Send Topic Print
Mechanic Liability (Read 816 times)
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Re: Mechanic Liability
Reply #45 - 03/14/12 at 18:59:08

x1karr0usx, where are you from? See if there's any motorcycle specific law firms in your town.. for example here in VA we have www.motorcyclelawgroup.com

IP Logged
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #46 - 03/15/12 at 06:19:07

Northeast/Central Pennsylvania near Williamsport, PA. I really want to know how Suzuki will handle this issue, but I am considering bringing a lawyer into this.

And just the head and crankcase replacement alone would get it considered "totalled". I got a buyer lined up for $3500, but I can imagine that he will use all of the dealership's screw ups as leverage points to get a good deal. I ain't in the business of selling mechanically questionable motorcycles anyways, so hopefully Suzuki comes through on this.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #47 - 03/15/12 at 06:31:08

Fer sher get a lawyer involved.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #48 - 03/15/12 at 07:23:46

In Ohio...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-1996-SUZUKI-LS650-LS-650-SAVAGE-ENGINE-MOTOR-5029-...

I'd try to make the dealership pay for the whole thing...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #49 - 03/15/12 at 08:32:58

Mind you I like JB weld and I use it, but I have had occasions where it cracked off in stressed locations, especially ones that go hot/cold all the time.   The resin degrades over time.  

Using it for the clutch cable holder is BUILT TO FAIL over time.

Since you have the bike back, please post pictures of the broken cooling fin and the botch job with the JB weld and the  other items you mentioned.

This thread may make it into the Tech Section as a "Why you don't let dealerships work on your bike  --  do it yourself instead" thread.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #50 - 03/15/12 at 09:05:26

lol i will post pics as soon as i get home today.

IP Logged
prsavage

atgatt

Nanaimo BC
Reply #51 - 03/15/12 at 10:14:27

I feel really fortunate to have a good relationship with my Suzuki dealer (especially since he's the only bike-primary dealership of any brand in my region)  I had him replace both tires on my Intruder and the following season I had a definite leak in the front tire.  I took the bike to a tire shop and they found the cause was a (brand new) cotter pin was somehow inside my rim between it and the tire and wore a hole in the tube.  Long story short the dealer went good for the repair at the tire shop and gave me a $100 in store parts credit.  There are some good ones out there.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #52 - 03/15/12 at 12:02:18

All the Dealers in my area are good and charge reasonable prices.Remember you can wash your car cheaper than having it done.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #53 - 03/15/12 at 12:08:54

Yeah, this kind of crap spooks me and just reinforces my desire to do as much of my own maintenance as possible.  I did have my tires put on at a local dealership (I bought the tubes from them) and they did a good job on mine.  I was talking with another fellow who'd just had his tires done and they left the rubber liner out of one of his rims when they reassembled and the spokes chewed his tube in less than a couple of miles.  He said they apologized and "made it right".  I don't know if they just fixed the issue or went above and beyond but he seemed satisfied.  I still want to learn how to do most of it myself if at all possible.  I trust myself to care about the outcome and you guys have enough combined knowledge and experience to put me on the right track if I'm astute enough to ask the right questions.  Then it's all a matter of parts, time, tools and patience.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #54 - 03/15/12 at 15:12:09

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #55 - 03/16/12 at 13:13:28

bill67 wrote on 03/15/12 at 12:02:18:
All the Dealers in my area are good and charge reasonable prices.Remember you can wash your car cheaper than having it done.

Remember, Bill does not believe in routine maintenance.  It has been 29 years by his own reconning since he last adjusted the valves on a motorcycle.

He tends to sell off a bike once it begins "to act funny".

Also, Bill really thinks $13 a quart oil is sensible spending, so take his advice on these maintenance type things with a little bitty grain of salt.

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #56 - 03/16/12 at 13:45:21

Bill sounded pretty tongue-in-cheek on that one.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #57 - 03/16/12 at 15:34:30

greenmonster wrote on 03/16/12 at 13:45:21:
Bill sounded pretty tongue-in-cheek on that one.

I thought so too.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #58 - 03/16/12 at 17:23:18

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 03/16/12 at 13:13:28:
bill67 wrote on 03/15/12 at 12:02:18:

Remember, Bill does not believe in routine maintenance.  It has been 29 years by his own reconning since he last adjusted the valves on a motorcycle.

He tends to sell off a bike once it begins "to act funny".

Also, Bill really thinks $13 a quart oil is sensible spending, so take his advice on these maintenance type things with a little bitty grain of salt.

Grin

Whats it like when a bike acts funny,I never had one that did.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #59 - 03/17/12 at 20:14:53

Everything I buy has been "acting funny". That's how I get a good price.  Wink

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 13:29:58

General CategoryThe Cafe › Mechanic Liability

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.