Send Topic Print
synthetic oil? (Read 1868 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: synthetic oil?
Reply #75 - 02/28/12 at 21:44:32

With regard to ZDDP issues, the API SM/ILSAC GF-4 engine oil category calls for reduced Zinc and Phosphorus levels to allow extended catalyst life in current model vehicles. & everybody knows catalysts are much more important than engines.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #76 - 02/29/12 at 02:46:13

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 02/28/12 at 16:23:36:

Built2last, you said you liked Castrol GTX too, you all happy with this one "as shown" -- about ready to rest your rifle on it and to start the shoot'n?

Nah, I'm sticking with Rot T6 for the time being.. synthetics = more HP

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #77 - 02/29/12 at 04:47:41

Quote:

I think not... If your gonna use a Rotella dino oil (white jug T1?) 100K without a change in a heavy duty diesel engine, your gonna have a piece of junk after that 100K.... You may like that Rotty oil, but it aint that good... Cool

Single sump contests ...  Truckers

I agree it's pushing a dino based oil way more than I'd care to do  (I'd use Rot Syn) but you have to understand a few truckerish things that make it possible.  

First, big 18 wheelers get a lot of miles put on them in a month.  100,000 miles isn't a lot of months for an open road truck driven continuously by a two man team.

rough truck math 100,000 miles / 65 mph = 1,539 road hours = 65 double teamed road days

Second, oil and air filtration on a big rig involves both primary and secondary filtration systems that remove junk down to the sub-micron level.   Big rigs also commonly use secondary bypass oil filtration systems that continuously microfine filter the entire sump over a period of hours.   And to a trucker, the oil itself is considered good until shear numbers or silica build up numbers or antifreeze contaminants say you have to change it out.

Third, most big truck stops can do a short form oil analysis on your sump load of oil while you are showering and eating.   Truckers don't fly blind on the oil in their bread and butter machine.   At 15 gallons per oil change, they change it when it needs it (by analysis).  

Truckers also don't risk a $10,000 engine (rebuilt cost) unnecessarily.  

Lastly, when truckers do oil mileage pissing contests, the numbers are much much higher and they tend to play those games with the premium synthetics.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #78 - 02/29/12 at 05:08:16

Where does the rotella claim the flat tappet use.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #79 - 02/29/12 at 05:35:12

Bill, you gotta try harder than that ....  

Rotella doesn't have to make claims for their oil      (everybody else does it for them)

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=002683415331144861350%3Atsq8didf9x0&q=rotella+fl...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #80 - 02/29/12 at 05:56:57

Flat tappets will alway be flat tappets with 0 wear Klotz oil,With rotella oil they will become concaved tappets.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #81 - 02/29/12 at 06:48:45

Grin

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=002683415331144861350%3Atsq8didf9x0&q=rotella+fl...

Bill, this is the exact same search that got the 1,580 hits with Rotella, except I substituted Klotz for Rotella --- yielding only 35 hits total with 2 hits that actually talk about Klotz and tappets, with one of those being from Klotz own web pages.

Not many folks are buying your red koolaid and talking about it and flat tappets on the web, apparently.

..... and when you actually read the stuff inside the 35 hits, Klotz gets mentioned and Rotella gets recommended.  Sad, ain't it?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #82 - 02/29/12 at 07:04:54

OF why doesn't Suzuki recommend Diesel oil instead of motorcycle oil,Don't they know the slightest thing about motorcycles.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #83 - 02/29/12 at 07:29:50

Dear Bill,

I know it hurts your feelings, but the Japanese Standards Organization (of which Suzuki Motor Co., Ltd is a proud member) clearly recommends Rotella diesel oils for use in their motorcycle engines.

It sez so right on the JASO MA MA2 rating label.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #84 - 02/29/12 at 08:12:29

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 02/29/12 at 04:47:41:
Quote:

I think not... If your gonna use a Rotella dino oil (white jug T1?) 100K without a change in a heavy duty diesel engine, your gonna have a piece of junk after that 100K.... You may like that Rotty oil, but it aint that good... Cool

I agree it's pushing a dino based oil way more than I'd care to do  (I'd use Rot Syn) but you have to understand a few truckerish things that make it possible.  

First, big 18 wheelers get a lot of miles put on them in a month.  100,000 miles isn't a lot of months for an open road truck driven continuously by a two man team.

rough truck math 100,000 miles / 65 mph = 1,539 road hours = 65 double teamed road days

Second, oil and air filtration on a big rig involves both primary and secondary filtration systems that remove junk down to the sub-micron level.   Big rigs also commonly use secondary bypass oil filtration systems that continuously microfine filter the entire sump over a period of hours.   And to a trucker, the oil itself is considered good until shear numbers or silica build up numbers or antifreeze contaminants say you have to change it out.

Third, most big truck stops can do a short form oil analysis on your sump load of oil while you are showering and eating.   Truckers don't fly blind on the oil in their bread and butter machine.   At 15 gallons per oil change, they change it when it needs it (by analysis).  

Lastly, when truckers do oil mileage pissing contests, the numbers are much much higher and they tend to play those games with the premium synthetics.

I think I understand a few "truckerish" things being raised in heavy hauling most of my life... I don't know of one owner operator who would run a dino oil 100K+, now a quality synthetic, maybe, but only with regular filter changes, and oil analysis. 10K is a very conservative cost for todays engines, 20K is about right... A good driver can keep his oil clean for longer periods by keeping a gentle foot (holding down soot levels), but even with a bypass oil filtration system, your going to build up acids much quicker in  dino based oil... Ten K was the limit to a dino oil in my day.. Also you have to figure every filter change is costing 2-5 gallons of oil.. Rottela would be the last choice in any of my trucks...

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #85 - 02/29/12 at 09:41:22

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 02/29/12 at 07:29:50:
Dear Bill,

I know it hurts your feelings, but the Japanese Standards Organization (of which Suzuki Motor Co., Ltd is a proud member) clearly recommends Rotella diesel oils for use in their motorcycle engines.

It sez so right on the JASO MA MA2 rating label.

That only means it will work with a wet clutch ,that doesn't mean they recommend it.OF I hate to be hurting your feelings but that don't hold water.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #86 - 02/29/12 at 09:42:54

Retread wrote on 02/29/12 at 08:12:29:
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 02/29/12 at 04:47:41:
Quote:

+1

I think I understand a few "truckerish" things being raised in heavy hauling most of my life... I don't know of one owner operator who would run a dino oil 100K+, now a quality synthetic, maybe, but only with regular filter changes, and oil analysis. 10K is a very conservative cost for todays engines, 20K is about right... A good driver can keep his oil clean for longer periods by keeping a gentle foot (holding down soot levels), but even with a bypass oil filtration system, your going to build up acids much quicker in  dino based oil... Ten K was the limit to a dino oil in my day.. Also you have to figure every filter change is costing 2-5 gallons of oil.. Rottela would be the last choice in any of my trucks...

+ONE

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #87 - 02/29/12 at 12:07:53

Retread,  Bill likes you.  You got your mortar working correctly and got one off and he has done run out of mortar rounds long long ago.   Bill makes no real points any more and cannot seem to find any real information, so his +1 means a lot when it shows up under your post -- he's rooting fer ya.   Keep it up !!!

Bill, Suzuki recommends Suzuki oil (duh!)

Retread, 10,000 miles / 65mph / 24 hrs = 6.4 open road days.  

I doubt many people ever played the oil change game out to 100,000 miles with a dino oil very often (it was a braggin' rights stunt and was likely very carefully done) but I also doubt that truckers go around changing out their oil every week, even back in the day when you were driving.

And I did say (rebuilt) as in cost to do a good cylinder, pistons, mains, rods and upper end job, not like buying a new motor which most truckers don't do since they generally keep a fresh rebuilt motor around.

Keep on shooting guys, eventually you will get around to your Castrol GTX oil to say something good it does in a Savage engine.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #88 - 02/29/12 at 12:51:12

The S40 engine is so in love with rotella oil their going to get married,and guess who the best man is, Oldfeller himself.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
dozerman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #89 - 02/29/12 at 14:51:16

Wow. I almost.feel bad for asking.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:14:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › synthetic oil?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.