Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Changed oil & filter in car, oil P. is screwy (Read 128 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Changed oil & filter in car, oil P. is screwy
03/11/12 at 11:01:33

I just changed the oil (Mobil 1) and filter (Purolator PL12222) on my 2009 1LT.

Up until now (36000mi) the oil pressure guage showed 35 at idle, and 38-40 at any rpm above idle including hi rpm (5,000 or more).

Now, after this oil and filter change, the oil pressure is:
-- 40 at idle
-- 50 at 2,500
-- 60 at 3,000
-- 75 at 4,000

No leaks.

All temps are normal.

What changed?

Is there a concern here?  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Changed oil & filter in car, oil P. is screwy
Reply #1 - 03/11/12 at 11:04:29

the stock oil filter probably had a pressure bypass in it.

the pure oil later filter might not have that and maybe a 8 micron filter too.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 03/11/12 at 11:21:47

verslagen1 wrote on 03/11/12 at 11:04:29:
the stock oil filter probably had a pressure bypass in it.

the pure oil later filter might not have that and maybe a 8 micron filter too.

This is the third oil change. On the second oil change I also used the Purolator oil filter.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #3 - 03/11/12 at 11:41:27

Don't all car filters have a bypass valve, for when they load up and can't pass oil through the media as fast?  I am guessing the new valve is defective or stuck.  A near-doubling of your oil pressure when your'e on the gas seems to indicate just that. What is a 1LT, a corvette motor? I'd definitely spend the 8 bucks to try a new filter, a cheap way to eliminate that as a possibility.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #4 - 03/11/12 at 12:24:06

Boule’tard wrote on 03/11/12 at 11:41:27:
Don't all car filters have a bypass valve, for when they load up and can't pass oil through the media as fast?  I am guessing the new valve is defective or stuck.  A near-doubling of your oil pressure when your'e on the gas seems to indicate just that. What is a 1LT, a corvette motor? I'd definitely spend the 8 bucks to try a new filter, a cheap way to eliminate that as a possibility.

I have that same suspicion, b'tard.  Yes, it is a 2009 Vette.  I already have the front tires on ramps.  Methinks I'll just get another filter and replace the new one I just put on to see if it changes anything.  It'll be messy, but cost only a few bucks, eh?

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #5 - 03/11/12 at 12:36:05

Good man, way to take care of your stuff.  Smiley  They might give you store credit if you can show the filter was defective and you can get a Fram or something. (I know, Frams are overrated, but never had one fail me)..

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Changed oil & filter in car, oil P. is scr
Reply #6 - 03/11/12 at 13:58:15

Boule’tard wrote on 03/11/12 at 12:36:05:
Good man, way to take care of your stuff.  Smiley  They might give you store credit if you can show the filter was defective and you can get a Fram or something. (I know, Frams are overrated, but never had one fail me)..

From those studies done by guys who bought and cut up a slew of filters just to see what was inside and how they were made, the Frams don't rate very highly and the Purolators do.  That is why I seek out Purolator.  I always used to use Fram, but when they became part of Allied Signal /Honeywell, they seemed to have gone downhill somewhat.  Checkout this email, supposedly from an Allied Signal engineer: http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/fram1.txt

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #7 - 03/11/12 at 14:55:43

Yikes! Thanks for the heads up.  I think I will switch to something else at the next oil change. Seems like the local Autozone also offers Bosch filters and has a big ol' phone book where you can look up which filters are equivalent to PHxxxx Frams.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 03/11/12 at 17:18:20

On our light trucks at work we run AC Delco. On our heavy truck hydraulic tanks we run Baldwin. On the engines we run Caterpillar or Mercedes filters.

I run Fram on my personal pickups if Wal-mart is out of or has stopped stocking Super Tech (their brand) filters. Can't see putting Motorcraft or Mopar filters on farm trucks or my disposable mini truck (4 cylinder Ranger, hate it).

You probably got a bad filter. It happens. Regardless of whose name and color are on the canister.

Oh, Wal-mart around here carries Bosch filters now.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #9 - 03/11/12 at 18:00:02

WD wrote on 03/11/12 at 17:18:20:
On our light trucks at work we run AC Delco. On our heavy truck hydraulic tanks we run Baldwin. On the engines we run Caterpillar or Mercedes filters.

I run Fram on my personal pickups if Wal-mart is out of or has stopped stocking Super Tech (their brand) filters. Can't see putting Motorcraft or Mopar filters on farm trucks or my disposable mini truck (4 cylinder Ranger, hate it).

You probably got a bad filter. It happens. Regardless of whose name and color are on the canister.

Oh, Wal-mart around here carries Bosch filters now.

Wow,.. that's quite a spread of brands!

The thing that makes me curious about this is why the oil system would have the oil pressure vary almost directly with RPM.  Is that what would happen if it were the filter and it was not flowing any oil at all,.. or something came apart inside it and plugged it?

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #10 - 03/11/12 at 18:06:21

ouch, I'm disillusioned about Fram filters. I just returned 2 that I bought.

« Last Edit: 03/12/12 at 12:29:05 by rl153 »  
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #11 - 03/11/12 at 18:15:02

know wht hemoroids and corvetts have in common??

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #12 - 03/11/12 at 19:22:09

I agree with a lot of what is said, but as I near 59 yrs I notice things have changed...most too slow to notice. Parts guys hate Frams in my little town. Some mechanics say they have seen them blow off; especially in high perf settings. I think Purolator made the first oil filters? which doesen't mean anything, but WIX and Purolator are still spoken of highly. I use AC Delco and Carquest-WIX but a Parts Plus dealer who sells Delco says they are farmed out and not a lot better anymore. Folks, make your corner of this planet a little better every day. If you manufacture, sell, build, or work as a professional, do your best and know that I appreciate it.  Smiley  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #13 - 03/11/12 at 19:49:06

Boofer wrote on 03/11/12 at 19:22:09:
I agree with a lot of what is said, but as I near 59 yrs I notice things have changed...most too slow to notice. Parts guys hate Frams in my little town. Some mechanics say they have seen them blow off; especially in high perf settings. I think Purolator made the first oil filters? which doesen't mean anything, but WIX and Purolator are still spoken of highly. I use AC Delco and Carquest-WIX but a Parts Plus dealer who sells Delco says they are farmed out and not a lot better anymore. Folks, make your corner of this planet a little better every day. If you manufacture, sell, build, or work as a professional, do your best and know that I appreciate it.  Smiley  

You might be interested in this site: http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/reference.html

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #14 - 03/11/12 at 21:46:39

Thanks, Gyro. About 25 yr ago I was selling Goodrich XLM tires like crazy. All my friends had them and I was selling them cheap by ordering 500 or so at a time. All at once they started bringing them back for balance problems after a year of selling with almost no problems. After cornering my salesman several times, he said just adjust them. I finally wised up one day and noticed they were being made at a new plant in Mexico. This was before we were all used to Chinese/Mexican goods. The problem was straightened out, but I always say now it just depends on luck sometimes whether you get a good product or one that is being tested or moved to another plant/shift/country/redesigned.  Sad

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 13:33:21

General CategoryThe Cafe › Changed oil & filter in car, oil P. is screwy

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.