curiously, the two times I have had my life saved by a helmet, a full face helmet might not have made that much diff.
-- At age 14, I high-sided a Lambretta motor scooter in the hills and ended up tumbling down the hill, hitting my head on a tree trunk.  It caved in the top of the helmet.
-- At age 22, I went off an off ramp at 60+ mph on a Honda CB350, and as I was torpedoing along the top of the ice plant that lined the freeways in Calif in 1969, my helmeted head went through a 2" diam iron sprinkler pipe, again caving in the top of the helmet.

The fact that I hit the top of the helmets on those obstacles was dumb luck.  It could quite easily have been my face, so I am quite sold on full face helmets.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #43 - 04/10/12 at 15:31:28

This subject was also treated over at Rubber Side Down ("helmet question") recently, but I wanna repeat something I said there to arteacher here. Specifically, try removing the breath guard. I did that with my FF and the glasses-fogging issue all but disappeared.

In my case, at least, the breath guard seemed to direct exhaled breath directly onto my glasses. Go figure. It may do something desirable, but I don't know what. Removing it also enables one to rub nose or moustache should a tickle arise (that's normally within seconds of strapping on the helmet). In any case, art, that Shoei belongs on your head, not a shelf...

Putting one's glasses on after donning the FF is a little fiddly, but it gets easier with practice and it's well worh the enormous added protection a FF helmet provides.

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #44 - 04/10/12 at 16:44:13

+1 Amen to that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 11:21:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › Half shell helmet vs full face

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.