Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How strong is the kickstand? (Read 209 times)
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
How strong is the kickstand?
03/07/12 at 19:19:03

(Yeah I know Arteacher is gonna call me paranoid)

So last night after a few too many beers (before I decided to be responsible and not do any carb work) I was jacking my bike up and realized it was leaning over onto the kickstand as I was lifting it... seems like its not sitting the same but nothing looks bent... wheel won't stay straight when it's on the kickstand anymore.. so I was just wondering if anyone knew the weight limit of the kickstand unit... and since all that stuffs attached to the main engine bolts I'd like to set my mind at ease  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: How strong is the kickstand?
Reply #1 - 03/07/12 at 19:36:30

I did bend the hell out of mine once when I sat it on the sidestand in the back of a pickup and strapped it in place for a 75 mile ride.  Bad judgment on my part.  That said, it is otherwise pretty stout.  Have you done anything else, like put longer shocks on it?  I know my 12.5” Progressives made mine lean A LOT.  I bolted a hockey puck to it and it works like a charm.  In fact, I never need to look for a crushed can to keep it from sinking into dirt or hot pavement.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #2 - 03/07/12 at 19:48:14

Nope, stock everything dealing with the frame..

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 03/07/12 at 20:24:08

Unless you've abnormally stressed it, I'd suspect loose sidestand mounting before the sidestand itself.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #4 - 03/07/12 at 20:52:39

Savage_Rob wrote on 03/07/12 at 20:24:08:
Unless you've abnormally stressed it, I'd suspect loose sidestand mounting before the sidestand itself.

you mean try tightening the sidestand bolts?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 03/07/12 at 21:50:48

Thats how I read it..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #6 - 03/08/12 at 04:25:10

Put a straight edge on it and you will see right away if it's bent.Also sit on it and bounce a bit- jacking it up may have "opened up" the shocks and fork springs.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #7 - 03/08/12 at 05:40:53

arteacher wrote on 03/08/12 at 04:25:10:
Put a straight edge on it and you will see right away if it's bent.Also sit on it and bounce a bit- jacking it up may have "opened up" the shocks and fork springs.

I never even thought about the shocks opening.. what do you mean by a straight edge, like put a straight ruler parallel to the kickstand and see if that is bent?

I don't see how you guys drink and work on your sickles lol I always break something when I do that..  Cheesy

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 03/08/12 at 06:59:22

Built2Last wrote on 03/08/12 at 05:40:53:
arteacher wrote on 03/08/12 at 04:25:10:

I never even thought about the shocks opening.. what do you mean by a straight edge, like put a straight ruler parallel to the kickstand and see if that is bent?

Ohhhhh, we break stuff, which means we have to keep working, & we get to keep drinking, its a bit like fishing, only without the water.

I don't see how you guys drink and work on your sickles lol I always break something when I do that..  Cheesy

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 03/08/12 at 09:22:24

Mine had a ride on the back of a tow truck recently.
The guy musta thought it was a harley and tied it down so tight he bent the kickstand.
Well, surprisingly easy to straighten.  
Monkey wrench on the pad and a grunt it was straight.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 03/08/12 at 10:54:40

Easy to straighten = easy to bend,,like a knife that is sharp in a coupla swipes on the stone, its dull when ya use it./

IP Logged
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 03/08/12 at 14:02:43

You got a nice low leaning chopper kick stand now?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 03/08/12 at 16:06:54

Yeah, the straight edge would tell you.  Mine was obvious and it bent closer to the ground than the frame (thinner metal).  And yes, I meant for you to check the mounting to see if anything was loose and allowing the stand to lean more than it should.  If it's all straight and you just want it to lean less, bolt a hockey puck to the bottom of the stand's foot.

Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #13 - 03/08/12 at 18:50:41

Everything looks fine... I still feel like its sagging and the bars won't stay straight.. but then again I did get some Metzeler ME 880s...

LOL anyone have the angle of a stock kickstand foot, bar, and where the assembly meets the frame? aha...

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #14 - 03/09/12 at 03:17:24

OK....OK... I tried soooo hard to resist... but your paranoia is showing again! Wink

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 16:25:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How strong is the kickstand?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.