Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
What's yer' biggest wild goose chase?... (Read 316 times)
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: What's yer' biggest wild goose chase?...
Reply #15 - 03/03/12 at 23:19:07

arteacher wrote on 03/03/12 at 09:20:57:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/03/12 at 08:26:10:
Art,, I keep trying to tell people & they just wont listen,, Cats are the Devil,, pure evil.

Difference between cats and dogs:
Dogs think that you are the center of their universe...
Cats think that they are the center of your universe.
Once a person figures this out they will get along fine with both. Grin

dogs have owners
cats have staff   Cheesy

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #16 - 03/04/12 at 10:19:27

Sticking to our friend, the Suzuki Savage, I had a problem last summer with the idle speed randomly increasing on its own, for no apparent reason. It would eventually go back down on its own. Then back up a while later, and so on. I posted a thread in RSD, got a few responses, but never did figure it out. Rode it that way all summer. This winter, along with other repairs and such, I vowed to figure it out. One day I sat there disassembling my way down to removing the carb. Seat off, Tank off, battery and box out, etc. etc.. Pulled the carb and was about to start tearing it down for yet another rebuild. Then I look at the little rubber vacuum plug I had put on when I decided to run it on prime, until I bought a Raptor. Dammed if it wasn't dry rotted and cracked, top to bottom in about 4 places. VACUUM LEAK !! Put it all back together with new plug in place and it runs like a boss again. I will now carry in my pocket no less than 3 extra plugs when riding.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 03/04/12 at 10:59:26

drums1 wrote on 03/04/12 at 10:19:27:
rubber vacuum plug I had put on when I decided to run it on prime, until I bought a Raptor. Dammed if it wasn't dry rotted and cracked, top to bottom in about 4 places. VACUUM LEAK !!

Yup,.. rubber, for some reason, never lasts on that tap...
Find a screw that will tap down that hole, or plug it with a wood dowel... Something solid... and it will never bother you again... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #18 - 03/04/12 at 11:02:50

Ya, it does sit right next to the jug. Lots of heat.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #19 - 03/04/12 at 15:22:18

Umm, yeah, I have a brand new voltage regulator for my Savage on a shelf because I was tired and frustrated after a long week of various trials and tribulations and just neglected my basic electrical/electronic troubleshooting and jumped to conclusions.  After I got a decent night's sleep, I found and replaced the bad connector after the part had shipped and before it was received.  Oh well.  I got a decent price on it and I'm sure I'll need it some day.   Embarrassed

And JOG's descriptions of various ill-conceived or ill-executed projects just sounds all too familiar.  If I think about it much I'll start to remember too many misadventures I've spent a lot of time forgetting.

Edited to correct a spelling error I spotted later.

« Last Edit: 03/05/12 at 07:31:04 by Savage_Rob »  

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 03/04/12 at 16:05:04

If I think about it much I'll start to remember too many misadventures I've spent a lot of time forgetting.

Aaaaamen Brother..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #21 - 03/04/12 at 16:40:58

I am glad I have no stories like those to tell.

You believe that, right, right?

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #22 - 03/04/12 at 17:22:25

prechermike wrote on 03/04/12 at 16:40:58:
I am glad I have no stories like those to tell.

You believe that, right, right?

Sure I do...  
You're 12... Right?... Huh...

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #23 - 03/05/12 at 03:29:56

I already had stories like that when I was 12. Huh

It seems l remember something about a dead battery, mostly good results when I checked everything, battery, rectifier, stator, connections and so forth.  Those random things are tough to figure out.

But I did it.  Bought a battery tender, use it every so often and the battery stays good now, mostly.  Wink

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 03/05/12 at 09:19:36

I remember trying to work out what could be wrong with old cars I had when I was young. I lost a battery,, so, got a new one, a few days later, it was crapped out, cuz the regulator wasnt firing the alternator & charging the battery, so, Id get another battery & a regulator, just to find it was the alternator,,There was a couple times I just replaced all 3 before I learned some "How to figure out whats wrong" stuff,, been so long I nearly forgot,, gee, thanks for the thread, now I feel stewpid, again. ,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #25 - 03/05/12 at 09:58:10

I was trying to fix the temperature gauge in my Metro about two years ago,...
...by laying on the seat with my legs sticking out the door, and wedging my head under the brake pedal,.. I was able to wiggle my left arm up under the dash and touch the gauge, but I couldn't push the connector... after about ten minutes of trying, I decided to give up.  
That's when I discovered that my arm was stuck up there...
20 more minutes of wiggling,.. and I was still stuck.  
I had the portable phone on the passenger seat and spent the next 20 minutes trying to kick my shoes off and use my feet maneuver the phone over to my right hand... No luck... (Don't know who I would have called if I'd managed it anyway)...
So,. I returned my escape artist contortions, but this time with my legs somehow in the area of the passenger side dashboard.  I guess I got better leverage that way, because I eventually managed to get my head out from under the brake pedal which released my arm and I got out...
All by myself.... a proud moment...  Huh...

The gauge is still broke... Huh...

I don't need that gauge anyway...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 03/05/12 at 10:03:01

That one would hafta stay busted, Id hang a new one under the dash,,or on top O the dash, but calling the fire department to come help you get loose from the car would just stink,. Im guessing access to the gauge by taking some of the dash loose isnt a good option? Seems most dashes are assembled like a top secret Chinese puzzle, getting them apart in such a manner as to make it possible to reassemble is a challenge.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #27 - 03/05/12 at 13:20:35

I restored a '37 Enfield when I was 15 in the basement. Had it all together, gas in the tank, and was trying to fix a leak in the primary chain cover with my legs under the bike. It fell over on me, and I couldn't push it off. Gas leaked all over me. My parents were out, so I lay there for a while. I heard them come home so I started hollering that I was stuck. My mom came down the stairs, which I was under, with a lit cigarette in her mouth with a couple of inches of ash on the end. fortunately the ash stayed on the end, and my dad came down and helped get the bike off me. I was red for 3 days where  the gas had made contact with my skin.
Probably lost a brain cell or two as well. Grin

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #28 - 03/05/12 at 13:48:59

Then there was the time I lost oil pressure on a car when I was a teen. I towed it home, and being the great mechanic I was--No, no, I really was a great mechanic,  Grin I dropped the oil pan. It had to be the oil pump. Just as I dropped the pan I looked over to the side of the block and saw a sending unit wire blowing in the breeze.  Embarrassed

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 03/06/12 at 18:10:17

You were young enough to call that a learning experience,, It hurts when yer 30+ YEARS OLD & build a bear trap & then step in it. Its a fine story, tho,, Ill bet you talked bad a few minutes,, & if I had been there, Ill bet I woulda laffed longer than you cussed..

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 13:36:19

General CategoryThe Cafe › What's yer' biggest wild goose chase?...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.