Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
fast,fast,fast ...please help. (Read 502 times)
wolfsgrin

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bentonville, AR
fast,fast,fast ...please help.
03/06/12 at 03:58:57

Hi all glad to be a member of the forum. well I was a member a couple years ago but forgot my login info and old email so I renewed. Anyways I have a few questions about some performance mods that I want to do. I'll be coming into some cash and finally get to finish my bobber. It will probably never be finished as I'm always changing something.  well here's what the plan is basically like this...      
   1 - Remove brass idle mix plug and tune to help backfiring/decel popping.
2 - Lancer jet kit/white spacer - tune the bike in stock form like it SHOULD be , not like the factory has it.
3 - Replace stock cannon muffler with something reasonable (Ie better flowing and better sounding) and repeat steps 1 and 2.
4 - Replace stock Air filter with somethign more free flowing to match the new muffler. Repeat steps 1 and 2
5 - Replace carb with Mikuni VM available most cost effectively from Lancer. Repeat steps 1 and 2.
6 - The real mods begin. At this point depending on what you HAVE to do to fix up your engine already you can go with a - overbore/wiseco piston, b - cam stage 1 or 2 available from Lancer, c - Both. Repeat steps 1 and 2.
7 - Minimal head porting with a dremel. Probably wont require a whole lot of jetting change if you keep the stock header but you ought to do it anyway. Repeat steps 1 and 2.
8 - At this point you've probably spent more tinkering than you have invested in the initial bike purchase. In for a penny, in for a pound. Replacing stock header with something more open. Gunna have to be a 1 off or $400 Raask system from sweden. Repeat steps 1 and 2
9 - By now you're pushing about 45-50Hp (vs stock 26-30HP) at the wheel and running 0-60 in about 4-5 seconds...maybe a bit less. You're already in for a pound. You're already making every puffed up midlife-crisis Harley rider in your area get real pissed when you smoke 'em. You've got few tried and reliable options at this point. If you went with a stage 1 cam in step 6 you can trade up for a stage 2. If you went with a 95mm wiseco piston you can trade up to a 97mm. You COULD, if your resourceful, patient, and maybe cash laden procure a slightly longer connecting rod which would even further up the compression ratio from your already hi-comp wiseco piston. If you're even more cash laden and/or resourceful you might do an honest to god stroke job. You could have a profession porting job done.
By this point you will have also replaced the stock clutch plates and springs with a barnett or OldFellers 6 plate method and are seriously cursing suzuki's stock cam chain set-up. You already know what you're doing now for the most part. We'll probably end up asking you questions as Lancer is the only member here who's gotten to #9.
   *1-4 done on to 5-9. I plan to have the cylinder bored for a 97mm wiseco-discontinued Sad along with the carbide treatment. Install a stage 2 cam from webcam. Have the head polished and ported, intake and exhaust. Grab a Mikuni carb with ufo and dialAjet.  Do the chain conversion 16/43. Upgrade to performance clutch and springs. And hmmm did I miss anything? Oh yeah, I know this is probably bass ackwards for the performance mods I'm doing  but I'm also going to hard tail it to stretch the rear 4-5 inches and put a springer front end on it. Actually I believe the hard tail would be quicker on take off. But am willing to sacrifice any loss for that look. I basically want a crotchrocket killer.  So here's my questions.  
1. Can anyone tell me where to get a 97mm wiseco #4597MO9700? I have found one on lukesracing.com but for the clearance it states .003 for the 97, .002 for 96, and .??? for the 95. Am sure this should be .002 for 97mm.
2.Biggest MM Mikuni to fit my bike 36,38,40,bigger? Roll Eyes
3.After all these performance mods what do I need to do to my cam chain like the tensioner or chain or anything?
4.Is there any performance valves like wiseco titanium or I think they're called kebblewhite or something? Does this make a difference?
5. Say I would like to get more comp. and find a longer connecting rod and do a stoke job can or has this been done? Being a squared cylinder 94mmx94mm. Any Ideas on where I might find one.
6. Which would be better dialAjet or thunderjet with the two areas for fuel entry.
7. Knife edged crankshaft, what do you think? Or is there anything else in the cases I can mess with to squeeze out more hp or get more throttle response?
8. Is there anything else I can do to get this beast to hit 0-60 in 3-4 seconds?
Well I'm sure I forgot something but that should do for now. I'm no mechanic at all, Clymers looks like rocket science to me, so sorry if I didn't call anything right or there's something I misunderstood most parts are a thingymajig to me. Thanks in advance for any help,advice or ideas you guys come up with.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: fast,fast,fast ...please help.
Reply #1 - 03/06/12 at 04:35:14

Sv650 stock will out horsepower a heavily modified Savage.  Out handle it too.

If your legs are long enough and young enough (flexible) for the crotch rocket seating style that is.

Any 600 cc in line four racer-replica bike will kick the ass of a SV650 by the same margin the SV650 will do to a heavily modified Savage.

The money you are going to spend on modifying a Savage to that degree (knife edged crank ???) would be better spent on another bike.   This would get you closer to fast fast fast much faster.

You have read a lot of stuff about how to do it, but first you have to ask yourself the question IF you should do it.

Hard fact is that a real Savage Frankenstein bike (Savage very heavily performance modified) has proven here on the list to have a pretty short service life before self-destructing in some varying fashion.

We love watching folks build SuperSavage engines and frames and such -- but you need to talk to Lancer if you want to pursue this goal seriously as he has something up in the lab under a sheet you might be interested in buying  (to shorten your journey a good bit and get you there much faster faster faster)

Grin   Grin   Grin      I loves these young people .... so much energy

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 03/06/12 at 07:18:07

If I was gonna spend that much time & $$$ on working to drag performance out of something, I think Id spend it on something that will have some real power when I was done. The BEST youll get out of this engine is less than stock in the performance bike market, & then it will puke on your ankles.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/06/12 at 08:09:50

1. Take bike down to local used bike store..

2. Trade it for an old GS1150E...

3. Mod it and take everything on the street..... Cool

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
wedge98
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/06/12 at 08:52:56

I am also going to upgrade my savage engine as I want to get some more power out of it but it will never touch a crotch rocket. Let me tell you why:

Here are my three crotch rocket/naked bikes:
2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000R - 1000cc V2 - 122hp/70ft-lbs torque at 450lbs
2004 Suzuki GSX-R 750 - 750cc I4 - 125hp/40ft-lbs torque? at 425lbs
2004 Suzuki GSX-R 600 - 600cc I4 - 100hp/35ft-lbs torque? at 400lbs

These are fast bikes but nothing compared to the new stuff below:
2012 Kawasaki ZX-10R - 1000CC I4 - 192hp
2012 BMW S1000RR - 1000CC I4 - 190hp with traction control
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale - 1200cc V2 - 195hp/98ft-lbs at 415lbs, Traction control, ABS, electornic suspension, and beautiful

Savage does not have a chance against any of these bikes but you do not buy a savage for speed. You buy it for fun. My aprilia breaks 60mph in first gear and has 5 more to go after that.... so I can't legally have fun on the street. The savage lets me have fun without losing my license or getting killed.

IP Logged
wedge98
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/06/12 at 08:56:12

and for more on the new Ducati(aka the new king of sportbikes right now), here is the wiki entry on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ducati_1199_Panigale

Google it for drool worthy images.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 03/06/12 at 08:59:28

wedge98 wrote on 03/06/12 at 08:52:56:
.... so I can't legally have fun on the street. The savage lets me have fun without losing my license or getting killed.

Yup,... I drive my Metro like a Ferrari at Monza,... and I just barely keep up with traffic...  Fun, fun, fun....
I got speeding ticket in it once...  Proudest day of my life... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 03/06/12 at 09:16:07

It seems to me that with all them horses in the stable... you're not looking for HP.  The savage is already a torque monster.  You ought to be looking to make it light weight.  That and a carb, muff, cam, and some mild porting and you'll have a bike that'll rip your arms off.

WWW   IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/06/12 at 10:33:30

I have to say... for all the work you're planning to do, if real power gain is what you're after, I'd be tempted to pull a SV650 motor out of some kids wrecked bike and stuff that into your bobber frame. I'm sure you cold have one for cheap. Maybe even a DR650? (i don't know how much difference there is between these two, but I know I've seen guys build cafe bikes and street trackers out of them...)

But I have to say also; this sounds like a case of Savage Love. If you simply love this machine, and want to get the most out of it you can, then go for it, but bear in mind that what OldFeller said hold true for almost all bikes: There's only so much blood you can get from a stone.

"Hard fact is that a real Savage Frankenstein bike (Savage very heavily performance modified) has proven here on the list to have a pretty short service life before self-destructing in some varying fashion."

Good luck, and show us the results!

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #9 - 03/06/12 at 12:12:52

Doesn't the DR650 use the same jug as the LS650? I thought that when people buy over-sized pistons that they are actually buying ones marketed for the DR650. Since the LS650 Savage/S40 has so much low end torque, it seems like trying to make it a fast race bike is about the same as trying to hot rod a tractor.  Grin It can be done but is it worth the investment. Shoot, no matter what I could do to my S40 to make it faster, it still wouldn't beat my Suzuki Burgman 650 off the line or on top end speed. And the Burgman is a scooter.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
wolfsgrin

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bentonville, AR
Reply #10 - 03/06/12 at 13:17:55

Thanks guys. Maybe I should have said harleykiller instead of crotchrocket but I believe once I finish these mods I could put some 250 ninjas down and keep up with the 600's for a lil bit.  Yes I love my savage it was my first bike.  Everyone says I won't get the money back that I put into it and should just buy another bike.  Those people haven't ridden a savage.  Smiley.  So anyword where to get a 97mm piston? Or how big of a mikuni I can get? Well gotta go to work? I'll check back later.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 03/06/12 at 14:02:01

search 4597M* wiseco for all the pistons.

lancer has a big bore kit in the marketplace which is really the way to go.

I think VM38 is recommended
but check out truckinduc's build thread... something like "my savage"
think he had a TM40 from a harley.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 03/06/12 at 14:39:00

Hurley killin' -- yup a Savage can surely do that, especially up in the mountains.

Gots a group of Savage riders that goes up there every year to the Dragon and does Hurley's fer breakfast, lunch and supper.

Key to the trick is location, location, location.    

Put the hurley in a curvy place where he has to slow down for every turn and you can eat his ass inside his turn radius at will in every turn where he goes wide due to his excess mass and speed.

(and that is every turn, btw)

Or you can just run them into the ground as the primary chain sprockets will come off the splines or something else very basic in the hurley design will give up under the constant on-off stress of mountain riding.

Grin    Savage them durn hurleys any durn way you can, that's our motto ....

Deux un coup is the current highest instant kill count that was confirmed by reliable witnesses like MMRanch and Lancer.

Sparky Sparky left ... Sparky Sparky right ...

Sparky fun fun fun ...

The most wonderful thing about hurleys is

with Granny there can be only  one !!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
wedge98
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 03/06/12 at 15:07:34

wolfsgrin wrote on 03/06/12 at 13:17:55:
Thanks guys. Maybe I should have said harleykiller instead of crotchrocket but I believe once I finish these mods I could put some 250 ninjas down and keep up with the 600's for a lil bit.  Yes I love my savage it was my first bike.  Everyone says I won't get the money back that I put into it and should just buy another bike.  Those people haven't ridden a savage.  Smiley.  So anyword where to get a 97mm piston? Or how big of a mikuni I can get? Well gotta go to work? I'll check back later.

Yes you will certainly take down 250cc bikes Wink  600s..... you will beat them off the line unless their rider has an awesome start. Once they hit the higher rpms, it's over. I would love to see your bike vs a stock sv650. The sv650 is a really solid bike and I think it would be a very close race.

The DR650 is a different motor.....I wish it was the same as they have some huge big bore kits for it and they can be pushed up to 54hp/50ft-lbs of torque.

If I had to drop a motor into the frame, I would drop the sv650 or sv1000 motor in there. the sv1000 would net about 115hp/60 ft-lbs of torque. Though you would need dual disk brakes and much better suspension to keep it under control. Actually, that is a really bad idea in general...ignore that thought...

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 03/06/12 at 16:05:38

The Suzuki 90 degree 1,000cc twin was nicknamed "Widowmaker" for a good reason, you know.   It outran its own brakes and handling.

The SV650 is a longer wider engine than the Savage that requires a dual tube frame with the 90 degree jugs coming out the frame in two axis -- it ain't ever gonna fit in a Savage frame, ever.   SV650 has dual front brakes for a reason, as it top ends circa 120 mph at 74hp stock.

The Savage however is a primo granny sickle, just learn to love it for what it is and what it can do.

'Fat ol man on a granny sickle' is a turrible turrible thing up there in the mountains -- other folks instantly believe their bike is faster & better and they ride themselves right on off the road trying to beat it (with really surprised looks on their faces  ....)

Sparky, Sparky      Sparky, Sparky     Sparky fun fun fun  (the Tiger song)

Sparky to the right of him,   Sparky to the left ....   (stuck in the middle with you)

.... very powerful bikes are a hindrance in the mountains, they manage to pass you on the little bitty straights and then they are going way too too fast for the next turn.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:26:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › fast,fast,fast ...please help.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.