Send Topic Print
Steering Lock (Read 446 times)
rusty_bike
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Steering Lock
02/22/12 at 07:10:07

I think I know the answer to this question before I ask it but here goes anyway! There is a "Neiman" key lock on the headstock that I presume is the security system. As luck would have it, we do not have a key for this. How would a fellow go about obtaining such a key?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Steering Lock
Reply #1 - 02/22/12 at 07:14:28

How desperate are ya for it? Youre riding one of the least stolen bikes on the planet,
If youre really serious about it, maybe call a dealer or stop by a locksmiths shop, or would you be just as happy putting a lock in the brake disk? You can get a lock with a flexible loop from a gun shop.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 02/22/12 at 08:00:10

the key is lost because the PO got fed up with it and tossed it over his shoulder.  the operation of it is hinkly and it's fragile

the dealer could replace the cylinder if you really want it though.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 02/22/12 at 08:54:26

the operation of it is hinkly and it's fragile

Yea, I forgot what a hassle it is. I tried it, like twice I think,, Ive left the keys in it a lot more times than Ive locked it up..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 02/22/12 at 09:11:55

Even key blanks for that lock are very hard to get -- I went through the hassle you are considering going through and have used the fork lock like ONCE in 5 years ....   fergit about it -- ain't worth it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rusty_bike
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/22/12 at 10:21:33

I bought the bike for Rusty Bike junior. He has just passed his test and moved up from a 125 Marauder. Ignition key locked it up and he was in the habbit of doing this. I can see that the fork lock could be a real pain. I was researching ignition key blanks (which are also difficult to find this side of the pond) when I found a supplier for the Neiman lock. Decision time.

IP Logged
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 02/22/12 at 12:44:26

my dad's old bike had one and i remember him taking off for work one day and seeing him do one big loop in the driveway!

i used mine a few times, but "hinkly" is probably the nicest word i could use for it. i can picture myself trying to come home from work and the lock failing to disengage! if it is unlocked, i would leave it that way  Wink

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #7 - 02/22/12 at 13:13:02

BMW use that blank, and usually have them in stock.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
rusty_bike
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 02/22/12 at 15:45:33

Thank you "sir".

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Re: Missing Fork Key
Reply #9 - 06/22/12 at 14:28:09

*bumping this thread*

I need one also. The dealer by me has blanks but unfortunately they don't have codes so what is my option? Locksmith? My bike won't have a keyed ignition so this will be my only security.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Missing Fork Key
Reply #10 - 06/22/12 at 14:31:11

Cavi Mike wrote on 06/22/12 at 14:28:09:
*bumping this thread*

I need one also. The dealer by me has blanks but unfortunately they don't have codes so what is my option? Locksmith? My bike won't have a keyed ignition so this will be my only security.

Honestly, I'd get a disc lock or a chain and padlock rather than use that for security.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 06/22/12 at 14:43:38

Why would one think it would be easier to lug around a cable and lock instead of just using a keyed ignition?

As long as some dumb joy-riding kid can't just hop on the thing and ride away, the bike will be just as safe as it would be from actual bike thieves with a lock on the wheel. If someone wants to steal the bike, they're going to steal it, it doesn't matter the security. I'm not ignorant to this fact. I'm just trying to protect it from joy-riders.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 06/22/12 at 14:53:26

A disc lock is simple and pretty small.  First, I missed that you don't use a keyed ignition.  In any case, I'm just trying to be practical.  I don't know how you'd get yours replaced other than looking for a used set to replace yours.  Like others have said, it's quirky and it sticks.  Another possible option to just prevent joyriders might be a hidden kill switch.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/22/12 at 14:55:17

My old KZ750 didn't have an ignition switch; just a well hidden toggle switch wired in and tucked away somewhere. No joy-riding kid will figure that out...

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #14 - 06/22/12 at 15:03:34

I'd rather them notice the bars were locked than have them start the bike and attempt to ride off only to ruin my brake rotor, caliper, fork and then drop the bike in the middle of the street. No one is going to see a padlock on a brake disc in the middle of the night. Hell, no one is going to see that in the middle of the day.

So, basically, no one knows how to get the lock functioning again. When I get my bike together and running, I'll take it to a locksmith and let you know how it turns out.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:14:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Steering Lock

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.