Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
'86 Savage Bobber (Read 1156 times)
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: '86 Savage Bobber
Reply #30 - 03/03/12 at 09:09:26

I forgot to mention, since you're interested in the seat and tail light.......

You have to weld on brackets on the frame to add both. For the seat, I just laid a piece of flat stock steel where the seat posts sit. The spacing between the seat posts are 7", so you need basically need to add 1" to each side of the frame. Running the flat stock all the way across the frame will give it the best structure anyways. For the tail light, I cut off the rear supports from the frame and welded the flat stock butted against those cuts, then rounded it off real nice. I'm not the BEST or CLEANEST welder, but after I made sure it was welded good, I smoothed everything out with some bondo.. The bolts on the tail light are spaced too far apart to fit on the bracket, so you have to rig a bracket for the light to mount to, then mount that bracket to the frame.

I'll take some pictures of all of that once I get my bike back. I took my bike to a reputable dealership, but they apparently hire shade tree mechanics! Took a week to order parts, then while putting the head back together, they ripped the head gasket... That was a week ago. Still waiting to get the beast back. I'm especially pissed since it's a darn near 60 degree Saturday!  Angry

IP Logged
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 03/19/12 at 16:38:43

Got the paint done. I still need to clean up some of the finish on the crankcase and on the handlebar controls (not to mention the scars the mechanics left behind, as soon as Suzuki America gives me the go ahead!)..

She's so close to being complete on a project that I am sure will never end.

About time to schedule a photoshoot  Cool

IP Logged
ohio thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 03/19/12 at 18:57:21

arteacher wrote on 02/27/12 at 13:53:53:
ohio thumper wrote on 02/25/12 at 05:29:09:
scoot is lookin very good. wouldnt worry about the belt pulley gaurd, been ridin without mine since day one. still have my leg and pants!

Looking cool is OK, but something ever gets caught in there with enough bulk to stop the rear wheel (like your foot, or a branch) and your in a lot of sh!t.
Riding is dangerous enough without removing safety features, like guards, lights, shocks, riding at night with a bike painted flat black, and front brakes.

not sure how you ride your bike, but im pretty sure my foot is no where near that pulley while im going down the road. my pant leg isnt even close until i stop at a light.

still diggin that scoot though Cool

IP Logged
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 03/20/12 at 05:17:15

yeah, if i had mid controls, i would be worried.. but with the forwards, my boots and leg clears that whole area. so unless i start dangling my feet while i drive, it won't be a problem.

IP Logged
skeebo

Ride It Like U Stole
It........

Fresno, Cali
Reply #34 - 03/20/12 at 10:13:38

Your bike has great balance, classic bobber......that stock battery however????... Wink

95'......Its Kinda Like Bobber Rode A Rat Bike To A Cafe Race.....Thing
  IP Logged
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 03/20/12 at 16:19:40

skeebo, you know darn well I'll be getting one of your boxes! those things are beautiful!

thanks for the comments. I love chopped/bobbed bikes, but usually the builder leaves them finished as rat bikes. ultimately, I wanted to build a bobber that looks like it came off a factory line by adding a good paint and a good fender. nothing against flat black, I just wanted a very shiny/sparkly bobber. oh, and most importantly, on a budget! I still have some finishing touches that need done, but she's almost there. just got the raptor petcock on and it is running greeeaaat.

total cost (including the bike): $1500  Shocked

IP Logged
jmsblck
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 04/08/14 at 04:12:53

Do you have a parts list I have a 2004 I would like to do about exactly the same thing too.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #37 - 04/08/14 at 04:27:18

jmsblck wrote on 04/08/14 at 04:12:53:
Do you have a parts list I have a 2004 I would like to do about exactly the same thing too.

x1karr0usx has not been on this site for 2 years.  When you pull up an old thread, go to the left side of the page and click on the forum members name.  This will open up his page and show you when he was last on the site, it will show an email address if he has listed one with this forum.  This will help you decide if there is any reason to post a question that will most likely never get a reply.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:20:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › '86 Savage Bobber

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.