Send Topic Print
Highway bars (Read 109 times)
Cavie

My wife made me do
it

Port charlotte Fl
Highway bars
03/17/12 at 19:10:53

I'm aware that there seems to be only 2 highway bars that fit the S40. The suzukis are too small and the other is too expencive. I'm surprised that nobody has found a model close enough to modify the mounting. Anybody have any ideas??

'05 Boulavard S40
'03 Volusia Intruder
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Re: Highway bars
Reply #1 - 03/17/12 at 19:27:23

Depends on whether you're looking for an "engine guard" or just highway bars. I cobbled these together when I had my Savage out of bars I found in a salvage shop (I was later told they were for a Harley something-or-other) with a homemade bracket made with strap iron, and chain link fence brackets. Didn't work too bad.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #2 - 03/17/12 at 19:28:32

HAS ANYBODY GOT ANY IDEAS??? Does a cat have a climbing gear?
I have the wonderful OE Suzuki crash bars with a couple of $20 fold up pegs. I only use one at a time, but it does get the blood flowing back into my legs and rear portion after switching for a mile or so. Never was much on the reclining/ape hanger look anyway.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Cavie

My wife made me do
it

Port charlotte Fl
Reply #3 - 03/17/12 at 19:38:04

Looking for engine guard. Bike is the wifes and she is short so no need for foot rests. Lay down % is higher at low speed forgetful parking lot manovers. Of course they have to be sturdy to insure no crushed feet in a high speed drop.

'05 Boulavard S40
'03 Volusia Intruder
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #4 - 03/17/12 at 19:43:04

By "wonderful" I meant "not wonderful".

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Tonydtiger1971

Yet while we were
sinners Christ died
for us

Dawsonville, GA
Reply #5 - 03/17/12 at 20:23:34

I got the OEM bars from Suzuki, it helps to lift one leg at a time.  I'm about to add some extensions that also lower them down some to hopefully make it a more comfortable ride.  Will post pics when I'm done.

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Tonydtiger1971 rgiskardrentlav@yahoo.com   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 03/18/12 at 00:34:19

got the oem engine guard on my 06..
only time shes been down is when i didnt insure the side stade was totaly secured in the down position..
cant testify to at speed mishaps..

had a 75 gt 550 with large highway bars and pegs on the inside og the radius..
was doin a double pass( none since) and the closest cager pulled out in front of me caught the threades of the pegs and folded the hwy bar back bout 60 degs b4 he heard my horn and saw my high beams in his door mirror..
they were 1 1/4"  

theres no better rider protection than riding like everybody else on the road (other bikers too!!)is out to kill you...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #7 - 03/18/12 at 03:19:48

Most of the aftermarket bars may not be much help on a high speed layover; that's why most manufacturers call them engine guards and not crash guards anymore... insurance purposes.  They're usually good for low speed mishaps though, from what I've read.  

If you want something real stout, homemade is probably the way to go. With access to a pipe bender (or even just a welder) and some materials, a fella could probably make a guard that would likely outlast the bike. Grin

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 03/18/12 at 19:36:39

The Wingerlines are fairly stout but they are a little pricey.  They've actually gone up quite a bit since I bought mine about six or seven years ago.  I use them because I had a similar set on a '76 KZ750 that saved my leg and bike a fair amount of damage in a laydown once and it stuck with me.  I smacked my head pretty good on that one too and since my helmet took the damage instead of my skull, I am personally sold on wearing one every time I ride.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 00:24:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Highway bars

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.