audioguy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Memphis, TN
Warm weather leather
03/09/12 at 14:31:23

All Knowing Group -
Anticipating the hot Memphis summer and was wondering if any of you have a favorite leather jacket that works well in extreme heat and humidity.  Any thoughts on this:
http://leatherup.com/p/Mens-Motorcycle-Jackets/Bandit-Buffalo-Leather-Cruiser...

I like some extra protection when riding in the city, but man, does it get hot here so thinking vents would help a little.

Thanks.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Warm weather leather
Reply #1 - 03/09/12 at 15:01:36

If you're talking extreme heat... nothings better than a mesh jacket for duration riding.

A vented jacket is ok only for a short while.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 03/09/12 at 15:10:38

I always check out http://www.motorcyclegear.com/ before buying elsewhere.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
kuri77

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rancho Santa Margarita, Ca
Reply #3 - 03/09/12 at 17:12:04

Depends on whether you have a windshield or not.  My Savage has one and my mesh jacket doesn't work that well with it.  What works better is sleeve vents.  Best jacket I ever had was a leather First Gear with a zippered vent.  Old style with no armor so got a textile.

When I got my textile jacket it had a zippered cuff but on top so didn't work well on my bike.  Just paid $30 a zipper to have a lady put them into my jacket on the sides. The one on the left is hers.
 When open they scoop up the air and it goes all the way up the sleeve and across my shoulders.  Just used it today on a 100 mile ride in 80 degree weather and it worked great.
The only negative is that the part she put in isn't waterproof but I put on a rain suit for anything more than a drizzle.

Big Sur
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 03/09/12 at 18:41:10

Denim with a leather vest over it. If you ride the loop around the city, at all, no amount of leather will save you. I work down on Winchester off Getwell, 36 miles from the house to the shop. No way in hell I'd even consider riding a Savage on that trip. Bad roads, worse drivers and a bike that can't get out of its own way on most days? Even my mini truck isn't safe on 240.

Out here in the sticks (Tipton Shelby line), most of the time you see ATGATT, except for those of us who've been riding for decades. Jeans and a t-shirt (maybe).

You make 4 I know of around here, Memphis, Millington, Arlington and Rosemark.

Swing by sometime, I'm out on Deadfall right where it crosses into Tipton county. Can't miss it, 170+ year old plantation with a Savage, a teal 800 Intruder lowrider and a big green Chevy C60 utility bucket truck in the front yard. Between the 4 of us who live here there is over a century of combined saddle time.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #5 - 03/09/12 at 18:50:42

I don't own any leather, but I like my Phoenix V mesh jacket from Joe Rocket. It's good in chilly weather with the liner. Last summer the weather was so hot I made a few rides in a yellow hi viz tee. I gave about $120 for the jacket. Just sayin'.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 03/09/12 at 22:55:50

I'm in Texas and I wear mesh in the heat, though I usually have the windshield removed during hot weather too.  I've never tried perforated leather but I've known a couple of guys who love it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #7 - 03/10/12 at 08:36:58

I have a perforated Joe Rocket Blaster 4.0 leather jacket that I bought back in December. The warmest it has been so far while I was out was maybe 85. I felt comfortable on my 45minute commute. The real test will be when it gets to 95 and %100 humidity here in Florida.

I can't make a good recommendation because I haven't experienced a summer with this jacket yet.

I probably look odd while riding around on my Savage wearing a sport bike type ofjacket and a sport bike type of helmet.
But my safety and visibility are more important to me than how I look to other people.

IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/10/12 at 21:52:45

Fish wrote on 03/10/12 at 08:36:58:
I have a perforated Joe Rocket Blaster 4.0 leather jacket that I bought back in December. The warmest it has been so far while I was out was maybe 85. I felt comfortable on my 45minute commute. The real test will be when it gets to 95 and %100 humidity here in Florida.

I can't make a good recommendation because I haven't experienced a summer with this jacket yet.

http://www.upnorthsports.com/Sites/upnorth/Image/catimages/JoeRocketBlaster40...
http://www.hjc-helmets.com/merchant2/graphics/00000001/SUL568911-ATT.jpg

I probably look odd while riding around on my Savage wearing a sport bike type ofjacket and a sport bike type of helmet.
But my safety and visibility are more important to me than how I look to other people.

Odd? Heck No! That is a nice jacket and Helmet combo. You would look suave riding a tricycle wearin' that oufit.

I have a peforated leather as well, it is very cool. I don't think anything short of a full-blown mesh will do in 90+ degrees.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 03/11/12 at 17:07:53

I remember from living here 99-01 that at the height of Memphis heat, park your air-cooled bike. 115* and 100% humidity isn't great riding conditions. Expect to go through a bit of extra oil, check your battery for electrolyte weekly unless you have a fully sealed battery, expect your tires to fail (stock IRC are junk, heat check like you won't believe)...

If you just have to ride in late July or early August, and want to wear full gear, buy armored textile. Leathers here are for winter, although if they stay true to this year you'd only need full leathers for a couple weeks worth of low temps.

Oh, carry a 4x4 piece of 1/2" plywood with you for summer parking. Put it under your kickstand or you'll find your bike laying on its side.  Our local low-grade (not enough crushed rock) asphalt will suck down a kickstand pretty quick.

And carry full coverage insurance on your bike. If you are in the city, you'll need it (doesn't matter what the bike is, it will get jacked if you give the "citiots" half a chance).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #10 - 03/11/12 at 21:52:37

After reading this post I picked up Cycle World April 2012 and saw an evaluation of The "Veskimo" Personal Cooling System. $318-399 plus add ons like hardwiring and rechargeable batteries. Not for me but some may want to check on it. Just a heads up.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 03/12/12 at 06:47:22

I also use an evaporative cooling vest similar to this one under my mesh jacket when it's very hot.  It definitely works, though not quite as well when ambient humidity is extremely high.  Even then, as long as you have airflow it works.

Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #12 - 03/15/12 at 11:35:02

I have a jacket from Leatherup. It has no armor...I originally got one with armor but the fit was terrible. The Buffalo leather is heavier than the regular leather and would be hot no matter where you are. The vents are a must tho'

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
dinsdale

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #13 - 03/15/12 at 14:58:03

I wear shirts like Underarmour in the heat. The wicking and fast drying help cool you when you are moving. Still hot as hell at stops.
Worth it to me though .

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 13:32:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › Warm weather leather

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.