Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Reassembling after Carb Cleaning (Read 168 times)
drd1135
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Southwest Virginia
Reassembling after Carb Cleaning
03/10/12 at 07:24:40

I put my carb back in my 2003  Savage.  Since the battery box and battery are so hard to get in and out I was trying to start it using jumper cables  attached to the battery leads.  The starter sounded weak.  Is there just not enough juice using the cables?

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: Reassembling after Carb Cleaning
Reply #1 - 03/10/12 at 07:32:24

I am pretty sure the battery has to be in the circuit for the bike to start.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 03/10/12 at 07:51:32

It's been done before.

maybe you don't have good contact?

set the battery in there w/out the box.

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 03/10/12 at 22:17:50

drd1135 wrote on 03/10/12 at 07:24:40:
I put my carb back in my 2003  Savage.  Since the battery box and battery are so hard to get in and out I was trying to start it using jumper cables  attached to the battery leads.  The starter sounded weak.  Is there just not enough juice using the cables?

Depends on the jumper cables. Most are just that,.....jumpers, 12 ga wire,.....made to have a battery in the circuit,.....not big enuff to spin the thumper, let alone have enuff reserve voltage to fire the ignition. The longer length takes its toll very quickly when working w/ the low voltage of 12 volts. Therefore if the std battery cables are 8-10 ga, the much longer jumper cables would have to be #2 - #4 ga to be equivelent.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
drd1135
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Southwest Virginia
Reply #4 - 03/11/12 at 13:41:17

It turns over, but it's struggling and sounds like it's going slowly.  I have another battery from a Road King which is more heavy duty.  Can I use this one.  It's the same voltage but more amps, clearly.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 03/11/12 at 20:14:54

Having more amps available hurts nothing, too few isnt healthy for the starter motor. Or so I hear,, I sure dont know why.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 03/13/12 at 07:31:13

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/11/12 at 20:14:54:
Having more amps available hurts nothing, too few isnt healthy for the starter motor. Or so I hear,, I sure dont know why.,

If a battery is too small......or just too old, the voltage under load drops instantly. And the fact is,.....when voltage goes down, amps go up, and hi amps causes stuff to heat up quickly. So like you said, a higher amperage battery is always better, because the voltage will stay higher, causing the needed amperage to stay lower, causing less heat buildup in the starter.
We remember the old 6v starting,......they drawed twice the amperage of the 12v, and they heated up fast too.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 03/13/12 at 09:16:20

when voltage goes down, amps go up, and hi amps causes stuff to heat up

Well SunuvvaGUNN!   Yea,, thats true allrite, so, if I run a long skinny extension cord to a, saaay,, circular saw, & theres a voltage drop, somehow the electric motor can suck more amps thru than if the V had stayed high? Im still not quite getting it, but that V down = amps up thing is sure getting me closer., I got 9 months of electronics in the airforce,,so, I know what you are saying is correct, Im just not sure how that works with a low V battery,, its sick, can it push that current thru? Im not sure yet,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 03/13/12 at 10:21:43

Routy wrote on 03/13/12 at 07:31:13:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/11/12 at 20:14:54:

If a battery is too small......or just too old, the voltage under load drops instantly. And the fact is,.....when voltage goes down, amps go up, and hi amps causes stuff to heat up quickly. So like you said, a higher amperage battery is always better, because the voltage will stay higher, causing the needed amperage to stay lower, causing less heat buildup in the starter.
We remember the old 6v starting,......they drawed twice the amperage of the 12v, and they heated up fast too.

Routy, what you said makes no sense.
You can't compare a 12v system with a 6v.
V=IR and P=IV
Yes a 6v system will draw twice the amperage of a 12v... it's designed that way.
put a 6v battery in a 12v system and you get half the amps of the 12v battery because R remains the same.

Why is low v bad for a starter?
It's hard on the brushes, lower amps on a slow turning motor overheats the brushes.

WWW   IP Logged
ratz

Wait.......what??

Alabama Gulf Coast
Reply #9 - 03/13/12 at 10:27:24

Ok,power (In watts) equals current(in amps) times voltage.
The starter motor consumes a certain amount of power to operate.
Lets say the starter uses 100 watts.(Actually probably more than that,but this is an example.)
12 volts X 8.33 amps =100 watts
Now if the voltage drops...
10 volts X 10 amps = 100 watts
The starter still wants to consume 100 watts,so voltage down = amps up.
Then a weak battery can't provide any more current.Once the starter motor is turning below it's rated speed it's current needs rise and you get heat.
On the long run of wire thing,the longer the run and the thinner the wire,the higher the resistance of the wire itself is. The cord then consume some of the power and releases it as heat,instead of passing it to it's destination.
There are some other factors,but I'm just trying to hit the basics.
(Sorry,looks like vers got it in while I was typing!)

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #10 - 03/14/12 at 05:38:42

Quote:
Why is low v bad for a starter?
--------------------------------------------------
Versal,
If you (of all people here) don't know, I don't think I can tell you.

At least JOG knows how it works,...........but he cheated,...took a training course ! Wink

Rich
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 08:32:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Reassembling after Carb Cleaning

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.