Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Front brake issues. (Read 239 times)
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Front brake issues.
02/26/12 at 19:53:34

So I'm still in the slow progressing process of rebuilding my 1997 savage.. recently got all the body parts back on excluding the carburetor and when I went to use the front brake I couldn't get it to do anything at all.

No pressure in the handle and the front brake doesn't activate at all.

So we drained the bit(resevoir?) with the brake fluid in it and bled the brake but nothing changed when we did this.

The bike has not been ran in 5+ years due to my uncle leaving it next to a trailer after he bought it off us years back..

We looked online at other sites(couldn't find anything on here) and some people suggested disconnecting the hose from the resevoir and placing my finger over the hole and pumping the brake.. but I wasn't sure what I was looking for and nothing happened.

If pictures or anything I can do answer questions will help please let me know.. I'm very eager to get this work in progress running again >.<

Also, on a side not.. we can't figure out how to reconnect the carburetor   after removing it for a rebuild Embarrassed we have it on the bike but two hoses (i think) come off the carburetor and connect to other sections of the bike.. and I don't want to screw something up by getting the hoses mixed up.. a diagram or if it's easily explainable would help a ton and I'd greatly appreciate it Smiley  After these two issues are sorted and assuming the rebuild worked the bike should finally be finished and ready to ride Happy

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Front brake issues.
Reply #1 - 02/26/12 at 20:40:46

If the reservoir had fluid in it at the beginning, that was not the cause of your brake not working.  More likely the caliper needs rebuilding.  A good hard squeeze may have broken it free.  But now that you have now fluid in it, take it a part and clean it.

Here's the carb tech post for the hose routing...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1098869040

WWW   IP Logged
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/27/12 at 05:24:18

Okay, I'll give that a shot tonight that thank you Smiley

Thanks also for the diagram, made it simple lol.

Also, what SHOULD the rubber diaphragm in the reservoir look like?
Mine looks nothing at all like the one in this posting
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1177184106/13

Mine is all pushed downward and looks warped.

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #3 - 02/27/12 at 11:36:20

That rubber gasket should sit flat. If it's warped, chances are it got some oil on it at some point. Pull it out and see if it lays flat. It could have gotten sucked down in there as the fluid goes down. If it stays warped, it needs to be replaced. If it got oil soaked, then all the rubber parts in the brake system need to be replaced. Oil tends to make rubber turn gummy, and it will warp. Hopefully, that is not the case here. If it lays flat, then just fill up the master and bleed the system, keeping the master full as you go.

IP Logged
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/27/12 at 12:53:59

No lol... it's very warped.  when it's put into the master cylinder it just pushes the fluid out like its over filled.  Definitely needs to be replaced.. I'll take the caliper apart this afternoon and see if anything else is damaged.  Thanks guys Smiley

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #5 - 02/27/12 at 15:15:12

Ya, you need to replace that gasket, if not the whole master cylinder. Also the rubber brake hose/line, and the caliper. Caliper may be able to rebuild with new parts, might be almost as much money as a new caliper. Or a good used one. Anything that has rubber parts in it. And then you need to do a good flush and bleed. Then you should have brakes again. Good luck.

IP Logged
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/01/12 at 12:43:18

Ok so it turns out no oil got into the master cylinder... I just wasn't aware it appeared to be sucked down.. I just popped it into its correct form and it looks alright.

Took the caliper off and everything APPEARED alright.. but still no pressure in the brake lever.  

Could the piece in the master cylinder (listed as #2 in this link http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/4007-suzuki-1997-savage-ls650p/ass...) need to be replaced for one reason or another?  

Any suggestions would be great Smiley

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 03/02/12 at 09:27:51

If it were me,...
I'd pull the caliper,..remove the master cylinder cover,.. then gently compress the brake piston using a c-clamp (watch the master fluid level while you do this, it will rise and may overflow)... Then put the master cyl. cap back on, remove the clamp, and gently squeeze the lever (may take a few pumps, but go slow),.. and see if the piston pushes out...
If it won't push out after several pumps, something is wrong...
If it does pump,.. put it all back together and pump the lever a bunch of times to pump it up... Bunches!...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 03/02/12 at 19:31:42

Sounds like a good plan from here..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 03/02/12 at 21:17:05

Great minds, JOG... great minds, think alike... Wink...
... ('course,... so do retarded sheep)...
...so that's a wash...  Huh...

But,.. we're simpatico... either way... Smiley...

A. Most basic tests
B. Most simplest/cheapest solution
C. Then,... if it ain't the easy stuff,.. feel safe in moving on...
... but, never go deep, 'till you've scanned the surface...

Nothing makes you feel lower,.. than, seeking a big solution, to a little problem...

(I learned my lesson on my first Metro... when I tried everything to get her started, and found no compression, and decided she needed a new motor...  Then, without even looking, my backyard mechanic buddy, told me I'd been trying so hard, for so long, that I had washed the cylinders of their oil compression seal with raw gas, and lost compression...  He oiled cylinders and cleared a small bug from the throttle body... and she ran perfect)...  He charged me $20 for about 15 minutes.... I gave him $40....
Not my first time,... but the one that taught me my lesson...
Point is,.. a tiny bug made think I needed a new motor....

Excuse my rambling... it's not always the simple thing,... but often as not...

Best luck, Zeke... keep us apprised...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/03/12 at 11:14:20

Tried what you said and nothing happened... When we compressed that part of the caliper (technical name lol?) it cause the brake fluid in the master cylinder to bubble but it didn't over flow (it's probably just low on fluid).. Everything looks in order so I'm at a total loss >.< I'm contemplating just going flinstone to bring the bike to a stop when I'm riding lol.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 03/03/12 at 12:31:21

It bubbled because the line was full of air, be my guess.. Have you cracked the bleeder & put a hoe on it into a container & just walked away?
If the fluid startd dropping, make sure & keep it full.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #12 - 03/03/12 at 12:42:57

One more time: Put a clear hose long enough to reach the master cylinder on the slightly opened bleeder screw. Hold the loose end of the hose in the m/c reservoir under the fluid level & squeeze the brake lever until you have a solid stream of fluid in the hose. Do not let the free end come out of the fluid while you're doing this. Once there are no bubbles in the hose, close the bleeder & using a rag remove your bleeder hose, first at m/c, then at bleeder. If you do this right, you won't have a mess to clean up & you will have the firmest brake ever.

Works every time for me..... Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 03/03/12 at 13:15:19

Front master cylinder rebuild kit--$35..

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
Zeke342

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 03/03/12 at 13:57:38

Awesome, got it working great Cheesy after we get it on the road and such should I take it easy on the brakes for awhile?  Probably should anyways considering the bike hasn't been started in a very long time >.<

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 07:27:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front brake issues.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.