Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Steering Lock
Reply #15 - 06/22/12 at 15:09:04

I'm sorry you haven't gotten a better answer.  You still have the hidden switch option, which is inexpensive and easy.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 06/22/12 at 17:31:09

Its a lot like the bald guy hunting a comb,, ya dont really need it, not yet, wait till gas hits $5.00 a gallon, then get a lock to put on the front wheel,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #17 - 06/22/12 at 18:14:17

My 2009 OM states the number is stamped on the little plate covering the lock and not on the key, but it is stamped on neither?   However the key says made in Germany by a Co called Neiman.  The operation takes some fiddlin, but OM instructions are:

Turn steering to left lock
Insert and turn key CW to stop
Push in and turn even further CW.
Return key to center and remove.

As far as riding off in the locked position, I don't know of anyone who wouldn't pull the bars straight before starting to ride???  When you are unable to do so, it's a pretty good sign things ain't right!

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 06/22/12 at 18:19:10

As far as riding off in the locked position, I don't know of anyone who wouldn't pull the bars straight before starting to ride???  

Yea, you'd think,, but Ive heard of it bein done,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #19 - 06/22/12 at 19:08:58

It takes an enormous amount of skill to be able to ride a bike without being able to turn the bars. You're either a stunter or a motorbike cop. Some joe-schmoe ain't doing it, I don't believe it for one second. They're stories and that's all they are.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #20 - 06/22/12 at 19:26:42

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/22/12 at 18:19:10:
As far as riding off in the locked position, I don't know of anyone who wouldn't pull the bars straight before starting to ride???  

Yea, you'd think,, but Ive heard of it bein done,

?

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 06/23/12 at 05:39:40

So far I have only used my lock once.  It took about a minute of fiddling around with it to get it to set, it released much easier when I unlocked it.

Maybe with practice it would be easier to set and not need to fiddled with.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #22 - 06/23/12 at 05:48:00

Mine works very well, I used it for the first couple of weeks.  But now I never use it at all.

As far as the key blank for it,  I have a Cole key blank number for ya'll as I don't have any original keys for mine Sad

Cole BN7

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Bamm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks My World
Daily!!

Eden
Reply #23 - 06/23/12 at 09:01:13

Hey SR, Thank you for all of your insight, you helped me more than you know...

Okay, where is the key code location for the steering lock and what kind of key does it take, obviously it is not the same as the ignition.

Beth

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 06/23/12 at 09:10:51

I dont know the answers, but if I had the problem, I would be taking a ride to the local Zuki dealership.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #25 - 06/23/12 at 09:17:03

Bamm wrote on 06/23/12 at 09:01:13:
Hey SR, Thank you for all of your insight, you helped me more than you know...

Okay, where is the key code location for the steering lock and what kind of key does it take, obviously it is not the same as the ignition.

Beth

Beth, mine is written down in the OM.   It's not on the plate or the key, but I just noticed a little plastic tab on spare set keyring with the number embossed on it.   As far as the key goes it's a nickle plated cheapie like you might get with a $5 Master lock.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #26 - 06/23/12 at 09:28:01

When I got my bike it didn't have a key for the fork lock. I had to buy a new lock for about $50 cad and drill out the old one. It came with two keys and I wanted a third, so I got one from a BMW dealer and had it cut. All that was moot, because the rake kit has no provision for the fork lock.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #27 - 06/23/12 at 13:23:48

Buy the Cole key or BMW key as suggested. Take the whole bike to the locksmith. He can either read the number code from the lock cover or use a set of picks to read the tumblers and cut you a new key. Pick reading re-key runs anywhere from $28 to $50. I can get keys for the fork lock on a 1937 Henderson bicycle locally, a late model motorcycle isn't that difficult.

If you live near an old fashioned independent hardware store, try them. I know McClendons out in Washington state carries the key blanks, $6.95 each and a couple bucks to cut your copy. Assuming you have an original to use as a pattern of course.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Bamm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks My World
Daily!!

Eden
Reply #28 - 07/05/12 at 20:31:06

Thanks for the input, ill check things out.

Bamm

IP Logged
High_Plains_Thumpr
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 07/05/12 at 22:02:02

rusty_bike wrote on 02/22/12 at 07:10:07:
I think I know the answer to this question before I ask it but here goes anyway! There is a "Neiman" key lock on the headstock that I presume is the security system. As luck would have it, we do not have a key for this. How would a fellow go about obtaining such a key?

I fixed this problem of missing key on my 1987 Savage.

Ron Ayer Fische Item #25, Part No. 51900-22662, LOCK SET STEERING, $32.06.

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/STEERING_STEM/MakeID/2/Make/Suzu...

I checked their listing for the latest LS650 (S40) on file, which is for the 2009 year model. It uses the same part number.

I took a drill bit large enough to carefully drill the key hole (1/4"? - did back in 2003  Smiley), causing all the brass tumbler pins to fall out. Now I could extract the lockset more or less per the Clymers manual, and install the new one.
It comes with 2 keys. Now you'll have one for the road and one as a spare.   Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:23:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Steering Lock

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.