Re-ring bore diameters (Read 96 times)
SinglesGoinSteady

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks like Bon
Scott!

From Seattle, now in Savannah.
Re-ring bore diameters
03/05/12 at 11:21:39

Where do I get the diameters for putting rings in of the bore and the rings?  About to hone it and want to make sure the fits are good.  Do I need to get  the Suzuki shop manual?  

Thanks

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Re-ring bore diameters
Reply #1 - 03/05/12 at 12:44:19

You got inside diameter measuring stuff?

OHH! How many miles on it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SinglesGoinSteady

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks like Bon
Scott!

Reply #2 - 03/05/12 at 13:05:36

Yup, got a machinist friend with all the gear.  Only has 5700 miles, but, took all the way to the cylinder off to try and find a knock.  No luck at all.  Shook the rod and it seems solid, so going to re-ring since I took the piston out, at least I'll be back at baseline.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 03/05/12 at 21:24:43

Rings are matched to actual honed cylinder diameters by measuring the ring gap with the ring set square in the bore using the piston top as the setting tool.  "Diameter" is adjusted by the installer by increasing the gap so it gives the right gap when installed in the bore itself.    

First over top and middle rings can be purchased and gapped down to fit a worn stock bore.  Oil scrapers can be generally reused, but if you buy a first over ring kit you get them anyway .....

You have a stock diameter piston that may be worn or warped.

You say you have a buddy with the tools and knowledge to use them.  To judge the fit of a piston to a bore does not require anything fancier than a set of good feeler gauges.

First, you rough up the bore with a fine hone to get the cross hatch pattern back, then you clean very carefully several times before slipping the old piston into the new looking cleaned bore.

You measure the skirt clearance first as that is where your slap or knock noise comes from.  You do this by checking the same spot on the piston with the piston sitting as it will be installed, then rotated 90 degrees from that position to check your bore for roundness.  Then you check all around the piston sitting in the same position to judge the piston roundness.

You do the same again at the ring area of the piston, understanding that the head runs a lot of extra clearance compared to the skirt as the flat top of the piston expands more than the skirt does.

Do both of these at the top, middle and bottom of the bore stroke, checking for taper.

If it exceeds the Clymers clearance numbers for max service on piston skirt or piston ring area then you are either going to bore it out to first over or have the piston skirt moly coated to build it up to get your correct fitment back (assuming your bore has minimal taper and has good roundness and skirt gap isn't over .003" over spec. which is all moly coating can recover).

Then you measure the ring diameter clearance to the bore to see if it is within wear specs.

Then you measure each ring groove for excess ring clearance (slop of the rings in the grooves).

If any of these three items are out of spec, you need a new piston and rings.

===============

Shops don't do this level of analysis.  Most shops want to sell you a new first over piston and a bore job done by them, so if you take it to a shop understand you are going to get your pocket picked accordingly.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 03/05/12 at 21:50:52

Did you check the ball bearings that run the counter balancer?  Did you check the running clearance on the cam head bearings?

Both can make a knock or slap sound.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 03/05/12 at 22:49:11

good stuff OF needs to go into the tech section

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 03/06/12 at 06:38:24

Speaking strictly from the viewpoint of an amateur who hasn't done this before, it would be quite helpful if we had some pictures of this the next time anyone experienced completes this exercise.  I haven't checked Greg's pics recently but I don't recall him having covered this.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SinglesGoinSteady

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks like Bon
Scott!

Reply #7 - 03/06/12 at 07:00:15

I have another buddy with the bore measuring instruments and will try and take a lot of photos of the process tomorrow night.  I hope I can use the stock rings coz that's what I ordered... Embarrassed

Thanks for the tips OldFeller, I did not split the cases.  My knock sounded exactly like the deep pitched knock in one of those cam chain tensioner videos and the plunger was out 0.62 inches when I opened it up, so I am hoping that was the noise.  Everything else is so clean I am don't want to think there is any looseness inside.  We shall see...

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 03/06/12 at 07:58:29

Singlesgoingsteady

While you got it this far down ,

If you put a hone in the cylider you need to put a new piston (oversize).

Mine had 39.948 miles on it and the cylinder was not even wore .001".

But the piston - skirt   was wore out.

Wiseco makes a 95 and 96 mm HighDome piston for our bikes .

Go for one of them.   or Suzuki makes a 94.5mm and a 95mm. but the suzuki ones are flat top

do the Versey cam-adjuster mod while your there and then forget the engine internals for the next 30,000 miles or so !

Wink

« Last Edit: 03/07/12 at 11:44:13 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 22:16:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re-ring bore diameters

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.