Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Problems starting first time this year (Read 309 times)
boocifus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

VA
Problems starting first time this year
03/17/12 at 14:07:45

I tried starting her up for the first time this year and can't get her done.  First the battery was dead so I replaced it.  I also drained the old gas out and filled the tank.  Now she will turn over but only run for a few seconds.  I thought that maybe she wasn't getting fuel.  I pulled the large house that connects the petcock to the bowl.  With the petcock switched to On or Reserve there is no fuel coming out of this hose but if I switch it to Prime, fuel flows out the hose.  Is this normal?  I also noticed that if I left it in the Prime position, fuel flows out of the tube that points straight down underneath the bike.  Is this normal?  Any suggestions on what could be going on?  Thanks in advance for your help.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Problems starting first time this year
Reply #1 - 03/17/12 at 14:52:38

Sounds like your petcock is working normally.
When you turn it to "on" or "Res." the engine needs to be running before fuel will flow. It's controlled by a vacuum hose from the intake manifold that connects to the petcock.
"Prime" allows the fuel to flow all the time, but it will overflow the carb, and that's why you are seeing it flowing out of the overflow tube.

IP Logged
boocifus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

VA
Reply #2 - 03/17/12 at 15:17:29

So the tube on the very bottom of the bike is fuel overflow? Somehow I thought that was related to oil.  Could it be a spark plug issue?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 03/17/12 at 16:27:52

that tube drains whatever is in the airbox.
gas coming from it is indication your float valve is stuck or has failed.
give the carb a sharp rap to knock it loose.
put some seafoam in your tank to help dissolve the varnish making everything stick.

charge your battery.

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 03/17/12 at 18:19:35

And in other words, your bike won't start........or run right because it is majorly flooding.

If rapping the carb w/ a plastic handle screw driver doesn't stop the flooding, maybe try turning the petcock back to on, which will stop the gas flow, then loosen the drain screw on the bottom of the carb bowl and drain it. This will let the float drop, which opens the valve that is leaking. Close the drain, and turn the Petcock back to prime.
Hopefully, the inrush of fuel will wash the valve free of any foreign material that was causing it to leak. In a few seconds, the bowl should fill and the float valve should shut the fuel completely off.
And if by chance this fixes the problem, give your bike a break by installing a very small fuel filter tween the petcock and the carb.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 03/18/12 at 00:19:50

just my theory
temperature afffected long(long  being relative to temp) term storage can  evaporate the fuel outta the bowl..
open bowl drain any old fuel(into a safe container)
turn petcock to prime then close drain and turn petcock to on,remove old fuel container from area
now try to start

i avoid this by going out to the carriage house every couple weeks and
fire er up and let er idle till the oil comes up to tamp,usually a couple o brews depending on what side of freezing it is..
has worked fine for the last 6 winters no sea frum justa lil marvel mystery oil i run in every 3rd tank or so..
marvelhelps keep the ptcock internals from dryin out..JMO

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 03/18/12 at 01:01:25

Mine hasnt been started in over 2 years. I drained the bowl, got just about a teaspoon of green stuff,, foul smelling,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
boocifus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

VA
Reply #7 - 03/18/12 at 09:35:28

Thanks for the responses so far.  What is the most effective way to use the seafoam in this situation?  Into the gas tank or straight into the bowl?

IP Logged
boocifus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

VA
Reply #8 - 03/18/12 at 16:22:20

I tried the suggestion of draining the bowl and setting it to prime. Still no dice.  I also removed the hose going to the airbox.  The float that sits inside the carb was in the down position.  I wiggled it up and down to see if it moves freely. No problems there.  Im going to put a new spark plug in.  If it doesn't work after that, I don't know what to do.

IP Logged
boocifus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

VA
Reply #9 - 03/18/12 at 19:01:35

New spark plug and charged up battery.  She still only runs for a second or two. Any more suggestions?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 03/18/12 at 20:03:09

on the use of seafoam an ounce or two in the tank will help keep the carb clean.  In severe cases, fill the bowl and let sit overnight.  drain it and pour it in the tank cause it won't run on seafoam.

being that you cleaned the carb, we're only trying to clean something you missed.

how's the drain tube now?

How's your air filter?
a dirty filter will cause it to run rich and it has kept a savage from running before.

are you doing anything different from the last time it ran?

WWW   IP Logged
boocifus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

VA
Reply #11 - 03/18/12 at 20:09:03

I put a few ounces of sea foam in the tank.  I haven't actually looked at the filter though.  I'll give that a look over tomorrow.  I'm not really doing anything different from last year.  I did upgrade the jets last year.  Maybe that tiny screw needs to be adjusted?

IP Logged
boocifus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

VA
Reply #12 - 03/20/12 at 03:24:40

Well, I thought I had everything worked out yesterday.  I checked the air filter and it was ok so I decided to remove the carb and clean it up.  Once I got everything back together she fired right up.  I gave her several minutes to warm up until she would eventually idle with the choke in.  I took her for a test ride and all was not well.  From the start she had a nice burst of power that lasted maybe 2 seconds but then she would bog down, backfire, and almost die.  I tried pulling the choke back out to half and adjust the idle screw but niether really had an effect.  Any ideas at this point?

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #13 - 03/20/12 at 07:20:48

Did you check the carb boot for cracks? Is the Vac line old and cracked? Did you try running it on Prime? Did you check the jets to make sure there wasn't any crud blocking them? How does the spark plug look?
Just throwing out some ideas...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
boocifus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

VA
Reply #14 - 03/20/12 at 07:25:02

I installed a brand new spark plug.  I did try setting it to prime and blocking off the vaccum hose and nipple like others have suggested.  This actually seemed to make it run worse.  When I took the carb apart, everything seemed pretty clean. Not sure exactly what you mean by "carb boot".

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 09:33:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Problems starting first time this year

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.