Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
helmet cam?? (Read 347 times)
LostArtist
Ex Member

helmet cam??
03/07/12 at 16:51:06

I'm looking at getting a helmet cam, There's the Replay XD, GoPro, Drift, and a bunch of others.  I don't want huge files, so HD isn't necessarily the best thing, I'm not against HD either. sound quality. . . well, with wind noise and my bike being so quiet, not sure if it's that important.

I don't wanna spend much more than $200, actually, below $200 would be great

I'm kinda looking at this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/rePlay-XD-Helmet-Camera-System-Package-/230546113728?...

I like the cylinder shaped ones, the GoPro is a box, kinda ugly, but if it works the best than so be it.  

I want to record my rides to and from work mostly and I ride home at night so light light performance would be good but I could probably be okay without it.

any advice??  

yes I did look for the last thread about this but I couldn't find it Sad

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: helmet cam??
Reply #1 - 03/07/12 at 17:22:45

Not familiar with that one... $180 is pricey nowadays... lots of options...
The replayxd looks very good...(on and off buttons with vibration feedback... nice feature )
Wide angle helps smooth the ride, but too wide makes curves look straight.  That's my biggest gripe with go-pro...
Also.. read here...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1324188254

TIP.. do a you-tube search for the cam model you're interested in, and see what people have done with it...
Compare to go-pro and others on you-tube...

Looking forward to some viddie's.. Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #2 - 03/07/12 at 18:12:42

I've got an original GoPro that I may be interested in letting go so that I could upgrade to the GoPro2... Smiley

I use mine mainly for snowboarding, but have strapped it on the cargo rack on the WRX or windshield via suction cup mount. Videos are great, but pretty big. You could bump resolution down for smaller files if you wanted.

They have a variety of mounts which is nice. Helmet, bar, suction cup, etc, etc... and you can swap between all of them. Plus they can add on extras... I've got the LCD screen and BatteryPack options for mine. LCD when I need to see what I'm shooting and the extra battery when I just want long life out of it.

It's not great in low light... But I doubt you'll find something in that price range that is...

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 03/07/12 at 19:17:42

Serowbot, I've been researching your cheap 808 camera and ran across the MAC-10 on WalMart.com. If anything is left of income tax refund I'm looking seriously to buy. I really appreciate your advice on the little camera, but I think the Mac-10 would be a little easier to aim. For $80 it better be.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #4 - 03/07/12 at 20:03:24

I just (just, as in yesterday) got a ContourROAM off of amazon for $184.

It is HD, and files are about 1GB per 15minutes at 720p.

But I love it so far. The audio is pretty much only wind at speeds above 20mph, but it has a wide angle lens and is dead simple to use on a bike. It only has two buttons (and no interface out of a computer): one is to start/stop recording and the other is to display a laser level so you can line up where your camera is pointed.

Supposedly it is also "super tough" and water resistant to 1 meter, so those help.

I've recorded four rides (two five minute day time, two fifteen minute night time) so far with it mounted to the side of my helmet and they look pretty good. night shots are so-so with all the headlights and what not.

I went with the contour over the gopro based on looks (i like the cylinder look too) price (competitive, but the contour was $20 cheaper), and mounting options for what i needed (just a helmet... for now).

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 03/07/12 at 22:01:53

Boofer wrote on 03/07/12 at 19:17:42:
Serowbot, I've been researching your cheap 808 camera and ran across the MAC-10 on WalMart.com. If anything is left of income tax refund I'm looking seriously to buy. I really appreciate your advice on the little camera, but I think the Mac-10 would be a little easier to aim. For $80 it better be.  Smiley

Again, I'm not familiar with that specific cam, but... Walmart lists a spec of 63 degrees viewing angle... that is very barely wide angle.  So, I wouldn't recommend it for bike use.  It will make very jiggly video.
The go-pro is 170' and the replayXd looks to be 160' or so...
Don't worry about resolution, because they're all pretty great nowadays... view angle is the important spec for shooting on a bike...

I think 170' is a bit too wide, and would prefer something in the 120'to 140' range... but below 90 degrees is going to be too hard to make smooth...
The wider the angle, the smoother the moving video will look,.. but, objects will look further away, and curves will look straighter, forward speeds will look slower...  
(pros beat this problem by using a 35 to 45mm lens but using a very elaborate steadycam mounting system to smooth the view)........
We can't afford those thousands of dollars, so we must compromise by balancing the jiggle with the wideness of the angle...

I actually get the best compromise with my Fuji still camera set to video...  it's hard to mount up, but shoots excellent... I'm guessing the angle is in the 90' range...
If you already have a decent still cam that does video, give it a try first and see what you wish was different.
It may do perfectly well. or it may tell you more about what you might want...

These two videos were shot entirely with my Fuji 150 still cam... it shoots 640 x 480 at best quality and has a 24mm equivalent lens (thats fairly wide angle for a point and shoot still camera... 63' will be equal to about a 35mm lens).... (smaller millimetre lens = wider view angles)
17mm to 22mm equivalent, or 110' to 150' view angle is near perfect...(I haven;t found any in that range,... look for close.)...

this was hand held... with the camera in my left hand, I was moving it around to get different views...

this was mounted solid on the front fender of a friends bike as he followed behind me... (the jiggle you see is from the 90' view angle. It would be much less at 120 degrees)( 63 degrees would be much more jiggle)...

« Last Edit: 03/07/12 at 23:21:11 by Serowbot »  

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #6 - 03/08/12 at 02:55:52

I have a contourHD. Simple to use and it had multiple mountiong options. I haven't tried the helmet mount but have used the handlebar mount. Here's a short video. The only problem with the handlebar mount is that it shoots through the windshield.    AL
http://vimeo.com/29542031

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #7 - 03/08/12 at 06:43:46

I started with a cheap $25-$35 eBay special tube type cam. Was kinda fun for a while, but very limited on the interface with the computer, so a hassle to use.

Last fall I picked up a ContourHD from Amazon for like $90 and couldn't be more pleased with it.  Grin I haven't had a chance to mount it to my MC helmet yet because of the weather, but my daughter has used it a few times when she went snowboarding. Even with the quality settings set about midway the video is amazing and the computer interface is 10X better than the eBay special I got.

Helmet Cams are kinda fun to play around with, but the biggest drawback I see is you get these really long videos that you have to cut up to find/display the interesting parts to share. Takes alot of time, but the results can be entertaining.  Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/08/12 at 07:46:46

I actually enjoy post-processing stuff, so the better the computer interface the better for me

I'm kinda looking at the Drift hd170 or stealth  cause of the lcd screen on it, but it's kinda ugly, but it looks freaking awesome as far as functionality goes

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #9 - 03/08/12 at 08:39:33

LostArtist wrote on 03/08/12 at 07:46:46:
I actually enjoy post-processing stuff, so the better the computer interface the better for me

I'm kinda looking at the Drift hd170 or stealth  cause of the lcd screen on it, but it's kinda ugly, but it looks freaking awesome as far as functionality goes

Guess we know who to send our videos to to create a savage ride mashup  Wink

The drift looks great spec-wise. I was concerned with the contour not having a viewfinder/lcd, not knowing if i was getting it in the right position or not, but with the wide angle lens and the laser-level it worked out very well. I did have my  girlfriend mount it on my helmet while i was wearing my helmet though. would have been harder getting a good mounting position just on my lonesome.

The drift is... yeah, ugly. or at least bigger than I would want. the contourROAM is small(er). You can look up the specs online, but off the top of my head i'd say it is (very roughly) <1.5" thick, < 5" long, <2.5" high, which makes it feasible to put it in a front pocket for spell, though it wouldn't be comfortable there for very long.

actual dimensions (in mm) 100x55x34 mm (roughly 4"x2"x1.3").

I think my favorite thing about the contour is the dead-simple buttons. It has a "massive" slider button for the start/stop recording which makes it very easy to use in a pinch. I can turn it on/off very quickly with thick gloves on while it is on my helmet (no look on/off!).

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 03/08/12 at 09:07:59

A screen is not that useful to me... My still cam has one, and when I shoot with it, I never use it.   Usually busy watching the road, and here, it's too bright to see anyway... plus I often have it positioned where I couldn't see it anyway...
Positive indication that you are rolling video is more important.  I've screwed that up many times...
I like the laser sight idea... I think I'll buy a dollar store laser and add it to my mount.  That sounds very handy for set-up...

Got me fired up now... I want to go shoot something... Grin...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 03/08/12 at 09:57:52

I like the laser sight idea... I think I'll buy a dollar store laser and add it to my mount.  That sounds very handy for set-up...

Dont look up at any airplanes..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 03/08/12 at 10:04:50

It's only for aiming JOG,.. I'm not making a Stars Wars movie... Grin...

... or maybe I should?... Huh...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 03/08/12 at 10:09:34

Problee just a night time thing, but.

You may be arrested or worse

You may be arrested
Laser users are frequently arrested for aiming at airplanes or helicopters. It is surprisingly easy to find you. And as authorities take laser incidents more seriously, they are putting more effort into finding perpetrators:

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/08/12 at 10:20:34

Serowbot wrote on 03/08/12 at 09:07:59:
A screen is not that useful to me... My still cam has one, and when I shoot with it, I never use it.   Usually busy watching the road, and here, it's too bright to see anyway... plus I often have it positioned where I couldn't see it anyway...
Positive indication that you are rolling video is more important.  I've screwed that up many times...

Got me fired up now... I want to go shoot something... Grin...

it has a remote . . . the turning lens and screen so I can make sure it's lined up right . . . but it's just so big . .  ugly . .  ugh I think it's still better than the GoPro though in looks anyway, I think it has a microphone option, wireless maybe? so I could put it inside my helmet or someplace better protected from wind. . idk, but it's cool  Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:30:04

General CategoryThe Cafe › helmet cam??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.