Bamm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks My World
Daily!!

Eden
Re: Steering Lock
Reply #30 - 07/06/12 at 00:20:52

Nice, thank you so much...could you look at your lock and tell me if there is a code on it anywhere?

Bamm

IP Logged
High_Plains_Thumpr
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 07/06/12 at 11:35:43

Bamm,

The code is on a plastic tag that comes with the keys. Without the keys if you don't have that tag, the locksmith cannot fabricate the key. Also, when I checked with a locksmith, the key is a special blank that he didn't have in his catalogs.

Then, the next reasonable thing to do is to replace the lock set. Be sure to save that tag in a secure place, or at least jot the number down in the owner's manual or Clymer's book.

If you have a mechanic friend, it is not hard to replace the cylinder. An experienced locksmith should be able to do it also.

YMMV  Smiley

IP Logged
Bamm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks My World
Daily!!

Eden
Reply #32 - 07/06/12 at 12:48:00

Like my safe right...Oh, Yeah, I have the key but without the book (with the combo in it) I can't open it. Yeah makes me laugh too

Bamm

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #33 - 07/06/12 at 18:46:43

What is the procedure for removing/installing the new lock? I assume the key has to be in it but which way should it be oriented? Does the key turn both ways? I'm attempting to pick mine right now but it would make life much easier if I knew which way the key should be to remove the barrel. Seeing as new ones are $40, I'd much rather salvage this one.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #34 - 07/06/12 at 20:14:46

OK I found it. The key has to be turned to the left and it will release from the tube. Now just to pick the bugger...

IP Logged
Bamm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks My World
Daily!!

Eden
Reply #35 - 07/06/12 at 21:36:44

Okay, my question is...are there any manufactures marks i.e. company name or anything that would identify the type of lock and who makes it?

Bamm

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #36 - 07/06/12 at 21:47:50

It's a Neiman fork lock and it says so on the little cover. There isn't any key code on the lock nor can the dealer supply you with a key code. I'm having a heck of a time picking it but I'm sure a professional locksmith wouldn't have a hard time with it at all. Once the cylinder has been removed, getting a key made to fit it should be fairly easy.

High_Plains_Thumpr wrote on 07/05/12 at 22:02:02:
I fixed this problem of missing key on my 1987 Savage.

Ron Ayer Fische Item #25, Part No. 51900-22662, LOCK SET STEERING, $32.06.

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/STEERING_STEM/MakeID/2/Make/Suzu...

I checked their listing for the latest LS650 (S40) on file, which is for the 2009 year model. It uses the same part number.

I took a drill bit large enough to carefully drill the key hole (1/4"? - did back in 2003  Smiley), causing all the brass tumbler pins to fall out. Now I could extract the lockset more or less per the Clymers manual, and install the new one.
It comes with 2 keys. Now you'll have one for the road and one as a spare.   Smiley

IP Logged
Bamm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks My World
Daily!!

Eden
Reply #37 - 07/06/12 at 23:57:25

I am seriously interested to know how many different uses there are for these bmw cylinder/fork locks. They are put on many different bikes I have found so far and being I am continuously doing research anyway it is no skin off my nose to ad an extra subject of more interest.
While picking by the way, how many pins did you feel?
Bamm

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #38 - 07/07/12 at 00:48:26

There are 5 pins. The most I managed to get are 2. I think I've given up for tonight.

IP Logged
High_Plains_Thumpr
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 07/07/12 at 09:14:01

Cavi Mike wrote on 07/07/12 at 00:48:26:
There are 5 pins. The most I managed to get are 2. I think I've given up for tonight.

Simplist solution is order a new lock set, drill out the key hole large enough so the spring loaded brass tumbler pins fall out. Now, there is nothing to prevent the cylinder from rotation for removal.

This is much, much cheaper than having the dealer or locksmith do it. Now if you are not mechanically inclined or don't have the tools, of course you'd have to pay them for the labor.

YMMV. I replaced mine, and I am a happy camper.  Grin

IP Logged
Bamm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks My World
Daily!!

Eden
Reply #40 - 07/07/12 at 09:50:46

I like to think I am mechanically inclined....I rebuilt my motor, took me two years to get parts I needed but I am riding her now that is why I am in such an excited state of mind. I did it under the oversight of my little brother but I learned a bunch about my own bike, swore a long time ago if I drive it or ride it and it breaks down on me I should not have to call for help I should be able to fix it and get back on the road myself. Daddy started teaching me about tools when I was oh, I guess, about 7. From there on I it was life and lessons teaching me I am the only person I can really ever rely on. SO YUP I AM STOKED TO SAY THE LEAST. And I can wait a bit till I can get a lock, I live in the country so she is parked safely and I have a great dog.

Bamm

IP Logged
High_Plains_Thumpr
Ex Member

Reply #41 - 07/07/12 at 11:54:26

Bamm wrote on 07/07/12 at 09:50:46:
I like to think I am mechanically inclined....I rebuilt my motor, took me two years to get parts I needed but I am riding her now that is why I am in such an excited state of mind. I did it under the oversight of my little brother but I learned a bunch about my own bike, swore a long time ago if I drive it or ride it and it breaks down on me I should not have to call for help I should be able to fix it and get back on the road myself. Daddy started teaching me about tools when I was oh, I guess, about 7. From there on I it was life and lessons teaching me I am the only person I can really ever rely on. SO YUP I AM STOKED TO SAY THE LEAST. And I can wait a bit till I can get a lock, I live in the country so she is parked safely and I have a great dog.

Then kudos to you, Bamm. To go a bit further, I guess you could teach your dog to ride pillion like this rider did.   Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdj67XknFrM

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #42 - 07/07/12 at 13:34:18

Bamm,, I DO consider myself a mechanic,but I have limits. I do not ever want to crack the cases on a bike,,I know enough to know I dont want in there. Im good at working on guns. Ive done the trigger on several, but I looked inside the cover on the Henry lever action 22 & just put it back on,, Im not goin in there..

All that,, just to say this.

My hat is off to you,.. & there was a woman in here from Hawaii,, she hadnt been riding but a few months when she took the forks out & replaced the seals,, I sure miss that gutsy gal.,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #43 - 07/07/12 at 17:14:34

High_Plains_Thumpr wrote on 07/07/12 at 09:14:01:
Cavi Mike wrote on 07/07/12 at 00:48:26:

Simplist solution is order a new lock set, drill out the key hole large enough so the spring loaded brass tumbler pins fall out. Now, there is nothing to prevent the cylinder from rotation for removal.

This is much, much cheaper than having the dealer or locksmith do it. Now if you are not mechanically inclined or don't have the tools, of course you'd have to pay them for the labor.

YMMV. I replaced mine, and I am a happy camper.  Grin

Same here- it was a 1/2 hr job.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Bamm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks My World
Daily!!

Eden
Reply #44 - 07/07/12 at 19:13:18

That is the coolest thing I have ever seen!!!  Nice work teaching Dog, you two make a handsome pair.  I did not however, get into the cases, I did the chain and tensioner first then just double checked everything was tight and no shavings present prior to putting her heart back together. If, I have to go into the bottom then so be it though, i'll cross that bridge when and if I get there. It's all a learning experience for me and I like the grease under my nails on occasion (although not to often) they have to stay pretty too.

Bamm

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:10:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Steering Lock

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.