Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Problems starting first time this year (Read 309 times)
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Re: Problems starting first time this year
Reply #15 - 03/20/12 at 11:50:07

the rubber tube that runs from the carb to the airbox (if you have an airbox). I once tried to run my bike without the air filter at all and it ran like what you're describing. Sucking too much air...or at least a different amount of air than what I had jetted for.
Have you ever changed the jets?

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
boocifus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

VA
Reply #16 - 03/20/12 at 12:25:18

I upgraded the main jet two years ago with the kit from Lancer.  It has run fine up until this point.  Maybe I should take another look at the filter however.  Not something that I have changed on a regular basis.  Maybe check the TEV also?

IP Logged
boocifus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

VA
Reply #17 - 03/21/12 at 20:41:07

I think I might not a new carb at this point.  I have pretty much stripped the air mixture screw making adjustments.  I feel like I am so close to getting it but so far away.  She idles just fine but when you give her any gas she bogs down, backfires, and spits flame out of the tailpipe.  Does that mean she is running extra rich?

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #18 - 03/22/12 at 04:40:43

First of all, no part of an air filter is going to affect idling or low speed running in any way..shape or form,......neither is main or midrange jetting.

Symtoms you're having could be anything from valve adjustment, valve timing, (cam chain) ignition timing, or a very lean fuel problem.
If I had to guess which, I shouldn't, but I guess I'd call it out to be a carb problem.

What happens when you choke it while opening the throttle,......does that help or hinder ? Then take it from there.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
boocifus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

VA
Reply #19 - 03/22/12 at 08:06:18

She does idle faster with the choke out at 1/2 and even faster out at full but the problem still persists.  Give her gas and she bogs down after an initial burst.  Subsequent revving decreases the amount of burst so that by third rev she instantly bogs down.  I refilled the bowl with seafoam last night and will try her again after work.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 03/22/12 at 08:10:41

take the air filter off as a test and she how she runs.

WWW   IP Logged
boocifus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

VA
Reply #21 - 03/22/12 at 11:14:42

Removing the air filter doesn't provide a noticeable change.  Kinda surprising because I expected it to.

IP Logged
boocifus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

VA
Reply #22 - 03/23/12 at 06:25:30

The only thing I can come up with at this point is that there may have been a small amount of old gas left in the tank that mixed with the new gas.  Or maybe the new gas wasn't good.  I'll replace the gas this weekend and see what happens.  I also rode her around a bit yesterday to see if running her around would help.  I noticed that with the choke all the way in, she would die very quickly.  As I moved the choke further out I could give her more throttle before she bogged down.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #23 - 03/23/12 at 07:23:41

I think I'd double check that main jet...could be a piece of crud blocking it.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
dehydratedH2O
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 03/28/12 at 22:06:39

I hate to thread crap, but I think I'm having the same problem with my roommate's bike. When he first bought it, it had been sitting for a while and ran, but not well, so we cleaned the carb. Shortly after that, it started running worse -- dying when slowing down for lights, backfire, sputtering, flames, etc. I accidentally killed the battery one night, and when I charged it back up I couldn't get it running for more than a few seconds again. Now I can't even get it to start (though it is certainly trying to), but it slowly leaks fuel into the airbox and onto the ground. It emptied its own full tank just sitting in the driveway for a week or two.
I had my roommate order a DynoJet kit thinking it's a clogged/broken jet or maybe we messed something up when cleaning the carb. It sounds from this thread like I'm on the right track. Am I? Should I also get him to replace the carb boots and the vac line? If so, where's the best/cheapest place to get them? I'm going to make him buy a fuel filter, as well - what kind should he get/where should he buy it? (I'm guessing just a cheapo from autozone will do.)
Somewhat offtopic: the bike has a Supertrapp pipe, but no actual disc-muffler thing on the end of it. I'm guessing, then, that it's just acting like a straight pipe? Is that okay for the bike?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #25 - 03/29/12 at 03:16:45

Usually, if I work on something & it changes, I figure I did it.

KInda defeats the purpose of a S/Trapp to run it that way. donut?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
boocifus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

VA
Reply #26 - 03/29/12 at 04:48:30

I still haven't got her running right although I'm at a point where I won't be able to work on it for awhile.  My back has been getting worse over the past couple of weeks.  Im scheduled for back surgery on Monday so it will be some time before I recover and get back to it.

IP Logged
dehydratedH2O
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 03/29/12 at 07:52:07

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/29/12 at 03:16:45:
Usually, if I work on something & it changes, I figure I did it.

KInda defeats the purpose of a S/Trapp to run it that way. donut?

yeah it does, but it's how he bought the bike. he's looking at another can because the screw holes to fit the discs are rusted out.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #28 - 03/29/12 at 08:18:56

dehydratedH2O wrote on 03/28/12 at 22:06:39:
I hate to thread crap, but I think I'm having the same problem with my roommate's bike. When he first bought it, it had been sitting for a while and ran, but not well, so we cleaned the carb. Shortly after that, it started running worse -- dying when slowing down for lights, backfire, sputtering, flames, etc. I accidentally killed the battery one night, and when I charged it back up I couldn't get it running for more than a few seconds again. Now I can't even get it to start (though it is certainly trying to), but it slowly leaks fuel into the airbox and onto the ground. It emptied its own full tank just sitting in the driveway for a week or two.
You need to check your petcock, should stop the flow when off.  check the vac line for fuel, shouldn't be any fuel.  And you need to replace the float valve.

Quote:
I had my roommate order a DynoJet kit thinking it's a clogged/broken jet or maybe we messed something up when cleaning the carb. It sounds from this thread like I'm on the right track. Am I? Should I also get him to replace the carb boots and the vac line? If so, where's the best/cheapest place to get them? I'm going to make him buy a fuel filter, as well - what kind should he get/where should he buy it? (I'm guessing just a cheapo from autozone will do.)

There's one there I like, kinda big, but ends at a right angle so feeds right into the carb.
Quote:
Somewhat offtopic: the bike has a Supertrapp pipe, but no actual disc-muffler thing on the end of it. I'm guessing, then, that it's just acting like a straight pipe? Is that okay for the bike?

A supertrapp with no disks will give you lots of tuning problems besides johnny law coming down on you.  It'll run very lean.  So unless you put in a big disk... you need to figure out some way of closing it off a little.  I think I would screw a plate on the back to close it off completely and drill a pattern of 6, 1/4" holes initially.  And you can make them larger to suit.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 09:19:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Problems starting first time this year

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.