Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
fast,fast,fast ...please help. (Read 502 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: fast,fast,fast ...please help.
Reply #15 - 03/06/12 at 16:21:34

What would you think about a kawa 250? The dont look like a guy would need a chiropractor after 20 miles & you could play hard & not go to jail.OR hospital

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 03/06/12 at 16:40:39

Rider input has a lot to do with what a bike will do.. You guys are bad mouthing Harley, thinking that the Savage can take one in the twistys, think about one word, "Buell"... I like the little Savage for around town puddle jumping, love the lowend torque, but highway? Anything over 55 is going to wear you out in about 30 minutes..

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #17 - 03/06/12 at 16:59:30

Retread wrote on 03/06/12 at 16:40:39:
  Rider input has a lot to do with what a bike will do.. You guys are bad mouthing Harley, ..

You are absolutely right, the rider has just as much to do with it as the bike does. I would beat my brother on his 883 with my S40 every time. It's all reaction time. When I REALLY want to mess with Harley riders, I use my scooter  Grin About a 3 hour ride is all I can take on the S40 but it handles the super slab just fine for me

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 03/06/12 at 17:54:05

Buell was Buell before hurley bought it.   S&S had more to do with pre-hurley buell engines than hurley did before hurley bough the marque.  

Hurley has now scrapped the marque and all the existing bikes so now there IS no Buell the marque and Buell the man has a no-compete contract clause that still has 5 years left until the Buell the man's bikes can live again (under a different name, of course).

Hurley is left with the 1200 cc Sportster as their hot bike now.   Both Lancer and MMRanch have tried Sportsters during Dragon time, the relatively low power relatively heavy 883 wasn't fast enough and the 1200 cc didn't do curves well enough to beat a Savage.

Retread, you simply know not of what you speak when you say hurleys can beat a Savage in the mountains.   T'ain't so.   We beat repeatedly and wore out & broke the 1200 cc Sportster that MMRanch rode to the last dragon run.

Open highway yes (if MM could get out of second into third gear he could pull away from a Savage), but on curvy mountain roads, no not a chance to do so.   He'd break his rear tire free in second gear trying and have to shut it down.  

Mrod has never ridden against us, but it has even greater weight and more brutally acting acceleration which plays against it in the fast mountain twisties.  We have never even seen an Mrod ridden fast up in the mountains, ever.  100+ hp Mrod would likely smoke itself in second gear and spit you right off the mountain trying to go fast up there.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 03/06/12 at 19:19:16

Old feller. I know the Buell brand is no longer being made, but IF you tried to run a Savage against a Buell XB or an 1125R you would experience a very short vision of a Buell tailight as it dissapeared in front of you... If you have worked on the Buell powerplant you would find it is a basic Hurley V twin with hot cams, head, and chips....

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
wolfsgrin

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bentonville, AR
Reply #20 - 03/07/12 at 00:57:39

Thanks Verslagen. Will this piston work? 97mm, I think it should. It says 3.00mm oversize and I think I got it confused with the bore tolerance .002 to.003. .002 being the right one.
http://lukesracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

Also will this mikuni work? Just bolt straight on with no conversion kit or anything? Were these not like $300-350 a couple years ago. I remember Lancer had the kits for this and cam for a great deal but I missed out. There is a mikuni chart if you scroll down.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mikuni-Carburetor-Cpt-38mm-Spgt-Vm38-9-Round-Slide-Vm...

Anything I can do or get for the cam chain setup and where to look? Thanks again for everyone's help.  I will post some pics of my build so far tomorrow. I still have to set up a photobucket account.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #21 - 03/07/12 at 04:06:32

wolfsgrin wrote on 03/07/12 at 00:57:39:
Thanks Verslagen. Will this piston work? 97mm, I think it should. It says 3.00mm oversize and I think I got it confused with the bore tolerance .002 to.003. .002 being the right one.
http://lukesracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

Also will this mikuni work? Just bolt straight on with no conversion kit or anything? Were these not like $300-350 a couple years ago. I remember Lancer had the kits for this and cam for a great deal but I missed out. There is a mikuni chart if you scroll down.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mikuni-Carburetor-Cpt-38mm-Spgt-Vm38-9-Round-Slide-Vm...

Anything I can do or get for the cam chain setup and where to look? Thanks again for everyone's help.  I will post some pics of my build so far tomorrow. I still have to set up a photobucket account.

The Dr650 and LS650 shared a common piston in the 90-95 model years, so Wiseco pistons for the DR650 for those model years will work in all LS650 model years.  They were produced in 95, 96 & 97mm sizes but the 97 has been discontinued.  One will show up on ebay on a rare occasion, otherwise 95 & 96's are all that are available now.  
The 1996 and later DR650 engines are a new animal with shorter stroke and larger bore.  I have seen aftermarket pistons up to 103mm for that engine.  Just keep in mind that for the LS650 engine the largest functional bore is 97mm.  There is not enough room to go any larger but that is ok, 97mm gives just a hair under 700cc.  That alone adds about 0.5 to the compression ratio and with the Wiseco piston with its raised piston crown the effective overall CR is bumped up to the 10.5:1 range...and that is a significant increase over the stock 8.5:1 and adds a very noticeable snap to engine response.

Regarding the Mikuni VM carbs.  They are the best bang for the buck of any new replacement carb on the market for the LS650.   I have spent 10 years testing a bucket full of carbs and a 36mm VM (along with a few Amal round slides I found some years back) is as good a carb as you can put on this engine.  It is relatively cheap to buy and jets/parts are easy to find and cheap as well.  The 38mm is a few bucks more, but has no power advantage over the 36mm and the 36mm has better low-midrange responsiveness because the smaller carb bore creates higher air velocity of incoming air and thus better responsiveness.
The VM carb does require a different rubber mounting flange and a custom throttle cable to match the hand throttle on the bike (there are 3 different types for different model years of the LS650) and the carb end of the cable.  Of course, different jets are needed for this carb to work on the LS650 as apposed to the standard jets included in the carb as it comes new from Mikuni.  The jets needed for the LS650 varies depending on the setup of a particular bike; like muffler, header/muffler, bore, camshaft, compression ratio, head porting, etc.
That's why I put the Performance Carburetor Kit together; folks kept asking for something they could use to make the same type of mod for themselves.

There are:
Performance Carburetor Kits
Stage 1 & 2 Performance Camshafts
High Compression Big Bore Kits
JETSETS

** Prototype header being manufactured for testing; will post info, photos, etc when I have it in hand.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 03/07/12 at 08:04:46

If you haven't found it already, you should check out this guy's build....

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1264727267/0

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
wedge98
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 03/07/12 at 08:18:04

I used to own a 2000 Suzuki TL1000R (the predecessor to the SV1000). It was one heck of a machine and with upgraded brakes from braketech, it stopped better than any machine I have ever owned.

However, the bike was unstable and tank slaps were as common as tar snakes. The bike and I had a love-hate relationship. I loved her to death and she hated me. I ended up on the ground three times(2 high-sides, 1 low-side) on that bike and should have been down many more times if not thanks to my aftermarket steering stabilizer and luck.

That all being said, I now own the best handling bike I have ever ridden(I've ridden 30+ bikes thanks to demo rides at bike week), an Aprilia Tuono. The bike is another 1000cc V-twin but handles like a 600. Super smooth, flickable, and confidence inspiring(spinning the rear wheel on a turn going up a hill just puts a smile on my face now as I ride it out). If you ever get a chance to demo ride one, do it. You wont regret, though your wallet might. Wink

IP Logged
wedge98
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 03/07/12 at 08:50:47

teabowl13 wrote on 03/07/12 at 08:04:46:
If you haven't found it already, you should check out this guy's build....

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1264727267/0

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

wow....that is a very talented guy.

IP Logged
Finney138

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 03/07/12 at 12:42:15

wolfsgrin that 97 from lukes is not available, i put in the order and got an email2 days later saying it wasnt there. your going to have to find a place that has one on their shelf which is easier said than done.

IP Logged
dr1445

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 03/07/12 at 15:05:10

if you want more info on the mikuni tm or keihin fcr pumper carbs there is a ton of info over at  thumper talk on the dr suzuki site. there is even info on efi setups for your 650 4t single.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/25-dr/ just use the search function.

IP Logged
KellyR
YaBB Newbies

Reply #27 - 04/22/12 at 20:28:55

wedge98 wrote on 03/06/12 at 15:07:34:
wolfsgrin wrote on 03/06/12 at 13:17:55:
Thanks guys. Maybe I should have said harleykiller instead of crotchrocket but I believe once I finish these mods I could put some 250 ninjas down and keep up with the 600's for a lil bit.  Yes I love my savage it was my first bike.  Everyone says I won't get the money back that I put into it and should just buy another bike.  Those people haven't ridden a savage.  Smiley.  So anyword where to get a 97mm piston? Or how big of a mikuni I can get? Well gotta go to work? I'll check back later.

Yes you will certainly take down 250cc bikes Wink  600s..... you will beat them off the line unless their rider has an awesome start. Once they hit the higher rpms, it's over. I would love to see your bike vs a stock sv650. The sv650 is a really solid bike and I think it would be a very close race.

Currently I ride a CBR1000RR, but previously had a CBR600 and a Ninja 650R, which is very similar to the SV650.  I'm in this forum because I'm now building a Savage cafe, a bike I first had at 15 in 88.

I hate to tell ya, but there's no way the Savage could beat a 600 sport bike off the line..unless the 600 rider missed a gear or stalled it. If the SV was anything like the 650R, and I think it was, the Savage would probably beat it off the line but the sv would come back in 'bout 4th gear and that Savage would bite the dust on that top end.

I appreciate the Savage for what it is...but a "killer", HD or otherwise, it's not.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 04/22/12 at 20:46:49

I have to add also, that no matter what the TOP speed, I've always enjoyed riding the most on twisty back roads going 55-60 or so MPH.
I rode a 2000 Kawi ZRX1100 (Eddie Lawson Replica) for 7 years and loved it, but I never reved it anywhere near its redline. Sure I ran it up to 100mph once or twice, just to say I did it, but that's about it.

I've really been thinking about that in terms of my Savage build; and where the real strength of this engine lies is in the torque; low and middle range power. That's the whole reason I wanted to build my bike out of a Savage in the first place! Sure, I'm going to do a few simple upgrades to my Roadster, but if I really wanted a crotch-rocket, I'D GO BUY ONE!!

IP Logged
KellyR
YaBB Newbies

Reply #29 - 04/22/12 at 20:57:12

teabowl13 wrote on 04/22/12 at 20:46:49:
I have to add also, that no matter what the TOP speed, I've always enjoyed riding the most on twisty back roads going 55-60 or so MPH.
I rode a 2000 Kawi ZRX1100 (Eddie Lawson Replica) for 7 years and loved it, but I never reved it anywhere near its redline. Sure I ran it up to 100mph once or twice, just to say I did it, but that's about it.

I've really been thinking about that in terms of my Savage build; and where the real strength of this engine lies is in the torque; low and middle range power. That's the whole reason I wanted to build my bike out of a Savage in the first place! Sure, I'm going to do a few simple upgrades to my Roadster, but if I really wanted a crotch-rocket, I'D GO BUY ONE!!

Exactly. This is a case of "It is what it is" being a good thing. It's a great lil bike that's easy to repurpose and a blast to work on, even here in the early stages of my project.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:30:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › fast,fast,fast ...please help.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.