Send Topic Print
front tire mileage (Read 162 times)
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
front tire mileage
03/04/12 at 17:02:36

What kinda mileage are yous getting on your stock front tires? Mine's getting close to the wear bars at <5000 miles.

Also, is it really crappy manners to buy tires on line & then take them to a mechanic for installation?

And, my rear tire, a 10mm- oversize Dunlop, has plenty of tread (with a worn shoulder as mentioned in an earlier post). Okay to keep that while going with a Metzler up front?

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: front tire mileage
Reply #1 - 03/04/12 at 17:16:18

Yup,.. the stock IRC's don't last half as long as Dunlop's.. Mine were toast after 3 to 5k,. can't remember exactly...
My Dunlop's were like 12 to 16k...
I have Shinko 712 rear and Kenda Kruz front now...
Love fresh meat... don't you?... Wink...

I had my local tire shop install my Shinko from online,.. they were happy for the business.. (I did give them the chance to beat the price first.. and I did buy my tube from them)... It pays to buy the tube from the installer.  That way if they bugger it up, they will have to replace it...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #2 - 03/04/12 at 18:01:53

I think tires are like oil. We all have a preference, somtimes based on handling; sometimes on looks or price. I have a friend with a 1999 Magna. Loves the K555s that came on the Magna and gets 10,000 miles a set.  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
RC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Quartz Hill Ca.
Reply #3 - 03/04/12 at 19:31:03

The IRC that came on my 09 went 5500 and was shot  the Pirelli MT66 on there now was 4000 and looks almost new.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 03/05/12 at 03:32:19

Geeeeesh you guys are hell on tires !
IRCs....rear changed at 6K,......front looks like it'll go to 10K

« Last Edit: 03/05/12 at 07:39:13 by Routy »  

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 03/05/12 at 03:49:21

I' am about the same 6500 front looks good but back is down pretty good,Putting new Pirelli Route 66 on this week both front and back.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 03/05/12 at 05:08:13

my rear was ready to go at 5k so did both tho front was still okay
new tubes and liners at the same time crusier customizing was runnin a sale on metzs'
local shop mounted and balanced  them

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
BrettKeiselsbeard

2007 S-40, 2003
GZ250

Sebastian Fl
Reply #7 - 03/05/12 at 06:19:49

I have 4800 on mine and the front has another thousand or so. Rear is getting closer.

I agree with Serobot, give the shop a chance to beat your online price first.

2007 2/3 spacer, 150 main, 55 pilot, dyna muffler, K&N box, cateye tail, mustang fender bib, GZ250 seat.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #8 - 03/05/12 at 06:41:25

Metzler - I get about 24k on a front.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 03/05/12 at 09:23:15

Handling slowly goes in the toilet as the tire goes away. Youll be much happier when you get a fresh skin on it. Is yours all cupped up? Mine looked like it had been scalloped by a machine. Handled like it had been rubbed down with owl poop.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #10 - 03/05/12 at 10:14:00

jog2 - No, no cupping, just worn in the middle.

youzguys - That's incredible!

Everybody - Thanks. Anyone else want to chime in on brand choice? I can be a real tightwad, but I don't mind paying for good stuff, and from what I've read Metzler is the way to go. All input is sincerely appreciated.

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 03/05/12 at 10:45:03

Go to motorcycle superstores they have all the brands there and a lot reviews on them.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #12 - 03/05/12 at 11:02:18

I got 14K+ on both factory IRCs.  The back was down to the bars but the only reason I changed the front was to keep them match and the fact the front had a little bit of weather checking.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #13 - 03/05/12 at 13:31:40

got all my stuff on line and took it to local shop for install - they did not complain - when the tube on the rear got poked with a nail last week i bough the new tube from them because it was cheaper and faster than on line - it all evens out in the end and they get some business and hopefully develop a relationship with the bike owner so they keep coming back for other things

mileage 8K rear tire 11k front tire now at 3k & 2K on the replacement Kenda Challengers and looking good.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #14 - 03/05/12 at 13:37:11

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/05/12 at 09:23:15:
Handling slowly goes in the toilet as the tire goes away. Youll be much happier when you get a fresh skin on it. Is yours all cupped up? Mine looked like it had been scalloped by a machine. Handled like it had been rubbed down with owl poop.

Justin, I appreciate your experience in these matters, because I know you have tried a lot of methods. Just how do you know about tires handling like they were rubbed down with owl poop?  Grin  And in your studies, what kind of poop did you find to be the best handling?   Cheesy

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 15:51:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › front tire mileage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.