Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Drive Belt Rubbing Tire (Read 142 times)
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Drive Belt Rubbing Tire
03/13/12 at 17:00:14

So, got the bike back from the craptastic mechanics... Blah blah blah..

I took the beast out for a nice long drive and when I parked it, I noticed some wear on the edge of my rear tire. The wearing matches up with the location of the drive belt, which seems very close to the tire (VERY close). I can touch the tire with it by pulling it a little bit. I checked the alignment, which seems good. Tension on the belt seems good. The belt isn't 100% center on the sprockets, but is leaning away from the tire, not towards it. I'm going to swing over to the gas station and check/add air pressure.

Other than that, what could be the issue? I plan on switching to a chain, but due to the depletion of my bike fund, I figured I would put a few more miles on the belt first. With all of the other troubles from those mechanics, I assumed the alignment was off. But with those issues not being the case, I'm at a loss.

Any help or guidance is appreciated... By god I love riding this bike! Today was 77 degrees in PA and I decided not to ride it out of fear of this old belt flying off in the middle of nowhere!

IP Logged
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Drive Belt Rubbing Tire
Reply #1 - 03/13/12 at 17:01:25

Also, the tire is the same since I've had it and this issue hasn't occurred prior to the mechanics "fixing" the bike.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 03/13/12 at 17:22:07

Did your craptastic mechanics take the rear wheel off and swap the positions of the right and left hand axle spacers ???

Grin

Axle spacer dyslexia is a common trait seen in our Suzuki craptastic mechanics ...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 03/13/12 at 21:49:46

Whats the deal with these shops? Talk about a bunch of doofi..( thats plural doofus, right?)

How many have had the oil filter installed bakkerds? You can get a new filter cover,,, but what happens inside while its starving? I would have to stand where I could see if I let someone else change the oil. or do the valves, or pull the wheel,, heck, after the stories Ive seen here, I dont trust the shops, Well,, I know an independent outfit I trust, but Ive known these guys for a few years,,I can walk in the shop & hang out, maybe even help a little, I trust that bunch, but I couldnt drop my bike somewhere else & go home,, not after what Ive seen here,  

Exception, MPH in Houston,, those guys are Professionals,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 03/13/12 at 22:01:38

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 03/13/12 at 17:22:07:

Did your craptastic mechanics take the rear wheel off and swap the positions of the right and left hand axle spacers ???

Grin

Axle spacer dyslexia is a common trait seen in our Suzuki craptastic mechanics ...

That'd be my first guess.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 03/14/12 at 05:09:13

Shops !@#$%^&*()
I usually NEVER go to shops, but it was cold, so
a couple days ago I took my Jeep in for LOF, thats all, and thats what was on the order, and thats what I signed for.
Next thing I knew, the guy has one of my spark plugs out.....telling me how its not real bad but new ones would probably raise my gas miliage. I couldn't believe it !! I told him to just put my dam spark plug back in, and just do what I came in for, and NO MORE !
I learned my lesson,....AGAIN !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/14/12 at 05:42:27

I'll check the spacers when I get home. I don't think the tire came off though. Can't imagine why....... All I know is that the motor came out of the frame, so the belt was at least removed from the front sprocket. So, they would have had to move the tire to get the belt initially off.

Can someone measure the spacing between the tire and belt on your bike so I can see what I should be shooting for?

And yeah, I won't let another mechanic touch my bike until I get some great recommendations from close friends.. For as long as they took to do the job, with all the crap I had to put up with, for the price they robbed me with, and for the broken bike I picked up, I would have just did the job my darn self.  Angry

You live, you learn.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 03/14/12 at 10:53:33

Routy wrote on 03/14/12 at 05:09:13:
Shops !@#$%^&*()
I usually NEVER go to shops, but it was cold, so
a couple days ago I took my Jeep in for LOF, thats all, and thats what was on the order, and thats what I signed for.
Next thing I knew, the guy has one of my spark plugs out.....telling me how its not real bad but new ones would probably raise my gas miliage. I couldn't believe it !! I told him to just put my dam spark plug back in, and just do what I came in for, and NO MORE !
I learned my lesson,....AGAIN !

Id go pull that plug, or TRY, if its in like its holding the head on the block, Id take it back & make him pull it,,morons,, danged MORE RONS,,I wouldnt be surprised if he didnt crank that thing in,, I use anti seize on mine,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 03/14/12 at 10:58:14

x1karr0usx wrote on 03/14/12 at 05:42:27:
I'll check the spacers when I get home. I don't think the tire came off though. Can't imagine why....... All I know is that the motor came out of the frame, so the belt was at least removed from the front sprocket. So, they would have had to move the tire to get the belt initially off.

Can someone measure the spacing between the tire and belt on your bike so I can see what I should be shooting for?

And yeah, I won't let another mechanic touch my bike until I get some great recommendations from close friends.. For as long as they took to do the job, with all the crap I had to put up with, for the price they robbed me with, and for the broken bike I picked up, I would have just did the job my darn self.  Angry

You live, you learn.

Yes, they pulled the tire to get the belt off, & the pulled the front pulley & IF they didnt torque it right, itll eat itself later, Go make them fix it & dont leave the bike where you cant watch, if they balk at you being "in the service area for insurance re3asons, offer to sign a waiver, but the results of their work have been less than confidence inspiring & you want to watch, & if that doesnt suit them, you can take it somewhere else & let them pay the bill,. They havent earned the right to touch it unsupervised & youve already paid for it to be done,

Is this the same bike with the busted clutch cable mount pillar on the case? Ohhh, yea, I remember, yes it is,, Id sue them for complete repair. That clutch is DANGEROUS, not inconvenient, not less than attractive, its Dangerous,.JB weld, going thru hot/cold cycles, wont hold up. It IS gonna break, thats a patch, not a repair,

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 03/14/12 at 12:46:29

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------

5/16"-3/8" max tween the belt and my nearly new stock-size Dunlop tire

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/14/12 at 14:44:35

Routy wrote on 03/14/12 at 12:46:29:
5/16"-3/8" max tween the belt and my nearly new stock-size Dunlop tire

Okay, I'm about 1/8" off the tire. I just noticed the tire size is 150/80-15, so I'm a nudge wider than stock. But, the alignment is good, front pulley looks correct, and rear spacing looks correct. Haven't had a chance to check the pressure yet, so I'm hoping that's all it needs. Didn't realize the guy I bought it from through on a 150 tire. Looks nice... Hopefully that isnt the problem though. Haven't run into this issue since I've had the bike, so I've got my fingers crossed on the tire pressure.

Would a chain conversion give me a little more wiggle room, or would it generally run along the same distance along the tire?

:'(

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 02:33:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drive Belt Rubbing Tire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.