Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Front Brake Lever Not Activating Brake Light? (Read 132 times)
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Front Brake Lever Not Activating Brake Light?
03/25/12 at 13:36:15

My rear brake lever activates the break light on my tail light, but my front brake lever isn't doing squat. Sometimes if I rapidly squeeze and release the front brake, the brake light does flicker and shows some signs of life.

Anyone got any ideas? Think connections in the lever are corroded, or something in the wiring? I'd be more comfortable with a target to shoot at, instead of spraying and praying!  Cool

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Front Brake Lever Not Activating Brake Light?
Reply #1 - 03/25/12 at 13:44:53

Try "spraying " the connectors and contacts...  with contact cleaner or WD-40..

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 03/25/12 at 13:50:15

remove and replace the connectors on the switch and the controls harness under the tank.

if you got an ohm meter, test the switch.

WWW   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #3 - 03/26/12 at 03:10:17

Be very very careful when you take the switch apart at the lever, my 87 has a tiny little part in there that will jump out and run away.  It is the contact that slides back and forth with the lever.  There are some tiny wires in there that can break as well.  It takes tiny amounts of solder to get them connect correctly and not all together in one blob.  Did I mention those parts are tiny, it does not help that my fingers are big.  There is a thread about this somewhere.  I know there are other connectors as well, but that was where my problem was. hth

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #4 - 03/26/12 at 05:00:43

I've got a friend that rides (not a Savage), but he said "I never use the front brake WITHOUT the rear", and his plans are to remove as much excess wiring as possible.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/26/12 at 08:03:59

SimonTuffGuy wrote on 03/26/12 at 05:00:43:
I've got a friend that rides (not a Savage), but he said "I never use the front brake WITHOUT the rear", and his plans are to remove as much excess wiring as possible.

i would agree with that statement, and much of my ride time is controlled from the engine, not the brake (unless necessary). i use my prius for my long commutes everyday, so i am in the bad habit of avoiding my brakes to begin with. i would rather there not be any issues with inspection or safety though!

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #6 - 03/26/12 at 10:38:09

I had to replace the little switch in my hand brake. It had worn down over time and no longer rocked far enough to make contact. On the plus side, it was an inexpensive part and an easy fix as long as you pay attention to where everything is as you open it up.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 03/26/12 at 14:04:32

SimonTuffGuy wrote on 03/26/12 at 05:00:43:

Personally, I try to add in rear brake as a practice and to maintain the habit and the feel for how much to give it.  However, in most situations and especially normal dry pavement I would reverse that statement to say "I never use the rear brake WITHOUT the front" since front brake is more important.  It's a personal thing with me because whenever I've gone down it was from locking the rear brake.  These were emergency braking situations that necessitate pulling the seat cover out from between your cheeks afterward.  I now make a point of practicing emergency braking pretty regularly.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Ben aka ubergeek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Columbus, OH
Reply #8 - 03/26/12 at 15:59:35

I had this same problem on my '87.  I ordered the contact Part# 57465-18601.  $3.40 plus shipping from motosport.com.

Take out the two screws that hold the board in.  On the board will be two metal contacts spaced apart.  If they are corroded, just take some sandpaper and lightly remove the corrosion.  If that doesn't work then use a razor blade.  Note the direction of the metal contacts.  The little contact that fits up inside will be rounded on two ends with a spring.  Make sure that it will slide with the rounded edges going over the board contacts.  Do not force the contact back into the brake handle.  That being said, it will kinda just pop up in there when you've aligned it properly and should not fall out too easily.  Make sure not to smash the two wires with the cover.  There is a little notch for the wires to run through.

I did this in about 5 minutes.  No sweat.  Also if your rear brake doesn't light up until you have the pedal pressed all the way, you can either try and adjust the nuts on the cable mounting bracket or buy a new spring.  My spring was about 3" long.  The new one was only 1.5".

After you get the new contact (or clean the old ones), try spraying some silicone over the bottom of the switch.  This should prevent corrosion in the future.

87 Savage, Dyna Muffler
  IP Logged
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/27/12 at 08:47:59

Thanks Ben! Good write up!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 19:27:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front Brake Lever Not Activating Brake Light?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.