Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
handlebar dash with ignition switch (Read 198 times)
kuri77

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rancho Santa Margarita, Ca
handlebar dash with ignition switch
03/08/12 at 08:38:11

The first thing I wanted to change on this bike was the location of the ignition switch.  
Got a piece of alum plate and cut it out.  Drilled, filed, beltsanded and then polished.  Used a chrome spacer between switch and dash.  
Extended wires with posilocks and put on some wrap.  Too short now but that was all I had.

Big Sur
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Re: handlebar dash with ignition switch
Reply #1 - 03/08/12 at 11:32:46

that's pretty cool. is the plate just sandwiched between the riser clamps or is it drilled there so the clamp bolts go through it?

how far does the ignition stick out? far enough that it would hit the triple tree if you didn't have the taller risers?

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/08/12 at 13:15:33

Wow man! Great job! Very clean..

IP Logged
kuri77

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/08/12 at 13:56:27

Thanks guys.  I didn't want the plate flexible so used 1/8 inch aluminum but had to file the part I drilled for the riser bolts to about 1/16th so it would fit in the gap.  If it were not filed the handlebars would still be loose even when bolts were tightened.  If you look at the bottom pic on right you can just see where it was filed thinner.
Spacepirate, not sure what you mean.  The risers are stock and nothing hits.  The way it's centered even with lower risers wouldn't be a problem I think.  If there is another angle you want to see in a pic let me know.

Big Sur
  IP Logged
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/08/12 at 14:10:35

Kuri doesn't have the bullhorn bars, so I think they came with the taller risers stock. I don't think our risers would work with this mod.

Go big or go home  Cheesy

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #5 - 03/08/12 at 15:11:40

kuri77 wrote on 03/08/12 at 13:56:27:
Thanks guys.  I didn't want the plate flexible so used 1/8 inch aluminum but had to file the part I drilled for the riser bolts to about 1/16th so it would fit in the gap.  If it were not filed the handlebars would still be loose even when bolts were tightened.  If you look at the bottom pic on right you can just see where it was filed thinner.
Spacepirate, not sure what you mean.  The risers are stock and nothing hits.  The way it's centered even with lower risers wouldn't be a problem I think.  If there is another angle you want to see in a pic let me know.

Yeah, I've got buckhorn bars instead of pullback (like you do) so my risers are only two or three inches from the triple, whereas yours are more like six. It was just kind of hard to tell clearances with those two pictures in my head.

Looks good though. Was the re-wiring complicated at all?

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
kuri77

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/08/12 at 20:32:15

Now I get your question.  The switch takes up 2 inches from key surface to bottom of plastic piece on the bottom.  Maybe a 1/2 inch more max for the wires to exit and make a hard left or right before going under tank.  
Wiring very easy.  I left the green connector and cut  between switch and connector.  There are four wires and I used corresponding colors for 3 of the 4.  Didn't have gray.  
Used posilocks which I have been using without problem for several years.  Unlike solder and crimps these are resusable and you can disconnect, cut off a piece of corroded wire, and reconnect.  Not that I've ever seen any corroded wires but then I use dialectic grease in them and all my connectors.  
First thing I did when I bought the bike was disconnect every single connector on the bike and load em up with dialectic grease.  That stuff works great.  Corroded wires fortunately are not one of my electrical problems.

Big Sur
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #7 - 03/09/12 at 03:14:13

Careful with that grease. Too much can short out things, and if it gets warm it will travel. I blew the output stage on a $2000 amplifier because of that stuff once. Sad

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
kuri77

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/09/12 at 09:22:35

Good point, thanks for the warning.

Big Sur
  IP Logged
Blvd1960
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SE CA Desert
Reply #9 - 03/09/12 at 17:27:03

Kuri, what's the black piece on the left side of the handlebar?

2008 S40 stock
Blvd1960   IP Logged
kuri77

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/09/12 at 19:40:33

From left to right there is the remote control for my ipod in my jacket, 12v plug for charging ipod on the fly or powering gps.  Last is the Ram ball mount for the gps.

Big Sur
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 14:25:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › handlebar dash with ignition switch

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.