Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Electrical problems.. Ignition? (Read 280 times)
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Electrical problems.. Ignition?
Reply #15 - 03/09/12 at 13:00:22

What's the petcock?..  Snort!.. Grin Grin Grin...

Sorry...   It's the thing you're messing with.  It lets the gas flow from the tank to the carb..
The knob on it has three settings. Off, On, and Prime..
Prime let's gas flow without engine vacuum.

Hoses... one big one, goes from the left (shifter) side of the carb up to the petcock, near the knob.  It's the fuel line
The other comes from the right (rear brake) side of of the carb up to the backside of the petcock (kinda' hard to see) behind the other one. It's the vacuum line
Two smaller hoses at the rear of the carb are vent tubes
They go here,... and they connect to nothing.  They should be open to atmosphere...
Like this..

Ignore the writing in this photo, but this is Prime position) Lever pointing to rear...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 03/09/12 at 13:29:32

Zeke342 wrote on 03/09/12 at 12:38:46:
I'm dumb, i know, but how do you put it on prime exactly??  and what's the petcock?

This is my first experience with anything mechanical related.. I'm more of a paint and body guy lol.

Time to read the owners manual...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1138554254

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #17 - 03/09/12 at 13:31:42

If you're going to run it on Prime without the vacuum line attached, the vacuum nipple on the carb should be capped during that test.  I would stress that's not really the best normal operating setting though.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 03/09/12 at 13:58:33

Unforunately even with the hoses all in the proper places.. still no luck Sad just a constant crank.  I believe were going to take the bike in at this point because it would appear something is wrong with the inside of the carb.

As I mentioned before, in the carb is a small piece, a jet I believe? that had a filter on the tip.. when they gave us the rebuild kit the replacement piece had no small mesh filter on the tip, we called and they said that was perfectly fine and wouldn't cause any damage.  Can anyone confirm this?  

The piece I'm referring to is in this image
http://www.rpmracingca.com/prodimages/large/Carb%20rebuildkit3-1.jpg
The piece with the small rounded filter on the tip?  Our rebuild piece had no filter >.<

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #19 - 03/09/12 at 14:04:59

Just a quick thing to check that may save you a trip in to the mechanic. Do you have spark?

IP Logged
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 03/09/12 at 14:20:16

Spark?  like spark plug?  Yes.  Brand new.. we even took it out last night to double check if anything wrong with it or built up on it and still looks good as new.

We have all the lights running and everything set up to go but the bike just constantly cranks and cranks sounding sooooo close to turning over.  Even little puffs of air come out of the exhaust.. dunno if that means anything or not.. but I figure any little detail may be able to pin point the problem.  Battery is fully charged.  New oil in the bike.  New spark plug.  New fuses.  And on 5500 miles on the bike.. so were almost certain the engine is in very good condition.. just can't seem to pinpoint the problem Sad

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #21 - 03/09/12 at 14:26:08

Did you check to make sure that it's sparking is what I was meaning. A brand new plug may not be sparking if there is a problem between it and the battery. It's a simple test that will save you a whack of time chasing other things.

IP Logged
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 03/09/12 at 14:27:23

yeah my old man tested it last night just pulled it out and stuck it to some metal and hit the starter -.- didn't seem to smart to me but it definitely sparked lol.

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #23 - 03/09/12 at 15:01:40

That's the way to do it.  SmileyJust be glad your old man didn't get you to hold it the way mine did when we were trying to fix the lawn mower.  Angry
On the flip side, I'll never forget how to do that test!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #24 - 03/09/12 at 15:12:13

greenmonster wrote on 03/09/12 at 15:01:40:
That's the way to do it.  SmileyJust be glad your old man didn't get you to hold it the way mine did when we were trying to fix the lawn mower.  Angry
On the flip side, I'll never forget how to do that test!

LOL!  I learned the same way!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #25 - 03/09/12 at 17:34:14

Step ONE, CHarge that battery UP,

Number B

Spray some kinda ether or something at the air cleaner,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 03/10/12 at 17:05:25

Okay.. we got the bike started today Cheesy... for about 5 seconds probably 10 times.. then the battery got drained from too much trying to start it I guess -.-

fuel was dripping from the exhaust for a few moments, isn't that known as running rich??? Also.. fuel and what looked like dirt was dripping out of the left side of the bikes (kick stand) air hose connect to the carb.

How can I make the bike run longer than 5 seconds?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 03/10/12 at 19:25:16

If I twist the grip, mine wont start,Itll flood every time,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 03/10/12 at 19:46:43

So I probably flooded it?  How can I unflood it?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 03/10/12 at 20:04:44

Wait a while, maybe youve washed the cylinder down & compression is down,, but dont twist the gas, just set the choke & push start, if it seems to be spinning just way easy, p[ull the plug & squirt some oil in & spin it,

A spark on the plug with the plug out? Proves just nearly nothing about the battery, leave the plug in & stick another plug in the plugwire & test then, That way the battery is loaded just likie its trying to actually start the thing,

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 04:22:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Electrical problems.. Ignition?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.