Send Topic Print
New Savage Owner (Read 108 times)
Eicas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Savage Owner
02/17/12 at 10:10:11

I bought a 99 Savage back in Dec. for $500 with intentions of doing a bobber.  I was greatful to be able to do some research here before the purchase and have been trying to join for a few months.  Every time I tried to register I would get an error message.  Tried again last week and it finally worked.
The Savage has 11,000 miles and had been sitting out in a backyard for some time.  Its obviously been laid down before and the engine was covered in oil from a leak.  The owner said he thought it had a blown head gasket.  He also said he the front brake acted weird.  I found zero brake pad - metal on metal and was fairly confident that the oil was from the head cap seal from research here - thank you all.  I'll post some pics.  I need to get to 10 post count so I can message Verslagen about modding my cam chain tensioner.

IP Logged
Eicas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: New Savage Owner
Reply #1 - 02/17/12 at 10:18:42

Here is the bike after as purchased but after numerous cans of degreaser and carb cleaner

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 02/17/12 at 10:18:47

11,000 miles, the brakes had been gone a while. Good time to change the brake fluid. If you lose prime in the master cylinder, its a hassle getting it back, I dont sweat grooves in a disk, as long as it isnt warped. Im happy enuff. As soon as the pads seat into the grooves, the brakes have more working area. I had a 78 pontiac with huge grooves, that thing stopped like nobody's bidniss!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eicas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/17/12 at 10:26:22

Not sure why my photo says its been deleted.  Just created a photobucket account and followed the instructions from some other threads - no dice.

IP Logged
Eicas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/17/12 at 10:29:49

I took the bike apart down to the engine and frame.  The caliper needed to be rebuilt.  The puck was way far out and the seals looked dirty.  Brake system is back together but still needs a good bleeding.  I rebuilt it and I've got wheels back on the bike.  I'd like to get some photos up but still trying to get that to work.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 02/17/12 at 10:32:50

Just open the bleeder & put a hose on it, into a jar & wait, keep the master cylinder full & it otta just do it by itselof.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eicas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 02/17/12 at 10:42:16

Have to go get a bottle brake fluid and give that a try.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 02/17/12 at 11:04:01

Eicas wrote on 02/17/12 at 10:18:42:
Here is the bike after as purchased but after numerous cans of degreaser and carb cleaner
http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w492/Motophoto2/Savage%20Pics/th_2011-11-...

It looks as if some of the code was truncated.  make sure you get all of it... has to end with "jpg"

WWW   IP Logged
Eicas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 02/17/12 at 11:14:37

Thats the bike now- not after purchased.  Not sure how that happened.

IP Logged
Eicas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 02/17/12 at 11:18:05

Stock bike

IP Logged
Eicas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/17/12 at 11:23:08

Thanks Verslagen.  I got it now.  Did you go to photobucket to grab the photo in your post?  If so, how come its bigger than the one I posted when I uploaded them all the same.  Did you modify the properties?  I didn't want to go too big but mine is a bit small.

IP Logged
Eicas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 02/17/12 at 11:35:07

I'm switching to a raptor petcock.  Broke down the wheels and had the hubs powder coated OD green and the rims black.  Bought new spokes and relaced the wheels.  I'd love to black out the engine but that will have to wait I think.  I'm using some Blue Collar Bobber kit pieces - seat and rear fender.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 02/17/12 at 11:56:46

Eicas wrote on 02/17/12 at 11:23:08:
Thanks Verslagen.  I got it now.  Did you go to photobucket to grab the photo in your post?  If so, how come its bigger than the one I posted when I uploaded them all the same.  Did you modify the properties?  I didn't want to go too big but mine is a bit small.

It was screwy.
I copied the address of the broken link and pasted it in the address bar and as expected it said screw you, so I trimmed the address hoping to get the album and it said same.  Changed the address to "www" and got photobucket at least, then pasted the address in that was after the original link, truncated a bit and finally got the album.  Then just picked a pic or hovered over it till a larger image came up with links to share.  Didn't change nothin' just pasted it in.

WWW   IP Logged
drd1135
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Southwest Virginia
Reply #13 - 02/19/12 at 06:29:51

Well, it's starting to look good now.   Maybe it's best to forget and move on.     Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:34:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Savage Owner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.