Send Topic Print
Idle speed and tach (Read 613 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Idle speed and tach
03/18/12 at 20:03:53

My bike is running good (2005, 4500 mi) ,I beleive the oil level is right ,I keep it just visible on the side stand cold. When you hold it level the glass is full,cold. I see some guys say you have to have the idle at 1000 to 2000 rpms or the head doesn't get enough oil . I'm not sure what mine is idling at it seems like it hums pretty good ,but if i turn it up any more, it backfires on decelleration and shutdown,whereas now everything is smooth.. Where can I get a decent inexpensive tach to test this thats really easy to connect . Or should I just leave well enough alone.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Idle speed and tach
Reply #1 - 03/18/12 at 20:34:56

If it "hums pretty good" as you say at idle, I'd guess you are probably fine. It'll also depend on whether you sit at idle for long periods of time; if you do a lot of stop-n-go traffic, it would be more of an issue that if you are riding at pretty good speed most of the time...

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #2 - 03/18/12 at 21:38:32

I bought & installed a tach on my 05 and was pleasantly surprised to find that the idle I already had the bike set at was right at about 1,000`-1,200 RPM. Out of curiosity, I turned it down to the thump, thump, thump, which sounded pretty cool, but I would NEVER keep it that low knowing the oil/head lubrication issues that it can cause.

In my opinion, if you think it is humming along pretty good, I think you've probably set it to a safe idle level already. I wouldn't bother with installing a tach, unless you like your gadgets... Roll Eyes

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 03/18/12 at 22:36:19

YOu could look at RPM/vs MPH in any given gear & get a clue as to the idle rpm. Just get rolling on a smooth, level area & let it idle, Youll be as far off as the spedo

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #4 - 03/19/12 at 04:26:26

Jog ,how fast would you have to roll at idle in first to know you have a correct idle?  Also is there an inexpensive diagnostic tach you could clip on easily sold somewhere? I don't need a permanent tach.Thanks.

IP Logged
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
Reply #5 - 03/19/12 at 05:03:49

I installed this in less than an hour. I have had it for about a year with no issues. Peace of mind is priceless.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200319029_200319029

Cool

2007 2/3 spacer, 150 main, 55 pilot, dyna muffler, K&N box, cateye tail, mustang fender bib, GZ250 seat.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #6 - 03/19/12 at 09:57:51

How does the hour meter  actually connect to the motor electronically? I don't want to mount it permanently.Thanks.

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #7 - 03/19/12 at 10:06:16

I've used these on other equipment. The wire in the package wraps around your plug wire a few times and reads when there is power running through it. The ones that I've used, have a battery in them to maintain the data collected. They're pretty accurate, but they have a longer response time than I'd feel comfortable with for basing any kind of shifting decision on. For setting idle or testing things, it would be great, also good to let you know what RPM you're cruising at.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 03/19/12 at 10:13:49

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #9 - 03/19/12 at 10:36:13

I was looking for the plug wire and it seems impossible to get at without taking the tank off . Is that true ? It's hard to hook something like this up temporarily.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 03/19/12 at 11:43:52

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1124016763

Or you can take the chrome covers off and pitch them.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 03/19/12 at 11:50:24

Nope, the plug wire is available from the outside without taking anything off (tank included) and you only have to go around it 2-3 times with the little red sensor wire from the tach.

You see, you can go around the spark plug wire anywhere on its length -- you can go around it where you can get to it then push the red sensor (wrapped around the spark plug cable) up out of sight so it doesn't look all ugly.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #12 - 03/19/12 at 13:43:08

Thanks for the info! If I want to use this device without mounting the tach ,can I cut the sensor wire and put a jack on the end of it ,and just plug it in when I want to use it?

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #13 - 03/19/12 at 13:57:20

Depending on how long you cut the wire you might not even need to put a jack on. Most of them have the wire squeezed into a groove on the back of the unit. It doesn't actually plug in.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 03/20/12 at 12:38:33

rl153 wrote on 03/19/12 at 04:26:26:
Jog ,how fast would you have to roll at idle in first to know you have a correct idle?  Also is there an inexpensive diagnostic tach you could clip on easily sold somewhere? I don't need a permanent tach.Thanks.

Hafta work that out,,IDK,,maybe someone with a tach could see what their rpm is rolling in 1st.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=dwell+meter

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:21:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Idle speed and tach

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.