Send Topic Print
Click click click (Read 316 times)
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Click click click
03/10/12 at 13:10:46

Hey fellas. I've got a 2001 (nearly stock) Savage just about to roll over to 13,000 miles.

I was just heading to a Suzuki dealership about 30miles away to get a clutch side cover gasket cut. About 1/4 away from home my bike died out (I've been having idling issues when coming to a stop).

As I was rolling to a stop with the motor off I could hear a clicking and feel it in my seat. I pulled off the side of the road. As I rolled the bike forward or backward I could feel and hear that clicking with every inch I rolled the bike. Everything felt and sounded fine when I started my journey 1/4 mile earlier.

Rather than fire the bike back up I pushed it the 1/4 back home. The faster I pushed the quicker the clicking goes. It clicks in N and in gear with the clutch pulled in.

When I got back home I couldn't hear the clicking due to living very near a major highway I-75. But when sitting on the bike I could still feel it when rocking the bike back or forth.

Did my cam chain tensioner just let loose? When my GF gets home from work I'll take her car and go buy that gasket. Then i'll open up the clutch side cover and have a look in there tomorrow.

I meant to take off the clutch cover when I changed my oil at 10,000 miles and have a look at the tensioner. No one had a gasket in stock locally so I did not open her up. I had been hearing some ticking. The ticking wasn't as noticeable when I had my valves adjusted 1,500miles ago. A few hundred miles ago the ticking got louder again.

I'm on vacation this week and plan on using the time to work on my bike, which is my only vehicle. I didn't plan on this happening, of course.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Click click click
Reply #1 - 03/10/12 at 13:21:19

well, it ain't the tensioner or cam chain, as the engine isn't rotating when you push it in neutral
check the front sprocket on the shaft.  Jack it up and spin the rear wheel to see if you can isolate where the click is at.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 03/10/12 at 13:25:09

youzguyz wrote on 03/10/12 at 13:21:19:
well, it ain't the tensioner or cam chain, as the engine isn't rotating when you push it in neutral
check the front sprocket on the shaft.  Jack it up and spin the rear wheel to see if you can isolate where the click is at.  

+1

WWW   IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #3 - 03/10/12 at 13:28:34

Ah, yeah, duh.

Thanks.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 03/10/12 at 13:49:24

Yeah.  Probably something simple.  A few years ago I noticed a whining coming somewhere near the rear tire when the bike was moving.  I pulled into a parking lot and did a visual inspection and found that my license plate's thin aluminum backplate (which also has an extension at the bottom past the license plate for the state inspection sticker) had gotten bent such that it contacted the tire when I sat on the bike.  Once the bike began to move forward the plate bent underneath the fender and my rear tire proceeded to rub my inspection sticker away.  I bent it back and continued my ride.  I later reinforced it and had to get the bike reinspected for a new sticker.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 03/10/12 at 14:58:30

Come on,.....some little clicking problem coming from the rear area doesn't make the motor die. Youz can do better than that ! Roll Eyes

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 03/10/12 at 15:00:49

Routy wrote on 03/10/12 at 14:58:30:
Come on,.....some little clicking problem coming from the rear area doesn't make the motor die. Youz can do better than that ! Roll Eyes

I guess I missed where the motor died.  I thought he just noticed it when the engine wasn't running.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #7 - 03/10/12 at 15:12:18

Regulator?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #8 - 03/10/12 at 15:28:03

Routy wrote on 03/10/12 at 14:58:30:

I'm not that worried about the motor dying out, I know why that happened. I'm wondering what this new clicking is. I knew that the motor shouldn't be turning over when in N and that shouldn't be the Tensioner making noise, but I've had Tenisoner Paranoia for a while now and that lead to me asking a foolish question in my first post.

I know the ticking didn't make the motor die. That is a separate and unrelated event, that has been existent the past couple weeks leading up to today.

When I come to a stop the idle RPM will drop down about 200-400RPM. I have to give it gas to keep it from dropping too low and cutting out. After the bike sits there for several seconds the RPMS will go back up. I've had to turn the idle screw up way too high too keep the idle from dropping too low at a stop.
Even after riding for 30minutes (more than fully warmed up) the idle will still roller coaster at a stop.
It's not a starvation issue. This is different from what was happening when I replaced my stock petcock and went Raptor around 6,000 miles ago.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 03/10/12 at 15:28:09

Loose front drive pulley... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #10 - 03/10/12 at 15:36:38

Serowbot wrote on 03/10/12 at 15:28:09:
Loose front drive pulley... Huh...

You might be on to something. I  previously read about others hearing an odd whine while riding, and that most of the time they needed to tighten up the pulley and that cured the whine. I've heard that whine on and off recently.

The clicking did seem to time with the belt moving around the pully, and roughly the same location. Tomorrow I'll build myself the DIY bike lift/stand and get the rear tire spinning. That should help me narrow down where the sound is coming from.

With cars I was never as nervous or as paranoid as I am with this bike. It's much more simple, and yet I feel out of my element.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 03/10/12 at 16:01:31

That was probably me... Huh...
Not just loose,.. but even under-torqued can make noise.

I fought that bugger for nearly a year,... torqueing  it up, and having the noise come back every thousand miles or so...
Finally got a brand new crimp washer for it, torqued it down to about 120ftlbs (or,.. all I got), and it's been behaving. (knock wood)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #12 - 03/10/12 at 16:22:58

Maybe if you dig that little rock out of that groove in the front pulley ?? Roll Eyes

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Cavie

My wife made me do
it

Port charlotte Fl
Reply #13 - 03/10/12 at 17:12:51

This is a little freaky. I heard the wine today for the first time after removing the PO's loud what ever muffler and installing a Dyna with a baffel. I thought it was from the rear also. So your telling me it's from the front Pully? Possibly loose? I'll have a look tomorrow

'05 Boulavard S40
'03 Volusia Intruder
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 03/10/12 at 18:04:44

youzguyz wrote on 03/10/12 at 13:21:19:

I still like this advice since it involves investigation.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:35:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Click click click

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.