Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SAVAGE ROADSTER CARB TUNING ADVICE? (Read 65 times)
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SAVAGE ROADSTER CARB TUNING ADVICE?
03/15/12 at 12:42:06

LANCER; I sent you a PM about this, but read they were down... Guess I'll put it out there for everyone to pick at:

So... progress on the bike is going well. If you read my newest update, you'll see that Jay came up with a really sweet looking new exhaust for me. I love the way the bike looks with it, but I'm not sure how things are going to go when it comes time to tune it.

We had originally planned to use a Dyna muffler, so there are lots of guides on here for that (150/55 jets with a 2/3rds spacer mod) However, this new thing is a whole new beast...

You can see from the pics that it fits over the OUTSIDE of the exhaust pipe, which looks perfect on the bike, but is much larger than the actual size of the exhaust outlet. And although it does have baffles and glass inside, it's pretty much wide open straight through (what is that, about 2" in diameter?) so I know it's going to flow a lot more air. I've also noticed that the K&N filter I picked up on Ebay is much longer than most I've seen on here, and that should give me more airflow as well.

All of which sounds awesome! Except that I don't want to lose all of my torque and mid-range... so I don't want to open it up way too much. I know it's all conjecture until we actually get it running, and that's a ways off, but I'm just curious if you guys think this will go too far. I suppose I could try to fit a smaller baffle into that muffler if I have to... What are your thoughts?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: SAVAGE ROADSTER CARB TUNING ADVICE?
Reply #1 - 03/15/12 at 14:26:38

New territory requires that you do your own testing...
Here's a guide...
Serowbot's carb tuning tips for beginners...

It looks sweet,.. I can see why you want to make it work...

If you get it tuned, and still feel a loss in the low end, or it's too loud... have yer' buddy weld in a baffle...

I'd start with a 155/55#, 2/3rd spacer ... and work your way from there...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/15/12 at 14:32:44

Thanks Serowbot!
I glanced through your carb tuning post at the beginning of this project, but had forgotten about it. Looks like I will need it more than I thought.
Cheers!
Grin

IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #3 - 03/15/12 at 14:35:03

Not about carbs, could you tell me something about those shocks?  I can't remember ever having seen any like them before.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/15/12 at 15:07:31

Those are some sweet Vintage Red Wing racing shocks; I found mine on Ebay, but recently found they are available in various sizes and spring weights through OMAR'S DIRT TRACK RACING. He's been great about answering my questions, and very cool to work with...

http://omarsdtr.com/shox2.html

The Savage has a funny sized mounting bolt for the shocks, so we did need to make custom bushings for these guys; you could probably use stock bushings from your old shocks as well if you have any...

« Last Edit: 03/15/12 at 16:34:45 by teabowl13 »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:30:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › SAVAGE ROADSTER CARB TUNING ADVICE?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.