spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Re: '86 Savage Bobber
Reply #15 - 02/22/12 at 11:44:26

Finney138 wrote on 02/22/12 at 10:38:32:
what gauge steel is that fender ?
im on the hunt for one now, want something heavy duty and not a flat trailer fender

Motorcycle fenders, like motorcycle handlebars, seem obscenely overpriced for what they are. Trailer fenders are around $15, yet if you add a little curve to it, suddenly it is a MC fender and is worth $120.

It is a shame more salvage yards don't let you walk around the place and pick out what you want, because there HAS to be a front fender off some bike that will make a nice cheap rear fender.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 02/22/12 at 12:33:21

i originally had a trailer fender on it... but turned out to be a waste of cash because it looked awful! the one i got from JP Cycles (link above) is pretty sturdy. i welded a tab on the front of the swingarm to bolt the front of the fender on to, then added tabs near the axle to add support struts. its strong enough to stay put, but i wouldn't throw any passenger's on it! the fender doesn't seem nearly thick enough to support any weight. blue collar bobbers wanted over $300 for their fender, and it is so darn tiny. wasn't worth it. i'm better with a saw and some tools than i am with a wrench and an engine  Undecided

for the license plate mount, i just threw it on to take it for a spin.. but i will probably re-mount it at the bottom of the shock instead (using the same bracket). i made the bracket out of a strip of aluminum and just bent it accordingly to hold the plate. turned out good enough to keep lol. most of the project turned out kinda lucky like that!

the drag pipe is LOUD! THUMP THUMP THUMP! it has that sweeeeet crackle like a harley. i did put a cheap baffle in there for back pressure though.

with the drag pipe and the K&N style pod filter, i thought for sure that i would have to rejet it, but not at all! runs great, and somehow lost the backfiring and shutoff BOOM along the way. nuts, that powerful blast when i turned the bike off was embarrassing!

thanks for the comments guys!

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #17 - 02/22/12 at 16:30:19

Where in PA are you located? I'm near Harrisburg and working on a similar build:

I'm in the middle of a bunch of projects... Including a trailer fender of sorts, handlebar swap (need longer cables), and bobber/cleanup of battery/wiring.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 02/23/12 at 11:09:59

im about 5 minutes from Williamsport, PA.

i was able to get away with 10" apes without needing to upgrade to longer cables. the wiring was literally a rat's nest.. either a rat or a small bird called the frame home for awhile. but, she fired right up and worked great for a project bike. lots and lots of clean up though!

the shop that's doing the head cap replacement just called to say that after the cap replacement, they found that the head gasket is throwing some leaks too... GREAT lol.

at least it will be done spitting oil all over my uniform on the way to work!

IP Logged
ohio thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 02/25/12 at 05:29:09

scoot is lookin very good. wouldnt worry about the belt pulley gaurd, been ridin without mine since day one. still have my leg and pants!

IP Logged
kutter79
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 02/27/12 at 13:34:42

Hey X1 where did you get your seat?

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #21 - 02/27/12 at 13:53:53

ohio thumper wrote on 02/25/12 at 05:29:09:
scoot is lookin very good. wouldnt worry about the belt pulley gaurd, been ridin without mine since day one. still have my leg and pants!

Looking cool is OK, but something ever gets caught in there with enough bulk to stop the rear wheel (like your foot, or a branch) and your in a lot of sh!t.
Riding is dangerous enough without removing safety features, like guards, lights, shocks, riding at night with a bike painted flat black, and front brakes.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 02/27/12 at 14:49:19

Take yer tampon out.. She's got front brakes and the paint job is, you guessed it, the last step. My uniform tucks into combat boots, so the day I get out of the army and start wearing flip flops and bell bottom cords, I'll *worry* about the front pulley guard. Until then, I might scuff my boots.  Roll Eyes

The seat is a Rich Phillips. I absolutely love it. Nothing to it either. The shape fits the stock frame nice, and looks great if you remove the rear support brackets on the frame. If you keep those supports on, I think a sportster seat with a frame mounted fender would look better. But, this seat was nice because it went with the barebones style I was shooting for. Something more *handcrafted* and old school.

On the downside... The crappy shop still has my bike waiting for the head plug and some gaskets. And it has been gorgeous weather since they've had it! As soon as I get it back, it will probably snow for a month! God I gotta move to California lol

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #23 - 02/27/12 at 16:37:07

"Take yer tampon out.."
Classy.... very classy.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #24 - 02/28/12 at 06:14:09

arteacher wrote on 02/27/12 at 16:37:07:
"Take yer tampon out.."
Classy.... very classy.

trumpery

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
frog
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

florida
Reply #25 - 02/28/12 at 11:47:41

Nice I like it I like the open belt look!
Well Done!

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 02/29/12 at 00:12:08

I like this a lot!! Seat and taillight fit like a glove!! Great job.

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 02/29/12 at 00:15:10

The seat is Rich Phillips what? They have 20 models, please specify, thanks.

IP Logged
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 02/29/12 at 04:07:11

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!