Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Civil War Buffs!!! Historians. (Read 157 times)
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Civil War Buffs!!! Historians.
03/20/12 at 14:14:36

Shiloh National Battlefield Park will commemorate the 150 th anniversary of the Battle of Shiloh or The Battle of Pittsburg Landing, as you Yankees may call it. April 6-7, 1862. Seriously, Shiloh is an outstanding Park with a great tour by car or bike or mc, or by foot, as many do. (about 7-9 miles?) Here in the South, most folks just pull over and let mcs pass so they can rubberneck and stop as needed without a rear bump. I never go on big days like the one coming up because of crowds, but was there on my Savage yesterday. If you are interested be sure to come. There are usually cannon firings, musket demos, a short film shown hourly that really cements the battle in your mind as you tour later. a self guided tour that can take 45 minutes or two days. Cannons abound with more than 60 at the hornets nest. It is chilling to see the line of cannons and look across the field a couple of hundred yards away where human targets lay in the Sunken Road. Shiloh church is recreated beside a practicing Methodist church. The Peach Orchard and Bloody Pond have their story as well. I have photos of me on the same cannon year after year as I grew up here 50 miles away. My wife calls it My Cannon, but I have yet to figure a way to get it home without imposing on the already strained prison system.  Grin To me Shiloh is a quiet, almost sacred burial ground, more than a battlefield. I am particularly touched when I see the small American flags placed in the National Cemetery on Holidays. It is a functioning cemetery, and I have a friend buried there. Anyway. come on down and experience our hospitality. Memphis is 100 miles west, Selmer, Tn is about 25 miles, Iuka, Ms is 40 miles South, Jackson, Tn is about 40 miles north, Rooms will be full. Register early. BTW admission is about $4/vehicle, more for buses, groups, etc, but very modest considering the sheer size and upkeep required. Plan to come. You'll come back.  Smiley  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Civil War Buffs!!! Historians.
Reply #1 - 03/21/12 at 20:23:20

Been there many times.  It's very chilling to see firsthand where many Americans died at the hands of other Americans.

What I can't figure out is why in the world they fought in wool coats!  The temp around here in the summer sometimes can exceed 100 degrees while the humidity stays at a constant 80-90%.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #2 - 03/22/12 at 02:43:40

Boofer and Kris

Ya'll must not be too far off.  (Nice to have fellow Savage/S-40 folks near-by).

I'm here in Lynchburg,Tn. if ya ever get this far east I'd be glad to show ya around the area.

That first weekend in April sounds interesting!   I'll see if my Scout Troop is interested in going, if so - the Van will have to be the "Order-of-the-Day" unless too many want to go then the Bike can turn into the overflow vechile.   Last time that happened the debate got hot on who would get to ride the back of the Savage.   Its all in fun .   Thanks for the tip.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 03/22/12 at 07:53:35

I'm about 30 miles northeast of downtown Memphis. Could take some of the overflow if you can't get a room, there is tent space available by the pond. Primitive camping though.

Fort Pillow (major battle site) is maybe an hour's ride from here.

Skirmishes were fought on this farm, the 400+ year old oak that came down a year ago has shrapnel and minie balls in it over 4" deep. I've torn teeth off two saw chains hitting cannon ball fragments. Frequently turning up pieces of harness hardware with the plow and tiller.

The old manor house was here during the War of Northern Aggression. It and the log barn that burned down decades ago were rumored to have been used as field hospitals during the skirmishes/battles along every Memphis area water course.

Keep hoping to find a KGC stash here so I can get started really restoring the place to its former glory.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #4 - 03/22/12 at 10:30:27

For you Rebs -

Although I've lived my entire life in Ohio, I am what would have been known as a Southern sympathizer.  I simply beliueve in the right of self determination .

I have never figured out why most people call it the Civil War.  As a history major, the name is totally incorrect.

A civil war occurs when two or more factions are competing for the control of a country.  That was not the case in our conflict.  The South simply wanted to be independent of the Union.

So, to me, the two best titles would be either The War Between the States, or The War For Southern Indepence.  Either is politically neutral and far more correct than calling it the Civil War.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 03/22/12 at 16:37:03

WD wrote on 03/22/12 at 07:53:35:
War of Northern Aggression

Grin

Haven't heard that one in a while!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #6 - 03/23/12 at 12:59:09

Civil War - a fine example of an oxymoron.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/23/12 at 13:46:45

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 03/22/12 at 10:30:27:
For you Rebs -

Although I've lived my entire life in Ohio, I am what would have been known as a Southern sympathizer.  I simply beliueve in the right of self determination .

I have never figured out why most people call it the Civil War.  As a history major, the name is totally incorrect.

A civil war occurs when two or more factions are competing for the control of a country.  That was not the case in our conflict.  The South simply wanted to be independent of the Union.

So, to me, the two best titles would be either The War Between the States, or The War For Southern Indepence.  Either is politically neutral and far more correct than calling it the Civil War.

Civil War is just fine.

since the north considered the south part of the union, it was a war amongst citizens of the same nation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 03/23/12 at 16:01:38

Did you know there were 3 times as many northern yanks killed as southern rebels.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 03/23/12 at 17:24:37

I bet you died 5 times as many as anyone else   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #10 - 03/25/12 at 18:57:41

The numbers I settled on after all these years: 600,000+ dead with about 150,000 yankees and around 75,000 Rebels. It is my understanding that most young men died of disease. They were farm boys, never exposed to the germs we grow up developing immunity from. I remember Ken Burns' documentary stating that 20% of Mississippi's budget went to prosthetic devices after the war. There is a sight at Shiloh where one of the first, if not the first, field hospitals of the war was set up.

Lost Artist, I have no problem with "Civil War", but I believe Confederate soldiers were excluded from being buried in the Shiloh Nat'l Cemetery at the time of the war. I need to research this since I forgot why.  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #11 - 03/26/12 at 08:51:41

WD

So how far are you from Shiloh and Corinth path ?    I understand some Reinactors are gathering in Corinth this last weekend of March.   ???  Ya know any more ...

I've got a Scout troop that need an outing !

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #12 - 03/27/12 at 05:24:50

MM, I just saw your post. Please go to www.shiloh150.org. Maps, registration, the works. Shiloh is about 25 miles north of Corinth. You can also check The Daily Corinthian newspaper, er, daily as the time gets closer. MM, you are about 150 miles from Shiloh, give or take.  Smiley

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #13 - 03/27/12 at 12:56:52

Speaking of, I recently bought a replica Griswold and Gunison from Denix of Spain, the only gun confederate made. Anyone own any of their product? It's a pretty fine replica at a good price.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 03/27/12 at 15:13:51

MMR, if you look at the state map, find Memphis, go north on Hwy 14 to Rosemark. Probably an hour and a half to two hours from Shiloh. Have never been there, haven't finished checking out the local battlefields and encampment sites. Turned up some horse teeth and a couple more rifle bullets this weekend in the garden.

Lisa's grandmother's grandfather was President Davis' personal military courier. We still have his double barrel caplock 16g shotgun in the manor house.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 13:32:27

General CategoryThe Cafe › Civil War Buffs!!! Historians.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.