Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
this is definitely not a good sign.... (Read 533 times)
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

this is definitely not a good sign....
02/20/12 at 14:15:38

was dooing my valve seals because I get a heavy cloud of smoke every time I start my bike, but perhaps my seals were fine this whole time...

I have no idea what to do, if this is part of my head, if I can leave it, fix it, weld it, replace it,....... Sad

IP Logged
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: this is definitely not a good sign....
Reply #1 - 02/20/12 at 14:28:34

further research and inspection describes this piece as a Valve guide, which is supposed to be quite difficult to replace without proper expertise and proper tools. does anybody have any information on this piece and how one can perform the swap themselves?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 02/20/12 at 14:42:24

You're right,... not a good sign...
I think you're gonna' have to find a good machine shop...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 02/20/12 at 15:05:18

& why did it break would be another question Id have.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/20/12 at 15:08:53

beats me. ive just fabricated a punch that fits the inside of the guide, and Im hoping I can order one of these guides. did some more research and you're supposed to toss these suckers in the oven, then pound out the old guides and 'ream', whatever that means, CLOCKWISE, when you are installing the new guide. thats where Im confused. hopefully someones done this before.

IP Logged
k9500winmag

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

florida
Reply #5 - 02/20/12 at 15:24:22

If you have never used a hand reamer before i dont advise doing it for the first time your self on your motor. Find a good shop that can machine ream it or is comfortable hand reaming. If you mess up hand reaming your tolerance will be off or possibly egg oit the bore of the hole. Then you will never get another sleeve in there.

01 savage, voodoo vintage short chop frame, lowered forks, chain conversion, re-jetted, total badass attittude, Straight pipe, alien gas tank.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 02/20/12 at 15:48:14

I agree... get a shop to do it.

WWW   IP Logged
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 02/20/12 at 16:14:23

what exactly is reaming? where would be thhe best place to get it done? a motorcycle shop, machine shop, specialty fabricator, suzuki dealer?

is it an expensiv or tedious job, or can they whip it up for cheap and under an hour?

IP Logged
k9500winmag

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

florida
Reply #8 - 02/20/12 at 16:25:36

Reaming is using a specially HSS precision ground tool that "cuts" the surface of the bore. One that is made to whatever size you need is very exspensive. Unless the bore is a standard size even doing it at a shop can be pricy. Another option is line boring. Find a shop that has a HBM and it will be much cheaper. But deff go to a machine shop. Valve guides require precise work. Think of that guide as you would your piston sleeve. Same principle.

01 savage, voodoo vintage short chop frame, lowered forks, chain conversion, re-jetted, total badass attittude, Straight pipe, alien gas tank.
  IP Logged
k9500winmag

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

florida
Reply #9 - 02/20/12 at 16:28:48

I would also recomend leaving the removal of the old sleeve to the shop. So you dont score the surface. This is not a one day fix. Will probably have to leave it for a few days. As for price, first it depends on the shop, second, do not pay until job is complete and they measure everything with you present and can show it matches OEM specs.

IP Logged
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/20/12 at 16:29:11

i hope the local machine shop can pull something like that off. I was reading up on valve service, and read from a forum member you should NOT clean the valve seats. well I had my entire head soaking in hot water and soap and was just cleaning up all the oil and carbon deposits and gasket sillicone around the mating surfaces decide it would be a good idea to clean up the valve seats and spark plug area. is this a bad thing?

should i stick to pedal bikes? Lips Sealed

IP Logged
k9500winmag

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

florida
Reply #11 - 02/20/12 at 16:43:39

By not cleaning they mean no scraping or scrubbing with anything abrasive. If it doesnt come of with the soap and water, dont fret it. Just wipe it with oil.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 02/20/12 at 17:05:22

sillydilly wrote on 02/20/12 at 16:29:11:
...should i stick to pedal bikes? Lips Sealed

Grin...  Having to go to the machine shop, is not a failure of your abilities...
You've just reached a point that requires their expertise...
At this point, trying to DIY will put you on a pedal bike...

Hey!,.. wait a minute!... what's wrong with pedal bikes?... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
sillydilly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 02/20/12 at 18:16:24

k9500winmag wrote on 02/20/12 at 16:43:39:
By not cleaning they mean no scraping or scrubbing with anything abrasive. If it doesnt come of with the soap and water, dont fret it. Just wipe it with oil.

I used a brass brush and cleaned them out nice and smooth and clean, something to my understanding shouldnt have been done.

Ill go to the bike shop tomorrow to get an opinion then find a machinist whos capable of doing the task.

IP Logged
k9500winmag

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

florida
Reply #14 - 02/20/12 at 18:35:09

If you were in the jax area ide say bring em too me. Could line bore and hone/ machine ream for about 75 bucks. Including press in  new guide.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:29:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › this is definitely not a good sign....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.