drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Gas cap leak?
03/18/12 at 15:43:02

So I'm out riding today, stop to fill up. No more full than ever before. Get on bike, start up and gas starts running out from under cap. Shut off quickly and get off. Clean up mess. As I hop on bike, I hear a hissing noise and gas starts running out from under cap again. Every time I bounce the bike a little or jostle it, I hear hissss and then leak. Finally quits doing it and I ride away wondering, WTF ?? Any idea's? Do I need a new gas cap?

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Re: Gas cap leak?
Reply #1 - 03/18/12 at 18:31:31

This is an issue in the tech section, with no real fix yet that's been posted. I've tried everything from new gas cap gaskets to plumbing gaskets to doubling up on gaskets... the little bead in your gas cap that let's air in may be clogged, I've tried cleaning that too on mine and I still get gas spilling out when I fill up..

My fix is to fill it up and let it sit there for a few minutes then start the bike on the kickstand and let it idle for about 30 seconds... doesn't always work though  Cheesy

You could *try* loosening the screws (they lock) on the bottom of the gas cap a little to let the "insides" breathe more... that seemed to help mine..

Edit: Motobuddha has his "filler" hole custom fabricated to keep it from leaking.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 03/18/12 at 22:28:47

IDK if I just got lucky, or if thisa actually helps, but after its gassed up & before I put the cap on,, I wiggle it a little,, I also spent some time putting a thin plastic shim under the rubber gasket so it closes just a hair tighter, Have a look at the sealing edge of the tank. Is it smooth>

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #3 - 03/19/12 at 08:33:16

Don't forget that gas expands about 10% after it warms up from being pumped out of the cold cold ground.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #4 - 03/19/12 at 09:06:55

OK here is my history of my battle with the gas cap leak:
1) replaced original gasket with the spud washer, which promptly turned punky.
2) Packed out original washer with supposedly gas proof gasket material I had laying around- still leaked.
3) taped up filler hole in tank and smoothed and polished the contact area of the neck with emery cloth. Still leaked but not as much.
4) installed the Honda gasket- leaked worse.
5) Cut the hole in the Honda gasket larger so it would fit over the edge of the lock assembly and seat right against the cap and re-installed the original gasket on top of it. This worked fine for a while, but the Honda gasket shifted, blocking the vent intake, and causing the bike to act like it was running out of gas. It would start up after a few minutes and run for a few minutes before it would starve for gas again.
6) Cut a slot in the Honda gasket and positioned the slot so as not to block the vent, and I haven't had a leak since. Smiley

« Last Edit: 03/19/12 at 12:56:04 by arteacher »  

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 03/19/12 at 12:25:38

It's a vented cap.  I just fill it until the fuel barely kisses the bottom of the fill tube and stop.  Then I rock it side to side gently to "burp" it, replace the cap and go.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:23:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas cap leak?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.