Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
What's yer' biggest wild goose chase?... (Read 316 times)
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
What's yer' biggest wild goose chase?...
03/02/12 at 22:36:05

I just related a story in the Rubbersisde...
Me, trying to hunt down a mechanical problem, and coming to a drastically wrong diagnosis...
Point is,.. most of us, old timers, weren't born naturals... we learned by making a lot of mistakes...
Here's my favourite....
What's yours?....
Quote:
(I learned my lesson on my first Metro... when I tried everything to get her started, and found no compression, and decided she needed a new motor...  Then, without even looking, my backyard mechanic buddy, told me I'd been trying so hard, for so long, that I had washed the cylinders of their oil compression seal with raw gas, and lost compression...  He oiled cylinders and cleared a small bug from the throttle body... and she ran perfect)...  He charged me $20 for about 15 minutes.... I gave him $40....
Not my first time,... but the one that taught me my lesson...
Point is,.. a tiny bug made think I needed a new motor....

Shoot!... I paid $65 to get the car towed to him... wasn't about to pay only $20 for him to fix it...  
Too humiliating...

Hoping for some funny stories here,...
...or, at least a couple... to make me feel not so dumb...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: What's yer' biggest wild goose chase?...
Reply #1 - 03/02/12 at 22:47:34

TRailer lites crapped out on the wifes car. Did all I could to figure it out, replaced the module, about $60.00. Found a blown fuse  after I had it swapped out. I still have the old one.. For all I know, it IS bad,, but I would have liked finding the fuse a few minutes earlier. That may not be the biggest one, Ill think about it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 03/03/12 at 07:06:13

bought a new 12 volt domestic water pump for my pop up camper thinkin it was a bad pressure switch.
ended up bein a bad fitting at the faucet..will see if i did a better job winterizing this year
gave the perfectly good "old" pump to a friend who uses it at his hunting cabin

under $100 mistake(s)

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 03/03/12 at 07:21:37

Ive totally shafted myself many times working around the house. Built myself bear traps & stepped right in them, wasted materials & time, built substandard ( Not in structural strenght, but maybe my stuff just isnt as pretty) stuff & had to just live with it, but the $$$ Ive saved by doing as many things as I can do has saved me many thousands. So now when I screw myself, I dont get too wound up over it. I look at the guys who cant change a light switch or do their own brakes & wonder how the heck can they make enough $$$ to hire people to take care of all of lifes little things that have to get done,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #4 - 03/03/12 at 07:38:15

Most recently I was trying to fit a too-big-but-free refrigerator in our kitchen.  My wife measured before accepting it, said it would fit in the hole.. it didn't. I didn't realize that until I'd spent 4 hours huffing it into the house.  So I decided to redo the ceramic tile and plane down the cabinets with a hand planer. I did all that, making a gawdawful mess of dust in the kitchen and just about destroying the planer when the drop cloth got spooled up in it (cuz I was trying to contain the dust, ha ha). Finally got that sorted out and the cabinet bay wide enough to accept the 'fridge, so I thought.  I go to push it in there and the STINKING FRIDGE HAS A WHEAT BELLY, GOD DAMMIT!!!!  Yes, this apparently rectangular, LG fridge bulges out in the middle.  So out it comes and again with the dust storm... which now includes me grinding my fresh tile job with a sander.  Trying a 3rd time to push the fridge in there, I realized that I underestimated the extend of its deformity and it still did not go all the way in.  So it sits a few extra inches out from the wall, and that is where it will sit.  I meant to do it that way.. uh yeah.. for good ventilation.  Cool

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 03/03/12 at 08:04:44

The home theater system quit in the middle of a movie.
First thought -power failure. Nope
Second thought- fuse- went down stairs and pulled the fuse and checked with a meter- good.
Third thought-outlet- checked with above mentioned meter- 117 volts.
Fourth thought- power bar. Everything is plugged in, check with meter- no power. Go downstairs, search through my box of electrical stuff for another one, no luck. Cannibalize one from computer, hook it up, and finish watching movie. Next day, trip to Home Depot for a new bar. Installed in computer system.
Upon troubleshooting the old one I happened to notice..... it had been turned off.......$%##*&^ cat must have stepped on it. Angry

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 03/03/12 at 08:24:53

Boule’tard wrote on 03/03/12 at 07:38:15:
Most recently I was trying to fit a too-big-but-free refrigerator in our kitchen.  My wife measured before accepting it, said it would fit in the hole.. it didn't. I didn't realize that until I'd spent 4 hours huffing it into the house.  So I decided to redo the ceramic tile and plane down the cabinets with a hand planer. I did all that, making a gawdawful mess of dust in the kitchen and just about destroying the planer when the drop cloth got spooled up in it (cuz I was trying to contain the dust, ha ha). Finally got that sorted out and the cabinet bay wide enough to accept the 'fridge, so I thought.  I go to push it in there and the STINKING FRIDGE HAS A WHEAT BELLY, GOD DAMMIT!!!!  Yes, this apparently rectangular, LG fridge bulges out in the middle.  So out it comes and again with the dust storm... which now includes me grinding my fresh tile job with a sander.  Trying a 3rd time to push the fridge in there, I realized that I underestimated the extend of its deformity and it still did not go all the way in.  So it sits a few extra inches out from the wall, and that is where it will sit.  I meant to do it that way.. uh yeah.. for good ventilation.  Cool

Trying a 3rd time to push the fridge in there, I realized that I underestimated the extend of its deformity and it still did not go all the way in.

HO--LEE CRappola! I woulda got just as snake bit, glad it was someone else,, I hope you can laff about it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 03/03/12 at 08:26:10

Art,, I keep trying to tell people & they just wont listen,, Cats are the Devil,, pure evil.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #8 - 03/03/12 at 08:27:12

Part two:
Years ago I was downstairs in the music room listening to the stereo. The cat (a different one) came tearing out of the furnace room screaming. She had a 2 1/2 inch diameter patch of fur AND SKIN missing on her right side. You could see the musculature of her side. Quick trip to the vet and was told either surgery to close the wound,($450) or bandaging twice a day with artificial skin, polysporin and gauze, until the wound grew closed on it's own. I chose the latter. Poor choice - the cost of artificial skin, polysporin and gauze, for the 7 months it took to heal, was more than the surgery would have cost.
To this day I can only guess how she got burned. I searched everything that might get hot and found no fur or skin. The only two things she might have possibly come in contact with that could have burned her were the bottom of the gas hot water heater, or the power tubes of my amplifier, which get quite hot.
I never found out for sure what happened to her. Huh

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 03/03/12 at 08:37:11

Here's one that I'm famous for at my old workplace...

I was doing an outdoor sound set-up for a band on a concrete plaza,... everything pretty much set, when they roll out an upright piano,.. and I run up screaming, "Don't roll it over the snake!" (That's a bundle of about 100 wires that carry all the stage mics offstage to the mixer...
So, while I'm panicking and trying to find a group of husky volunteers to lift this 1,000 pound piano over the snake, one of the guys rolling the piano just lifts the snake wire up and rolls the piano under it...
Yup,.. I'm famous for that... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #10 - 03/03/12 at 08:59:43

Part three:
I had a set of new tires put on the Land cruiser at Canadian Tire. Everthing was fine for a year, until I had the tires rotated front to back. Then the 4WD wouldn't work- it wouldn't engage. I thought the front differential had packed it in (an $1800repair), so I quit using 4WD. Had the tires rotated again a year later and low and behold- the 4WD worked again. In the mean time the front axle started leaking oil because the seals had dried out from lack of use of 4WD. I finally took it in to the dealer (for front brakes, actually) and was informed that one of the tires was a size smaller than the other three. When it was on the front the difference in diameter would cause the 4WD not to engage.
Bottom line: rear diff rebuilt, as it was constantly rotating like I was going around a corner and it wore out the pinions. Oil seals replaced on the front, along with some bearings. And new calipers, pads and rotors on the front. Total cost: $2800. I went to Canadian Tire and was told by the service manager that because I had driven with the odd sized tire for 2 1/2 years I was SOL- no warranty. I went over his head and eventually got two tires replaced under the pro rated warranty. Then the belts separated on the older two tires and the service manager told me to take my problems somewhere else- he no longer wanted my business. I took them to another Canadian Tire and the service manager there replaced all four tires for $78, again under the pro rated warranty.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #11 - 03/03/12 at 09:10:50

Part four: summed up in two words...... kill switch. Embarrassed

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #12 - 03/03/12 at 09:20:57

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/03/12 at 08:26:10:
Art,, I keep trying to tell people & they just wont listen,, Cats are the Devil,, pure evil.

Difference between cats and dogs:
Dogs think that you are the center of their universe...
Cats think that they are the center of your universe.
Once a person figures this out they will get along fine with both. Grin

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #13 - 03/03/12 at 09:40:02

arteacher wrote on 03/03/12 at 09:10:50:
Part four: summed up in two words...... kill switch. Embarrassed

I bet that its safe to say that the "kill switch" has gotten a lot of us at least once.
Check engine light came on in my Jeep Liberty and the code said that the fuel system vacuum pump was bad. Luckily I double checked before dropping the fuel tank and buying an expensive pump. Ended up that I knocked a vacuum hose off while changing spark plugs.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #14 - 03/03/12 at 19:16:29

Friend of mine died, so when his wife asked me to look at his guns to determine their value. I said ok. A nice little .32 auto Guiccione? Cardone had a spot of rust, so I offered to take it home and check out the insides for rust. One button and it literally comes apart in your hands. Couldn't see how it fell apart so took a little try and fail to get it back together. Then I couldn't pull the trigger. Iknow, I know. Some of you already got it. After the fith time of putting it together it was fairly easy, but it's hard to panic a 58 yr old like I might have been years ago. I just laid it down on the rag I had cleaned it with RIGHT NEXT TO THE MAGAZINE and decided to think awhile. DOH! Stuck the mag in, pulled the trigger about 10 times and e-mailed a good friend in Alabama who would get a chuckle from it. For our gun impaired reader, it's called a magazine safety.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 13:42:59

General CategoryThe Cafe › What's yer' biggest wild goose chase?...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.