Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Wow.... (Read 325 times)
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wow....
02/20/12 at 10:32:53

I am finally able to post here? Ok after four months, my build is done..

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Wow....
Reply #1 - 02/20/12 at 10:37:12

Started with a 88 Savage.. Poor condition..

Finished...

Have build pics, and part list, will never get the money I have in this bike out of it... But a fun build...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 02/20/12 at 10:43:06

Wow,, quite a change & probably a good sized lump of change,
Vera Weldon,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/20/12 at 12:46:46

Yes it was, but I did everything but the upholstery, it was fairly cheap at $90.. More pics of the build...

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 02/20/12 at 13:38:11

Huh...  You can make a silk purse out of a sows ear... Huh...

Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/20/12 at 14:44:43

Thanks to all here.. Really folks, I have been spying for four months, pilfering info from this site..  Cool  I am an old retired fart who does a bike a year during the winter.

Build list on this one includes (front to back), new front fork seals, new front brake pads, new LED turn lamps and lens, drag bars and risers, web cam, cam chain, adjuster, upholstery, progressive shocks, LED brake lamp, and several other small items..

I did a BMW last year, and an old Suzuki GSL1100 the year before..

Its all about the bike, aint it?

IP Logged
DNSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 02/21/12 at 12:55:09

Wow...really great work!

IP Logged
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 02/21/12 at 12:59:50

that is a beautiful paint job! great work!

IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 02/22/12 at 07:59:19

Thanks for the compliments.. The paint is a two stage with clear coat, a mettalic gold mist color from Dupont.. It does have flaws, I have to remind myself all I have to paint in is a 100 year old garage. I can clean and prep for days, and when I break out the gun, a group of millers hiding in the rafters takes off, or the wind picks up and blows through the old doors, just too much fun.. Huh    This has been a fun build though, actually had the funds from last sale to do as I wanted.. Thought of cafe, but everybody does cafe's or bobbers, just wanted a good town bike out of her.. It is just a good hobby, been working on bikes for 45 years, can finally relax and do it right, instead of fast..

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 02/22/12 at 12:17:50

Ive seen some pretty low buck paint booths made with pvc & drop cloth type plastic. Wouldnt have to be big, but youd sure have to wear protection. I built one in my shop by using parachute cord & the rails the big door goes up on, but I doubt youve got one of those on a 100 year old barn. Bamboo would work, it grows in the ditch around here.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
x1karr0usx

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/22/12 at 12:40:42

+1 for the protection.. i spray bombed my tank and fender, and ended up throwing up for a few days! a week later, my dad (who gave me a hand) said he finally can tastes things again  Cheesy

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #11 - 02/22/12 at 13:22:22

I painted a van in an old garage once- without a mask. I was in there all day putting on coat after coat. I was cleaning out the gun (just fried) and remembered I hadn't painted the door sills, so I go back in, open the doors and paint 'em...... and the seats and the dash and the windshield etc. and I had restored the interior first. Huh

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 02/22/12 at 16:48:14

Oh yea guys you have to have a good mask.. I am fortunate to have worked for major oil company for many years, they would update any respirators over three years old, toss the old (still good) masks in the trash (back of my pickup).. Getting hard to find filters for them though.. Can still get them through Lab Safety.. I usually just wet the floor down, crack the front door and open the large door enough to put my large window fan in and turn it to medium speed.. I made a tent type once, it didn't work, now I just don't have the room in my old shop anymore, "My name is Retread, and I'm a toolaholic!".... Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 02/22/12 at 19:07:41

Retread,, sounds like a name for someone who throws nothing away if it can be rebuilt or repurposed,

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #14 - 02/22/12 at 19:12:59

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/22/12 at 19:07:41:
Retread,, sounds like a name for someone who throws nothing away if it can be rebuilt or repurposed,

Yeah, let's go with that.  It presents a much nicer visual than someone who leaves pieces of himself all over the blacktop.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:33:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wow....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.