Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: synthetic oil?
Reply #105 - 03/01/12 at 08:06:56

No, but $15 a quart Amisol is what the newbie picked.  It was the only oil he had confidence in that met the conflicting requirements of the Savage engine to his satisfaction.   And with its published specs -- it is arguably the best oil out there (just very expensive).

You are right about getting men to change their minds -- we tend to be set in our ways and stubborn.

Retread, you understood the opposing points and shrugged some of them off.  Which is fine, you made valid points right back and you moved your position when something convinced you and it was a good discussion that was worth having.  

Oil is important to our semi-antique motorcycle engine, which is why we go through oil wars several times a year --- we keep getting new people and they will all watch & read the big oil war fuss because it is fun
(and they soak up some education along the way).

I am not sure Feelinjunky ever really connected that car oils have changed to suit 2010-12 cars and the current crop of car oils simply don't fit our old bike engine any more.   He still feels he can put 2 quarts of anything in there and be just fine long term.   I hope he is.

Anyhow, our newbie got his oil question answered and he picked a good one (arguably the best one out there).

Men do love an oil war, sometimes we even learn a little bit out of them.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #106 - 03/01/12 at 09:14:26

Well, some people may WANT engine damage in the "long term." Hence why I said "use any oil you WANT."

If someone really wants to be technical and say "Does that include olive oil that I cook my food with?" my answer is: Well, that IS an oil! If that's what you want to use, no one is stopping you.

Some people just can't read on this forum...

Rotella, klutz, mobile1 castrol...use what brand you want as long as you think it's suitable for the motor.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #107 - 03/01/12 at 09:36:43

It's like I woke up on Groundhog day with the strangest sense of deja-Vu.... Haven't I read all this somewhere before? Now let me think... where's my glass of Kool-Aid?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #108 - 03/01/12 at 09:52:45

Teabowl, wuz it you that set off that oil war two oil wars in front of this one?

Grin   Grin   Grin

Yep, same deja vu every year.   Same points, same shocked disbelief.    

My "you name it favorite oil brand name" wouldn't do that to me jest 'cause the guvment told them to  -- I have always trusted "you name it favorite oil brand name" fer over 40 years.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #109 - 03/01/12 at 11:44:14

I guess that Red Line breakin additive really solves a lot of  issues associated with our scoots. A good Jaso MA oil coupled with a shot of ZDDP should be a good elixir for what ails ye bike. Personally, I'll keep using Rotella T6, as long as I can find it.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #110 - 03/01/12 at 11:51:10

The problem with using a diesel oil its designed for low rpm engines,Most diesel engines don't run over 4000 rpm.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #111 - 03/01/12 at 12:53:46

You guys don't want to get all hung up over that ZDDP booster, the only reason I used it temporarily was to make sure a $250 hot cam grind was happy for the first 500 miles as per Web Cam's recommendation to the distributor (Lancer).  To be honest, they recommended a dino racing oil but it was easy to back the ZDDP back out by checking the amounts in the recommended oil.

For a stock Savage motor Rotella T has plenty (1,200 ppm) of ZDDP.

And Bill, diesels can rev just fine -- ask any BMW or Audi or VW diesel engine owner.  

But it is interesting that you put the same RPM number out there that the Savage begins to top out at .... were you doing it intentionally jest to make Rotella look better?

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #112 - 03/01/12 at 13:03:28

Hate to be the bearerer of bad news Oldfeller, but Amsoil 10-40 MC oil is 11.55 a QT retail, my price is lower of course..  

All diesels can rev just fine, however reving over a certain RPM is a waste of power, peak torque is usually down there in the RPM range, so turning the higher RPM is just wasting fuel, and engine... All engines have a sweet spot (depending on cam grind and build), the small TDIs are around 2K, this is where you'll get your best mileage..

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #113 - 03/01/12 at 13:57:22

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 03/01/12 at 12:53:46:
You guys don't want to get all hung up over that ZDDP booster, the only reason I used it temporarily was to make sure a $250 hot cam grind was happy for the first 500 miles as per Web Cam's recommendation to the distributor (Lancer).  To be honest, they recommended a dino racing oil but it was easy to back the ZDDP back out by checking the amounts in the recommended oil.

For a stock Savage motor Rotella T has plenty (1,200 ppm) of ZDDP.

And Bill, diesels can rev just fine -- ask any BMW or Audi or VW diesel engine owner.  

But it is interesting that you put the same RPM number out there that the Savage begins to top out at .... were you doing it intentionally jest to make Rotella look better?

Grin

OF your s40 tops out at 4000 rpm,Thats good I wouldn't want to go over 4100-4200 rpm on diesel oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #114 - 03/01/12 at 14:52:36

That's right Bill, I am jest a pokey 'ol Grandpa on a puny antique silver Grandma one lung motorsickle ....  pitiful, to be sure.

Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin

I work hard at that image, makes it hurt worse when pokey 'ol Grandpa passes them on the inside of a turn.

Truth is, my bike revs up until the valves float, just like everybody else's Savage can do if they can get past the stock cam and stock jetting.

Bill, did you replace that bad battery and are you getting ready to ride it some this spring (since it is almost here already)?

Ready to let the red out of it some?    Vrooom ...

Retread says he can get you some Amisol 10W40 for over a dollar less a quart than Klotz costs, are you interested?

Grin

Me, I'll buy a blue gallon jug of T6 for less than the price of two quarts of either one of your two mail-order brides.     and that is without counting the shipping costs, too

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #115 - 03/01/12 at 15:30:20

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 03/01/12 at 09:52:45:

Teabowl, wuz it you that set off that oil war two oil wars in front of this one?

Grin   Grin   Grin

Yep, same deja vu every year.   Same points, same shocked disbelief.    

My "you name it favorite oil brand name" wouldn't do that to me jest 'cause the guvment told them to  -- I have always trusted "you name it favorite oil brand name" fer over 40 years.

NNNOOOOOO!!! That wern't me!! I've read through too many of these for too many years to ever do that...
Have FUN Y'all!!   Grin

IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #116 - 03/01/12 at 16:35:44

How does your Rottelli hold up?

Darn it didn't even make the list? Grin

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #117 - 03/01/12 at 17:29:57

Retread has just broken one of the main rules of oil warfare -- always state your source, give the link to get to it and always explain your graph.

Cp, (since apparently I get to define it) is the Crap Profile index number and if I wuz a guessin' man I would say this is some sort of Amisol test data sheet showing mainly who Amisol considers to be their competitors (in decreasing order of threat level of course).

Now once Retread gives us the link to the real data and we can go check it out, then he will get a real response.

You know, Bill did this to us once -- turns out the information he quoted referred to a 1984 Moto Guzzi but it sure sounded good when he plopped it down the first time.

------  and now that I think about it, you could buy a whole big white gallon jug of Rotella Triple Protection 15w40 on sale for what just one quart of Amisol costs.  

And once Retread explains his graph and where it lives and all, we shall see how it stacks up against that white gallon jug as far as performance and value goes.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #118 - 03/01/12 at 17:48:58

The poise (symbol P, /ˈpɔɪz/) is the unit of dynamic viscosity in the centimetre gram second system of units. It is named after Jean Louis Marie Poiseuille (and not related to the ordinary word poise, even though its meaning might seem connected).

1\ \mbox{P} = 1.00\ \mbox{g}\cdot\mbox{cm}^{-1}\cdot\mbox{s}^{-1}

The analogous unit in the International System of Units is the pascal second (Pa·s):

1\ \mbox{Pa}\cdot\mbox{s} = 1\ \mbox{kg}\cdot \mbox{m}^{-1}\cdot\mbox{s}^{-1} = 10\ \mbox{P}

The poise is often used with the metric prefix centi-. A centipoise is one one-hundredth of a poise, and one millipascal-second (mPa·s) in SI units. (1 cP = 10−2 P = 10−3 Pa·s = 1 mPa·s)

Centipoise is properly abbreviated cP, but the alternative abbreviations cps, cp, and cPs are also commonly seen.

Water has a viscosity of 0.00899 Poise at 25 °C and a pressure of 1 atmosphere. (0.00899 P = 0.899cP = 0.899 mPa·s) [1]

All I gotta say is... I'm underwhelmed by your graph.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #119 - 03/01/12 at 20:00:29

While we wait for Retread to fix his stuff, here is an additional informational nugget which is a section clipped from a long article in Dirt Rider Magazine.

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=146867

The entire article is worth reading as the guy is trying to make a point about JASO being a wet clutch test & gearbox test and that's all -- it doesn't get into valve train wear per se or any other "bike specific" wear item (such as our cam chain issues).  

He kinda sorta slams some of the over-expensive bike oils in the process, but you gotta read the whole thing as the whole article has a pretty good overall balance to it.

When we consider use of engine oil in a racing four stroke dirt bike, we must realize that there are certain factors that must be accounted for. First and foremost is the fact that oil that is used in both the engine and clutch assembly will see far more contamination than any other sort of engine. This contamination that is primarily created by the clutch materials is far more than the detergent/dispersant qualities of any oil can withstand for extended periods. There is simply too much contamination for the oil to handle. And as a result, we must consider changing out the oil on a frequent basis. And changing the oil frequently in a dirt bike can get expensive, especially if you are using high priced oil.

But what about the oils used in diesel engines? These oils are normally the best at providing contamination control. A diesel engine produces lots of carbon and contamination, and the oils used in them have very high levels of detergents and dispersants to fight wear and degradation caused by contamination. These types of oils also typically contain high levels of additives to help protect the metals in the severe-service, high-torque diesel engine.
There really is no such thing as “diesel engine oil”, but rather oils that are formulated for use in a severe service engine that are called “Universal” or “Heavy Duty” engine oils. These oils can carry an additional service category certification for such extreme duties.
The latest service category for heavy duty engine oil applications is the ILSAC (International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee) is the GF4 certification.

Let's compare the two standards, SAE SM standard first, then the GF4 requirements for the diesel heavy duty oils.

14 tests are called for by this standard

Now let’s take a look at what is required of GF4 certified oil, a much more lengthy and rigorous set of requirements.

over 20 tests are called for by this standard

It should be clear to you from the above certification requirements that the GF4 standards are far more stringent than that of either SM or JASO certifications. Heavy duty engine oils are just that…heavy duty. And they are formulated in a way that will serve the needs of four stroke dirt bike engine just fine. This is why we see so much evidence of riders having great luck with the heavy duty engine oils such as Shell Rotella T and Mobil Delvac. Not to mention that the prices of these HDEO’s are very reasonable

.... and the sharp eyed amongst you may have noticed the diesel standard includes measuring real things like stuck rings, piston wear, ring end gap, bearing wear, cam & tappet wear and valve train wear and other real things that the bike oil standards DON'T even mention or address at all.  

And they have to protect at this level for a lot more miles than anyone ever dreams of running a bike oil between changes.

« Last Edit: 03/02/12 at 00:31:57 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:08:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › synthetic oil?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.