Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Idle speed and tach (Read 613 times)
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Re: Idle speed and tach
Reply #30 - 03/23/12 at 01:51:50

This might help...

This is from the "muffler sounds" in the tech section (Savage with a Sportster exhaust)

The first 8 secs are an idle at exactly 900rpm

http://suzukisavage.com/images/uploaded/Savage_Sporty.mp3

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #31 - 03/23/12 at 06:31:28

Thanks Philm !! .I'm just glad it isn't too slow! I appreciate your help.

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #32 - 03/23/12 at 06:41:58

This topic has prompted me to get one of those cheap digital hour meter/tachometer combos.

I picked up this for $20. Doesn't look to be all that classy in appearance or all that amazing in functionality, but it should do just fine for getting the occasional idle speed reading:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049IFX56/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

hopefully I'll get a few spare minutes this weekend to try it out. I've been adjusting my carb (granted, it is a newly installed VM38) just about every chance I can get recently. it reacts a surprisingly large amount to 1/16 turns of the air screw.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #33 - 03/23/12 at 07:25:44

Spacepirates,I bought the same one, last week online . It didn't arrive yet . Let me know if you have to take the tank off to connect it.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #34 - 03/23/12 at 23:17:18

I've already had two that are similar to that one, though not the same and both died after about a year of use.  I'm not going that route again. Also had one of the $40 chicom Baron knockoffs, which barely lasted a year.  Nah, no tach at the moment and I don't want to spend the cash necessary for a Baron but my next will probably be at least a Koso.  Maybe similar to this one...

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #35 - 03/24/12 at 08:17:18

Just took this video yesterday with my cell phone...sounds like crap compared to being in person. I didn't realize I had my idle set to about 1,500 and I thought it sounds much slower in person...but here's another comparison for you...

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #36 - 03/25/12 at 06:22:59

Ejid, thanks for the video. I think mine sounds a little slower than yours.

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #37 - 03/25/12 at 14:03:17

rl153 wrote on 03/23/12 at 07:25:44:
Spacepirates,I bought the same one, last week online . It didn't arrive yet . Let me know if you have to take the tank off to connect it.

The directions say to wrap it around the spark plug with one wire and then ground the other (connect to frame) so I guess it would be easier to take the tank off but i don't think you'd have to if you really wanted to avoid it.

I just got splint put on my right hand (and I'm right handed) so I won't be getting much work done for a while. bleh.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #38 - 07/14/12 at 20:10:18

I use a tach for diagnostic purposes only.  Here is the one I use:

- ENM tach  Model PT15B2 (includes hour meter) http://www.enmco.com
Picture:

I've got the wire wrapped around the spark plug wire, with the free end tucked away.

When I need to set the idle speed, I just hook the tach up to the wire and set the idle speed.  When I'm done, I disconnect the wire, tuck it back away, and put the tach back in my drawer.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #39 - 07/15/12 at 17:55:50

I bought the same one space pirates has. There was one wire and i wrapped it around the spark plug without taking off the tank. I mounted it in the space in the center of the handlebars with a couple of zip ties . Been working good for two months as far as the tach goes ,but the hour meter isn't accurate for some reason . I think there is a way to adjust it ,but I don't have it right. I only paid $13 dollars including shipping on ebay . I'm satisfied.

IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #40 - 07/16/12 at 18:09:04

in the first page there was talk about what speed do you roll in 1st, i am at 20km/h on flat ground. idle to high???

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:27:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Idle speed and tach

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.