Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
bike only starts on "pri" (Read 82 times)
mau2wu
YaBB Newbies

MAU2W

Florida
bike only starts on "pri"
03/21/12 at 19:26:43

I was wondering if you had any thoughts on a little problemo I have. When I leave my bike for a day or so without riding it, I can't get it to start.  But if I move the fuel switch to "PRI" it will start up just fine.  Then, the rest of the day it will start normally.  Do I have a fuel leak somewhere?  Or could this be something related to the Solenoid?  Some months ago I removed the head cover, tightened up the head bolts, and did a valve job.  Or should I just ignore it and keep starting up by putting the switch on PRI?  Other than this the bike is running like a top.   Wink

06 s-40, sporster muffler, 1/2 spacer, 150 main, 52.5 pilot, black pipe wrapped in tin foil.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: bike only starts on "pri"
Reply #1 - 03/21/12 at 19:37:11

any evidence of a fuel leak?

park it outside in the sun?

on a day that you'd normally have to switch to prime to start, open the carb bowl drain into a cup and see how much gas is there.

WWW   IP Logged
mau2wu
YaBB Newbies

MAU2W

Florida
Reply #2 - 04/26/12 at 08:19:37

I studied the fuel/air system and discovered that the vacuum hose (one with the metal ringed protector around it) had holes in it.  Those clips that come with it are pesky and can cut into the rubber.  

If I have 9,200 miles on the bike do you think the cam chain will hold out for much longer?  Should I open her up and check it?

06 s-40, sporster muffler, 1/2 spacer, 150 main, 52.5 pilot, black pipe wrapped in tin foil.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/26/12 at 08:40:14

Can't tell with the newer bikes.  seems like they go a lot earlier.
And a lot depends on your riding habits, do you ride a lot of short rides(<20), then yes check it.  A lot of long rides (>30) and you'll get in the range of 20k miles out of the chain.  Extremely long rides (>60) and you might get 30k miles.

Replace the vac hose and hope for the best.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:20:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › bike only starts on "pri"

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.