Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
'86 Savage Bobber (Read 1156 times)
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

'86 Savage Bobber
02/21/12 at 08:27:41

I just got my 1986 Suzuki Savage project *nearly* completed. Some of the old chrome and other shiny parts have some rust and oxidation that needs cleaned up a bit more. I need to fix some of the paint, and potentially send it out for paint (provided my wife doesn't blow our tax return on furniture). And most importantly, I got to get the head cover off to fix a cap leak! But, it is done enough to put some gas in and go for a ride on this beautiful 35 degree day in Pennsylvania.

I read this forum every freaking day and a lot of the bikes posted on this forum got me hyped and inspired, not to mention the ridiculous amount of technical support. Couldn't have done it without ya!  Wink

IP Logged
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: '86 Savage Bobber
Reply #1 - 02/21/12 at 08:28:09

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 02/21/12 at 09:23:33

Youve got no idea just how savage that thing can be till you get a piece of your body in the front pulley, Whatever goes in will be something youll no longer have.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
2stroketim
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - 02/21/12 at 10:34:43

Dude - you have a nice build going there.....pay no mind to the "All the Gear, All the Time" attitude you will find here....People have been running without a chain guard since their BMX days.  Huge open primaries?  Questionable to me at best.  All I can see is my jeans getting caught in there...BUT, simply running no chain guard?  Not even a question.

It's obvious that you have put some time, thought, and effort into your ride...people are always gonna find something to complain about.  Hell, I got blasted for not having any shocks and removing my stock handle bars.   Roll Eyes

Sheesh man - if you like the guys bike, tell him.  No need to talk $hit because you personally don't like it.

I've never seen so many "bike cops".  Wowzers man.  

ThumpThump
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 02/21/12 at 11:04:42

It's a belt... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
2stroketim
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - 02/21/12 at 11:27:14

Belt guard/chain guard whatever.  Point is it's not needed, unless you run into the ATGATT County Sheriffs Office.......

My point is this:  It seems like there is a lot of "holier than thou" on this site.  If we're not running a stock bike we're stupid, or we don't know what we are doing, or we're giving motorcyclists a bad name, or we're gonna kill someone.

This site is pretty informative, and a good source of some good mods.  Just appears to me that there's a lot of "booing" at people that don't necessarily fit into a "mold". IE: Micha Spencers chop - this cat's work....

People need to keep the negative vibe to themselves.  There's a lot of bikes out there that I'm not too hip on.....but it's not..."It's ok, but IIIIIIIII would never (fill in the blank)".  Seems kinda like sneering down the nose to me...

ThumpThump
  IP Logged
2stroketim
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - 02/21/12 at 11:28:52

back on topic:
The rear led under the seat is trick.  Are you gonna get rid of the front turn signals?

ThumpThump
  IP Logged
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 02/21/12 at 12:08:56

haha thanks fellas! didn't mean to start a flame war. the entire left crankcase was marred up pretty bad, and the front sprocket cover seemed to take the most of the scratches. its beyond making it shiny again, but i might put it on and paint it. still got my left leg/foot though.

speaking of the belt....... thats the next to go! going to get the chain mod on there as soon as i can.

the tail light just worked out perfectly and i'm real happy with it. added the rear turn signals to the bottom brackets that i added to hold the fender struts. as far as the front turn signals go - i might just shorten them. i haven't found a good looking replacement yet!

i love the savage's power for being a single cylinder... that gets a lot of comments, since everyone just assumes its a 250. but, like every bike, including the brand new harley's, i don't like the way they look. i don't like the stock savage. i love the way that you sit *into* the frame, versus on top of it (like a cafe racer). this is the sole reason i bought this instead of a kz650.

but, i am pretty happy with how it is coming along. this was a CHEAP buy, and i had to trailer it home. i just dropped it off at the local suzuki mechanic to get the head cap leak fixed and i got quoted at $50. darn, i surely hope that my final bill is around that.. i usually avoid dealership mechanics like the plague.

hope the bike didn't offend you.. just trying to make my style bobber on a tight budget! and at this point, i am pretty close to what i pictured the bike finished. i call that a win in my book   Cheesy

thanks guys

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #8 - 02/21/12 at 12:23:09

What did you use for that rear fender? Looks kind of similar to the BCB fender.

How is the ride with the rear shocks set like they are? Think that is more comfortable than struts with a spring seat?

About the pulley; I rode without mine for a season. Got my front left pant leg chewed up a bit but nothing more. I ended up putting my cover back on, but that's up to you. I agree it looks better without it, I just decided I'd make some concessions between the look I want and the ride I want. To each their own.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 02/21/12 at 12:37:53

BCB wanted a ridiculous amount for their fender, so i opted out. i picked mine up at JP Cycles and fabricated the support struts for a total cost of around $140! you have to work it a little bit to wrap around the radius of the tire better.

link for fender: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/711-485

my commute to work is 45 minutes, so i needed to build a bobber that still maintains comfort. when i bought the seat (Rich Phillips Leather), the awesome harley shop i got it from threw in springs and all the hardware to rock a solo springer seat. when it was all together, it sat me up way too high on the bike like a cafe racer. so i ditched the springs and left the rear shocks.

unless im riding on the weekend with jeans, my pants are tucked into my combat boots... so, its staying off unless it kicks garbage all over my uniform before work!  Cool

IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #10 - 02/21/12 at 13:58:10

Lookin' good man.  I myself have removed the chain guard, but I left the pulley cover.  I like the look better, personally, and up here in the wilds of southern Ontario the cops can be pretty merciless with the "fix-it" tickets, so I gotta be careful.  I already got one for no front fender, so I'm in the system now.  Angry

I'm gonna bob down another front fender setup, and I'm gonna go look at a King Sportster tank tonight.  After that, the exhaust system and paint are the last to go.  Oh, and I've got some go-fast stuff coming in from Lancer, pretty soon!  Heres how she stands now (or close enough):

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 02/21/12 at 14:23:17

i just recently saw a pic of your bike somewhere... love it! big fan of that dummy oil can and the shorty battery.

and +1 to the chop cult sticker  Wink

IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #12 - 02/21/12 at 14:30:53

x1karr0usx wrote on 02/21/12 at 14:23:17:
i just recently saw a pic of your bike somewhere... love it! big fan of that dummy oil can and the shorty battery.

and +1 to the chop cult sticker  Wink

Yeah, I've been lurking over on Chop Cult for a looooong time; about a year, actually.  Great site.  I've gotten a ton of good ideas from there, The Chopper Underground, and Bobbertalk.

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #13 - 02/22/12 at 09:34:30

I like it, and really like the rear fender.  A Sparto taillight would look awesome on it.  I also like your license plate mount.  Don't think I've seen one mounted like that around here before.  Well done!

So tell me... how LOUD is she?   Cool

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Finney138

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 02/22/12 at 10:38:32

what gauge steel is that fender ?
im on the hunt for one now, want something heavy duty and not a flat trailer fender

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:22:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › '86 Savage Bobber

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.