Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Tires Feel Different (Read 162 times)
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
New Tires Feel Different
02/23/12 at 10:15:00

Hi all,

I just had my tires replaced (Shinko 712 f/r), and I noticed that the handling of the bike feels a bit weird.  Specifically, the handlebars feel like the lag a bit, and like someone else is controlling them.  I did go one size up on the rear (140/90), but I also think it might be from the bike having larger tires (due to more tread).  

Also, it is noticeably easier to turn the handlebars from side to side.  Probably from the tires being rounder than before.  I should also check the tire pressures.

The other alternative is the mechanic didn't tighten everything to spec...I'm gonna re-tighten the front nuts when I get home.  

Anyone else experience this before?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: New Tires Feel Different
Reply #1 - 02/23/12 at 10:35:48

You should expect quicker steering, because of, as you said, no more flat spot..
That seems contrary to your "lag" comment... but, don't worry, whatever difference you will get used to it..
Be very careful for the first 50 miles or so.. until you wear off the slippery "mold release' coating that comes on new tires...

One more thing,.. check your tire pressure,.. they often over-inflate to seat the tire and then forget to reduce the pressure to spec...
.. around 30psi, depending on weight, is in the ball park...
Wink...

note.. The "lag" you feel, may be additional grip from the fresh rubber instead of old, dead rubber ,.. but, remember, the tires will still be slick for about 50 miles... so careful on the corners... (I sometimes even tie a piece of ribbon around my throttle grip to remind me to take it easy for a while with new meats)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #2 - 02/23/12 at 12:37:15

Last year I replaces my cracked and worn tires with good Avons and holy crap what a difference in handling, it seemed almost like slippery at first but yea you get used to it.

IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #3 - 02/23/12 at 19:01:08

Yeah, I'm definitely riding with awareness that my tires are new.  I'm actually doing little curves in the lane to try to get some wear on the sides of the tires, not just the center.  I'm taking it easy though, because the tires might be more slick right now.

I can't tell if I like this new feeling more, but at least I'm confident that my tires won't blow out from dry rot cracks.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 02/23/12 at 22:13:18

Brand New Tires cost me a Z28.. I had no idea they wouldnt be better in a corner than the old ones,, Understeered across a turn I took 5 days a week, smacked a tree,, Dont push it, feel them out, theyll surely be better than those stock "Black Snot" things,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 02/24/12 at 06:12:23

I've heard of some folks using bleach or other harsh chemicals to strip the slick off of new tires but I wouldn't want to possibly damage mine trying that.  I wash new ones down with Simple Green and I think it helps.  I still take it easy for the first 50 miles or so though.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #6 - 02/24/12 at 11:34:38

I noticed a huge difference when going from worn out stock tires to Metzler tires. Most dealers will err on the side of caution and recommend taking it easy on new tires for the first 100 miles. I found with the Metzler 880 tire that I get better handling if I run recommended air pressure on the sidewall versus what Suzuki recommends for stock tires.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #7 - 02/25/12 at 08:16:47

I just got Metzeler ME 880s too and holy crappity smack I'm impressed at the difference... the dealer price matched them from a site that had them on sale too..

IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 02/25/12 at 09:06:16

Shinko's are good tires (Old Yokohama brand), have gotten good handling and long wear from them, you do have to break em in before getting aggressive with em. Check pressures and steering stem bearings, have seen bad bearings, or loose adjustment cause what your describing...

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:23:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Tires Feel Different

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.