Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bike starts, idles but stalls when engine heats up (Read 93 times)
Haggis
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Dundee, Scotland
Bike starts, idles but stalls when engine heats up
02/18/12 at 11:16:32

hello everyone,
Now that winter is almost over here in Scotland hmmmm!! My attention has turned once again to my Savage.

Got it at the tail end of last year and not used it, as my one and only ride on it didn't go too well.  

I bought it off ebay, just serviced and MOT'd. 13000 miles on the clock 1994 model.  It started up no problems, sat at idle while I put on helmet and gloves etc and off I went, got a mile along the road when the engine just died.  Took a good few minuted to start again but did get me home.

Got a friend to have a look, he cleaned out the carb adjusted a few bits here and there, put in fresh petrol etc and tested the bike again It started, idled but then died  when the engine heated up, he reckons it is burning oil too.

He was going to get space in a friends garage to get a proper look but that just hasn't happened and circumstances mean that he can't help me just now.

I really want to get this bike running and am looking forward to a summer of fun, has anyone got any ideas what the problem might be?

The nearest bike mechanic is only two miles away and i'm temped to try and get it to them, but I just wonder if there is anything obvious relating to the Savage that might help.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Bike starts, idles but stalls when engine heat
Reply #1 - 02/18/12 at 11:44:58

At 13,000 miles, Its really time for a look at the cam chain. Sorry to be the bearer of such good news. As for it dying once its warmed up, you sure youve got the idle set right? Needs to be turning 1,000 rpm or a hair better. Low idle starves the top end for oil, wrecking the head bearings that the cam spins in,. So, just cuz it sounds cool with a low idle isnt a good enough reason to let it idle slow.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #2 - 02/18/12 at 12:30:15

If you have a PRIME setting on petcock then try that.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
Haggis
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Dundee, Scotland
Reply #3 - 02/18/12 at 12:32:54

Hi again
thanks for the reply, the engine idles at a bit over 1000 revs, this was checked after the first incident by my friend, who is very mechanical minded and fixes all the bikes for the local bike club, but he has never worked on a savage before.

I have a Clymers manual that I got with the bike, the previous owner was also a bike enthusiast who unfortunately had to give up biking due to illness, he hadn't used it for a year or so but had kept it mechanically sound and thankfully knew about the cam chain issue and Smiley had it replaced at the last  service and MOT.

I'm not sure how to explain all of this to the mechanic down the road and am a little wary of doing so without knowing the terminology etc, being a woman I always feel patronised by mechanics and would like at least to seem to know a little about the subject before approaching them for help, so any info here would be appreciated.

The friend who looked at the bike last year said it might need gaskets changed because it is burning oil, but to be honest he could have told me it needed a new engine and a flux capacitor and I would have believed him!  possibly not the flux capacitor I might  not have fallen for that one, but only because I have seen back to the future more than once Grin.  
I'm not totally hopeless honest! I can change oil and filters, check tyre pressure etc but when people start talking stripping engines I do get worried
Smiley

IP Logged
Haggis
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Dundee, Scotland
Reply #4 - 02/18/12 at 12:39:43

Once again thanks for input
tried the prime setting no luck Sad

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 02/18/12 at 13:17:37

1st off... welcome   Grin

you can get to know your bike better by reading the owners manual.
if you don't have one... here's a copy...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1138554254
there are also links to the repair manual, but one in hand is always best.

just to be sure, the prime position is with the lever pulled back.

cutting out after a few minutes usually is a petcock problem as ours is vacuum operated.  and if the vac line goes bad, it will shut off.

another possibility is the fuel level is low, so you could need to be on reserve (that's with the lever pushed forward)

another cause is the screen on the inlet of the petcock is clogged or varnished over.  To check that you'll need to drain the fuel and remove the petcock.

now as to "burning oil" to be technical, there's burning oil and leaking oil.  burning oil a gasket kit won't fix.  leaking oil can be, but in many cases, tightening a bolt or an application of RTV will do.  Let us know where it leaks and we can point you in the right direction.

WWW   IP Logged
Haggis
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Dundee, Scotland
Reply #6 - 02/18/12 at 13:56:56

Hi
thanks for the link to the manual, i got it on her before but have since changed computers, so you saved me a search  Grin  On to the oil question, no leaks, the bike has been covered up under one of those tent like contraptions with a light blue groundsheet for the winter, not a mark on it!  which I am assuming in some way is good.  I've emailed my friend to ask him if he remembers exactly what was going on and when he gets back to me i'll try and explain in more detail.  

The fuel line is clear and I can see that there is fuel getting to the through all the time and the petcock is standard and new. Kiss

As soon as I have more details I'll post here, thank you all again
Dee

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 02/18/12 at 14:31:13

There are two safety cut-outs,.. one for the sidestand and one for the clutch lever...  if these connectors get corroded, they will cause an intermittent stall as you describe...
Disconnect,... clean with wd-40, contact cleaner, or rubbing alcohol,... and reconnect these plugs... at the left handlebar lever (two wire).. and under the seat (it goes down to the sidestand)..

Also,.. here's a complete test for the petcock... it's an easy test, and a bad petcock will cause some crazy symptoms... Always rule it out as a possibility before seeking other remedies...
Test your Petcock,.. don't just turn it to Prime..

Best of luck and welcome... Wink...

« Last Edit: 10/18/14 at 09:47:14 by Serowbot »  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 02/18/12 at 15:31:31

Haggis, all you will get here is the best help we can give. Okay, okay,, you MITE get a smart alecky answer once in a while,, but Generally, we are a pretty decent bunch,
Good to hear the cam chain issue has been dealt with.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 02/18/12 at 15:49:56

The carb could be running rich as well.
Runs ok when cold (like when it needs the choke on) but as it warms up and needs the leaner mix as when the choke is off the "too rich" mixture causes it to falter and die.
When your friend cleaned the carb did he take note of what size jets were in the carb ?   Or if the white spacer was still on the jet needle ?

IP Logged
Haggis
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Dundee, Scotland
Reply #10 - 02/19/12 at 02:57:44

Thanks for all the replies and welcomes  Cheesy
Lancer, not sure if Garry took notice of any of the carb details, still trying to get hold of him to find out exactly what his thoughts were, as earlier mentioned he is not in a position to help me at the moment, but hopeful can reply to my email.   Unfortunately for me he also has the keys for my savage, so I am hoping he gets back from his travels soon either to give me the keys back or get the bike to his mates shop for further investigation.  I'm just getting really frustrated now as the weather has been showing signs of spring and to me that means  two wheels instead of 4!

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 02/19/12 at 03:33:02

One thing for sure, it doesn't really matter how well your Savage is running w/ keys, if you don't have the keys Roll Eyes

But while you don't have keys, why not remove the fuel line from the carburator, then put the petcock in "prime" position, (lever toward the back) and see that there is a steady flow of petrol from the hose.
If there is, you have eliminated any problem of running out of fuel when you get on the road.
If there isn't, you must find the restriction by removing the petcock/screen assy.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #12 - 02/19/12 at 04:47:23

If it stumbles before it quits it might be that the gas cap vent is plugged, which causes a vacuum in the tank, which eventually stops the flow of fuel to the carb. After it's sat for a few minutes the pressure equalizes and it will start again and run for another little while. When you get your keys back loosen the gas cap and see what happens.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:25:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike starts, idles but stalls when engine heats up

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.