SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Cutting the Frame
03/25/12 at 14:05:23

Putting in the battery box and faux oil tank has me making some changes to the rest of the bike. The first is to chop off the frame rails from where the stock seat and upper fender would've mounted to.

Still needs cleaned up a little bit, but the rails are cut down quite a bit.

Leftovers

With some unfortunate carnage to the drive belt... Anyone think this will cause an issue with the belt? It didn't melt the whole way through:

I'm not sure if I'm going to mount the solo seat off the gas tank where it is sitting now... or if I want to get a piece of metal welded in right behind that to mount it on there. The front sits a little high, but the back looks 10x nicer being "lower"

Before cutting:

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Cutting the Frame
Reply #1 - 03/25/12 at 15:33:51

Since the main strength of the belt is in the cords... no problem.

WWW   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #2 - 03/25/12 at 15:37:15

Great news, thanks Vers... Was hoping that this wouldn't cost me a new belt too. Smiley

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #3 - 03/26/12 at 13:14:36

Looks good so far.  I welded a peice of flat bar with a couple holes drilled in across the old fender horns after I cut them off.  A solid piece provides some rigidity to the whole seat mount set up, and you can set the height wherver you like.  Mine is pretty much riding the frame all the way.

Side:

The flat bar welded on from the back:

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 03/26/12 at 15:57:33

SimonTuffGuy wrote on 03/25/12 at 15:37:15:
Great news, thanks Vers... Was hoping that this wouldn't cost me a new belt too. Smiley

Tell me you didn't do that w/ a cutting torch ! Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #5 - 03/26/12 at 16:13:28

Haha... I wouldn't trust myself with a torch. Used a cutoff wheel. Smiley

Thanks for the pictures Smoke. Any pictures with the seat off?

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 03/26/12 at 16:59:32

I have a torch, & I can Gay Rawn Teee you,, I woulda used the cutoff grinder on that little trick.. No way is my hand steady enough or my cuts clean enough to go at that with a torch. Bummer ya boogered the belt a bit, but I dont think its hurt,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #7 - 03/26/12 at 17:44:16

After the mishap on the belt, I put something over it incase it happened again... Covered the tank up too so that I wasn't spraying anything on that.

Need to get another cutoff disc to finish the job with. Should look nice and clean when it's all done though. Smiley

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 03/26/12 at 19:28:19

When I was installin the Supertrapp I let sparks from a grinder get close to the battery vent.. Do NOT do that.. my bat tree desploded & I spent the next 3 hours with baking soda & water cleaning the bike up to keep it from rusting things from the bat tree acid splashed around..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 03/26/12 at 19:44:26

Ok, I was going to suggest a cutoff wheel. Seems like it would be hard to do that w/ a cutoff wheel. I never bear down that hard on them.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #10 - 03/28/12 at 05:39:10

Justin - No battery installed in this at the moment... The battery in it's a dry cell anyways, so no worry about vent tubes. Sounds scary though!

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
skeebo

Ride It Like U Stole
It........

Fresno, Cali
Reply #11 - 03/28/12 at 13:10:40

Wow dude you've been busy..the seat looks way better. I'm not that far along with my seat. The frame horns were already cut when I got the bike, I've added some gussets that's it.

post_5.jpg

95'......Its Kinda Like Bobber Rode A Rat Bike To A Cafe Race.....Thing
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #12 - 04/08/12 at 17:07:51

Well... Put a new cutoff wheel on and went to town today after Easter lunch with my parents. Also cleaned up the area where the belt guard was on, the airbox mounts on the side of the frame, and I ground down the little "lip" area where the gas tank and seat mount. With the lip in place, it made the top brackets of my battery box set up just a bit too high. I think with taking them off, it'll work out a lot better. Although I didn't try it today, we'll see when I get back up there later this week.

On the battery box, I am going to cut a hole in the bottom of it near the front of the box so that I can run the cables coming off the bottom of the bike in that way. It'll be easier than having to run them back the frame, up the back of the box and in over the top.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #13 - 04/14/12 at 18:34:01

And today... She fired up and ran for the first time in..... way too long!

Got the battery box/electronics can mounted. I had cut a new hole in the bottom so that I could run all the wires from the bottom of the bike up in the can without having to go from the back, etc. I did NOT run the power cable through there, but may go back and do that. Might make it easier to mount all of that.

Connected everything, put in some fresh gas, and she started. A couple things need attention yet; front brake needs fluid and bled, it seems like maybe my carb isn't pulling gas by vacuum. I ran it on prime and ran around the block with it.

Still need to sort out brake light, turn signals, etc... But it's almost ready to ride. Smiley

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #14 - 04/14/12 at 18:43:11

Changed up the seat mount a little bit too. Was using a generic one that looked something like this:

I was only using the top part, since it bolted up to the gas tank area without any changes. I flattened out the mount, cut off the sides, and then drilled new holes. It drops the front of the seat by a 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch, which is a nice change. Smiley

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:25:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cutting the Frame

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.