Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Mechanic Liability (Read 816 times)
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mechanic Liability
03/08/12 at 13:07:46

I am so darn pissed off with the Suzuki stealership that is working on my Savage! I took it there to get the head cap switched out. I was too busy to do it myself, and the quote was cheap. Well, they then said I needed the head gasket replaced, so I took their word for it and had them switch it out. At each phase of this, I had to wait a week for the new parts to come in. After a good amount of time, they were putting the motor back together and ripped the base gasket where the head meets the crankcase. So they ordered a new one.... Tick tock.. Another week passes and I just gave them a call today. They were putting the motor back on the frame and broke off the piece off the crankcase that holds the clutch and speedo cables!! By god I was furious! So I left work early to see what the hell is going on. Looks like they got it JB Welded back on..

Aside from giving me an outlet to blow some steam so I don't catch their garage on fire, I was curious if these "reputable" dealerships have any liability against their work.. Can I make lemonade out of this craptastic situation?

I really should've read through my "notes to self" and just did the work my darn self!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Mechanic Liability
Reply #1 - 03/08/12 at 13:19:22

How the hell do you rip a gasket sandwitched between 2 parts.
Naw, the idiots broke it loose when they did the head gasket and didn't notice.  Or did notice but needed another week to put it back together.

And JB weld that support back on?  No, I wouldn't take that.  Weld it.

WWW   IP Logged
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/08/12 at 13:25:42

Well, I checked and they have current certifications and are adults. From the phone, sounded like they hired high school kids!

They rips the base gasket while replacing it... Wow. It took so darn long because they didn't rush ship anything that they needed to replace. If I broke something on the job, I surely wouldn't take my sweet time getting it fixed again!

They took it to another garage to weld it, but they wouldn't (or couldn't) do it. This is what I was getting at with the liability deal.. If I don't want them JB Welding the crap together, can I make them eat the cost and order that side of the crankcase? I mean, it's not a separate part that broke off.. Replace what you broke?  Shocked

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 03/08/12 at 15:14:48

x1karr0usx wrote on 03/08/12 at 13:25:42:
... can I make them eat the cost and order that side of the crankcase? I mean, it's not a separate part that broke off.. Replace what you broke?  Shocked

I'd sure try... That ain't right, and there's no reason for it.  Dozens of us have pulled and installed engines here, and I never heard of anybody doin' that...
That sucks!...  They sucks!...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/08/12 at 15:32:45

Granted, I shook the guy's hand, and BAM he only had one finger on his right hand... Explains some things I guess.  Lips Sealed

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 03/08/12 at 16:10:36

x1karr0usx wrote on 03/08/12 at 15:32:45:
Granted, I shook the guy's hand, and BAM he only had one finger on his right hand... Explains some things I guess.  Lips Sealed

DOH!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 03/08/12 at 16:19:26

Another shop butchered savage.,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 03/08/12 at 16:26:45

They already proved they can't do nothin right, and you want them to split the cases ?? !! I don't know what I would do,.....maybe cry ?? I feel for you Embarrassed

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 03/08/12 at 18:59:12

It is sad, but this is a repeated scenario here on the list -- inept mechanics.

"Hey, it's just a big single -- Mikey works on all the little 75s and 125s and 250 singles that the kids bring in"

LET MIKEY DO IT  .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #9 - 03/08/12 at 18:59:57

The mechanic that "re-jetted" my bike didn't even tighten down the header bolts (they were finger loose) and he didn't attach the exhaust support.. I had to drive up and get it and put it on myself.. he wasn't at a dealer ship, at a "custom cycles shop".. but he was missing about 99 teeth.... always meet your mechanic in person before hand I guess..

IP Logged
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/09/12 at 03:51:08

no no no!!! i wouldn't let them do the work lol.. i honestly don't know what i can hold against the darn place if they show me a bill for $$$ labor.

"either i aint paying your labor, or youre buying a new crankcase."

i know shops and mechanics are covered legally, but how is the customer covered?

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #11 - 03/09/12 at 05:32:15

I had a situation a few years back. Had the clutch done at the dealer. Of course, the "kid" worked on it. No new gasket on side cover. Oil pump drive gear was in backwards. Oil filter was in backwards. Drove 60 miles...blew head. Towed to different dealer. They haggle. Gets sent back to the original dealer. New (used) head. Same kid works on it. Breaks head bolt. They had my bike almost the entire summer that year. Never been the same since.

Point is, I told them straight up, that I was not paying a single penny for anything after the clutch job. And I didn't. They covered the cost of everything, and payed the other dealer for their time and parts. They screwed it up, they pay whatever the cost is to fix it. Period. It was always that way at every garage I've ever worked in. And I think he knew even a court of law would have agreed with me. He wasn't happy about it, but he never squawked once.

Same should be in your case. They broke it, they should replace it. I would not settle for a JB Weld repair either. But I would insist that somebody with a brain do the rest of the work.  Or have it done at a more reputable shop, and send them the bill.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #12 - 03/09/12 at 06:44:31

Contact Suzuki North America and explain what happened. The Dealership is authorized by Suzuki to sell and sevice their bikes. If they are inept then Suzuki should know.
Personally, I'd have them order a new bottom end for no charge and then agree to pay for the labor to install it.
Good luck, it's gonna be an uphill battle...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 03/09/12 at 07:19:30

x1karr0usx wrote on 03/08/12 at 15:32:45:

I wouldn't have shook it, you know where that finger has been seeing the work on your bike..... Grin

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 03/09/12 at 07:34:14

I would write down everything I could remember about this whole ordeal, take anything from them you have, anything that shows work done/damage done, everything you can document & go sit down with the owner of the shop. I wouldnt tell him I was considering suing or anything, your course of action is not yet determined, all you are wanting to know is how is he gonna make this mess right. NO matter the outcome of that meeting, I wouldnt tell him anything about what you plan on doing. Let him wonder, & do NOT get angry, stay straight business, even if the guy is an ass. Dont tell him he isnt getting paid, dont tell him hes gettin sued, stay calm, present yourself from the authoritative position of a man, yea he owns his own business, but hes just a man, dont be intimidated & dont try to intimidate,

YOu really cant be expected to pay for someone to vandalize your bike. You are being put upon by all this mess in your life + you dont get to ride.,IMO, they need to repair your bike completely at no cost to you. Honestly, if you did that to someone could you hand them an invoice? Be about like going to a restaurant with a friend & during the meal the friend keels over from food poisoning & they still want you to pay for your food after the ambulance hauls him off.. NOOO, they pay for the ambulance & the hospital & they can shove that bill for the food.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 13:40:23

General CategoryThe Cafe › Mechanic Liability

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.